The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Problems...What else is new?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
So I talked about this in my build theard a year ago but hoping to yield so more answers. I will try to keep the story short:

Last year January 2021, I have my TOB and clutch master (or slave?) cylinder replaced under warranty. Since they were dropping the transmission, I decided to have them put in an Exedy Hyper Single. I get the car back a couple weeks later and I was (still am) having an issue where I sometimes cannot put the car in first after starting the car. At stop lights I would have to turn the car off and put it in first then turn it on. Any other time when driving, shifting would be flawless. It is quite embarrassing in a parking lot when trying to park that I some times have to turn my car off to go in reverse or first. To this day I am still having this issue after trying all of the following:

Vacuum bled the system
Pumped the clutch pedal 100000x
changed the reservoir cap
replaced the reservoir to the clutch slave cylinder with the steeda tube.(this helped a lot but didn't completely fix)
adjusted the MGW reverse lockout (I know it wouldn't do anything but I was desperate)
bled the brakes

I did all of the above and a year later I still have issues. At the time I decided to just put up with it and since I'm still covered under powertrain to just wait until it goes all the way and have it replaced. Before the warranty work it never did this and I don't see how it would get like this after a clutch change. I went back to the dealer and they said that they couldn't reproduced the problem but I went for a test drive with the service advisor and he kept forcing into first and I told him it should be that hard to do. Now I'm thinking my shift forks are bent due to forcing into first. some times Iwhen shifting I can feel in my hand grinding or as though the transmission is still spinning. I suggested maybe the tech didn't install it back right but was told that's not possible.

What do you think is the issue?

The only stopping me from taking it back is that I know there is a long wait on transmissions but I might have to or just buy a used Transmission and have a local shop rebuild it.

Last edited:
So, if I gather this correctly, you're saying that when the vehicle is off you have no issue putting it in first and that the issue is only occurring while the engine is on? Does it feel completely normal while off like it was prior to the Exedy? That may lead me to think that the throwout bearing isn't fully disengaging the clutch (especially with the knowledge that the solid clutch line was the biggest change). I know the GT500 and regular GT TOBs have different installed heights (while looking identical at a glance) and there are spacers on the market to get them the correct distance to the pressure plate for S197 cars, not sure if S550s also have those variations. While the rear is jacked up (unloaded) with the car in first and the clutch depressed, do the rear tires spin at all?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
So, if I gather this correctly, you're saying that when the vehicle is off you have no issue putting it in first and that the issue is only occurring while the engine is on? Does it feel completely normal while off like it was prior to the Exedy? That may lead me to think that the throwout bearing isn't fully disengaging the clutch. I know the GT500 and regular GT TOBs have different installed heights (while looking identical at a glance) and there are spacers on the market to get them the correct distance to the pressure plate for S197 cars, not sure if S550s also have those variations. While the rear is jacked up (unloaded) with the car in first and the clutch depressed, do the rear tires spin at all?
you are correct. I was thinking the same thing that the TOB isn't fully disengaging the clutch but when I expressed that to the service advisor, his response was as though I was wrong. He called a tech and said that if the TOB was the issue then I would be experiencing that thought all the gears. I know the spacer you are talking about and when I read on that info last year I double checked to make sure I had the right part number installed. I even reached out to Dean Martin at Kohr about it regarding the need for a spacer.

Did you use the TOB that came in the kit (if you bought a kit) or was it the OEM-installed one (aka no change, just the clutch and pressure plate)? Which Exedy part number did you order and have installed?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
the TOB was replaced under warranty so OEM. I got the Hyper Single which is flywheel, pressure plate and clutch.

Does the exedy clutch require the removal of a spacer behind the TOB?? Was this done?
I'm pretty sure the spacer was only installed on the 2011 and early 2012 S197 models, if that's what you're mentioning. They revised the TOB landing pad for late 2012.
2011 - Early 2012
1645061579521.png
Late 2012+
1645061597782.png

If the clutch is still grabbing while the pedal was down, moving the TOB even farther out of engagement (if there was a spacer there) with the pressure plate likely wouldn't solve the issue.

Honestly sounds like you need someone to pop the trans off and take a look.
You may want to ask Hambone if he found a solution, since it sounds like he had a similar issue.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Does the exedy clutch require the removal of a spacer behind the TOB?? Was this done?
No it does not.
I'm pretty sure the spacer was only installed on the 2011 and early 2012 S197 models, if that's what you're mentioning. They revised the TOB landing pad for late 2012.
2011 - Early 2012
View attachment 72685
Late 2012+
View attachment 72686

If the clutch is still grabbing while the pedal was down, moving the TOB even farther out of engagement (if there was a spacer there) with the pressure plate likely wouldn't solve the issue.

Honestly sounds like you need someone to pop the trans off and take a look.
You may want to ask Hambone if he found a solution, since it sounds like he had a similar issue.
I think I messaged him last year. I found a few member with problems that were similar to mine in some aspects. Couldn’t really come to a conclusion.

I don’t know what part of Maryland you are in but I just sent an email to Glen Burnie Transmissions based on a recommendation from member in a local mustang group. I’ll see what they can do.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
If its still under warranty. I would let the dealer fit it.
Thats what i would like to do but like I said it does it very often but not every time. Last time i went there The service advisor was able to witness the issue but when he took it in and they got to my car, they couldnt replicate the issue. I will go tomorrow since I'm off tomorrow and see what they say.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
so today I decided to take the mustang out to the gym since the weather finally was above 60. On the way there everything was normal when I got in to come home, the pedal was to the floor. I started the car and couldn’t shift into second and it stalled. Was able to make it home. It is going to dealer in the morning. Now I’m sure it’s a faulty TOB or slave cylinder. I just hope that its still acting like that in the morning since they have to witness the issue. What will make me mad is if they say that’s normal for the pedal to be that low. That’s what happened the first time and 3 dealerships and shops thought I was stupid for saying the clutch pedal was too low and something was not right. They kept saying it was normal to have that amount of play. I had to wait until I couldn’t shift at all for them to believe me. I just don’t want too much back and forth since I’ve made several trips there about this after they did the first warranty work. Anyways wish me luck.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If you're tracking the car it's just a matter of time before the stock clutch does a lot of damage to the trans.
There is no fix for the stock clutch, other than putting a good aftermarket racing clutch in. It's just not up to the heat, loads and harshness that road course work puts on it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
If you're tracking the car it's just a matter of time before the stock clutch does a lot of damage to the trans.
There is no fix for the stock clutch, other than putting a good aftermarket racing clutch in. It's just not up to the heat, loads and harshness that road course work puts on it.
Hey JDee. All this started happened when I(the dealer) put in the Hyper Single. They were replacing the TOB and slave cylinder under warranty so I used the opportunity for them to install the hyper single

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Sorry, thought you had stock clutch.
I have the Hyper Single as well, it's been flawless so far, a little funky in reverse but that's not really a big deal. Dealer maybe boogared something up in the install? I took my car to a shop that specializes in modifying Mustangs, that could be why it has been no problem.
Not sure dealers are good places to have aftermarket parts installed, every time I go there I feel used...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Sorry, thought you had stock clutch.
I have the Hyper Single as well, it's been flawless so far, a little funky in reverse but that's not really a big deal. Dealer maybe boogared something up in the install? I took my car to a shop that specializes in modifying Mustangs, that could be why it has been no problem.
Not sure dealers are good places to have aftermarket parts installed, every time I go there I feel used...
That’s why I was contemplating having a shop do it but for a shop to drop the trans and do a diagnosis on another shops work is not in the budget unfortunately. You are right about the clutch. Was flawless on my last track day but I know something is up with the transmission or hydraulic system itself.

just dropped the car off 20 min ago. Hoping there isn’t a long lead on the parts. Mentally I have planned for a 3 week turnaround if just TOB and slave cylinder. We shall see

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
As a mechanic, fab shop supervisor and fleet manager I've seen both sides of this problem. Sometimes the dealership is the magician and solves the problem and you feel like an idiot and sometimes the dealer is so daft you wonder how they manage to tie their shoes. That's when it was just more efficient to take the bull by the horn and figure it out ourselves.
There are a number of things that can fowl up a clutch job.
Sure was nice when there was an "inspection" cover you could drop and see exactly what's going on with the clutch in there. Makes me think that I'll pop a hole in mine when I drop the trans so one could use a bore scope to see what's happening.

TMO Supporting Vendors