The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Problems...What else is new?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
It could’ve been the way I installed it. Never bled my MC when I bled my brakes before track days. I saw a thread on how to do it but didn’t think it was necessary. I will be going with a divorced set up within two weeks to help the issue.
I mostly think it's heat to be fair as @PaddyPrix has similar problems but he has the divorced set up.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
It could’ve been the way I installed it. Never bled my MC when I bled my brakes before track days. I saw a thread on how to do it but didn’t think it was necessary. I will be going with a divorced set up within two weeks to help the issue.
If you never bled your MC, and this includes the bench bleed, well, you'd be scared for your life, fully unable to stop the car after frantic pumpings, but that issue would mostly be related to your brake system, and not the transmission. the transmission usually holds pressure just fine, as long as you don't disconnect the hardish line between the slave cylinder/bellhousing. and your master cylinder to relieve all the pressure, because I think as long as the MC stays higher, it won't bring air into that system all the way down there.

I mostly think it's heat to be fair as @PaddyPrix has similar problems but he has the divorced set up.
yeah, mine was heat, but the proper pairing of the proper PP Master Cylinder and PP Brake Booster, but my transmission was solid during the whole time. Although, I'm slightly different as the 18+ setup is slightly different, with a different version of the transmission, a dual mass flywheel, twin disc clutch, integrated bearing, shorter slave cylinder, and of course, the gear ratios.

Utah
I have been running a 2006 Saleen S281SC (supercharged) 5spd Tremec 3650 on the track for the last 3 years and as far as I know it was on the opriginal factory clutch at 35,000 miles. No clutch problems at all. In February 2022 switched to a 2013 Mustang GT MT82 6 spd with an aftermarket Exedy Sport clutch (organic disc like the one the Op picturted. On the 4th track day this year with my 2013 GT, the clutch exploded at about 7000 rpm. The hole in the bellhousing were small slits rather than a big hole so was resuaeable after fixing the slits.. I happened to have an exact same spare brand new Exedy Sport Clutch (organic disc). However, rather than put the exact same Exedy Sport clutch /pressure plate assy, I bought the Exedy Hyper Single EH06SD1 which I hope to perform better for track use.

exedy exploded clutch 1.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors