The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Transmission Fluid Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have searched the forums looking for information about changing the MT82 transmission fluid in my Boss 302. I want to change it because I have heard that the Ford Motorcraft XL-18 Additive (which I added) is not recommended anymore because of long term issues with oil/seal compatibility? When I started looking for the recommended transmission fluid I found that Ford is recommending it's Genuine Ford Fluid XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid? It must be some good stuff as it sells for $32/qt. What is everyone using? Since I still have some warranty (trans has 30k miles) left I would not like to stray too far from Ford's recommended fluid.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what the dealers use when performing the TSB for notchy shifts when cold. My car didn't really have that issue, but even though it only had 9k miles the original fluid was 4 years old so I had it done. Shifts are smoother.

drano38

Wayne
I've used Redline MTL for the last couple years.
Ships from Jegs in a couple days.
A fare amount of people on here have been using it for their track cars.
And its a whole lot cheaper that Ford Dual Clutch.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Red-Line-Oil/816/50204/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Another Redline user. I use Redline for trans, differential and engine. Have a store close to me that sells all their products and has it in stock to actually walk out with.

Why is it when I go to the websites (Redline, Amsoil, Joe Gibbs) they say they don't have a recommendation for the manual transmission fluid for our vehicles? Royal Purple is the only one I have found so far besides Motorcraft?:

Recommendation:
Warranty Compliant Recommendation
MAX GEAR-GEAR OIL 75W-90
Capacity: 2.75(qt.)

Tim

No one makes a fluid that matches the Ford XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid specification. The QDC fluid is really thin and does improve cold shifting performance.

I have also used the Redline MTL and would recommend it if you track the vehicle. It does not meet the current Ford QDC specifications, but did meet the original fluid specs before Ford changed the recommended fill. Basically, the MTL is not as thin as the QDC and does not shift quite as well in cold weather. But, the MTL is half the price facilitating more frequent fluid changes for HPDE vehicles.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
I just swapped in the fluid combo recommended by Ben Calimer (if you aren't familiar, he rebuilds and upgrades MT82s).
The combo is 2 qts Amsoil Synchromesh and .7qt Amsoil Gear oil (the 75W-90 API GL-4 one)
The transmission drops into gear noticeably smoother. Cold nibble is still there but a little bit better, and the fluid seems to reach operating temperature (becomes smooth) quicker than the stock fill.
Not night and day, but definitely noticeably better than whatever came with my 2014. The mix is also a bit thicker than the stock fill so it should protect the trans from wear better.

Thanks for all the information. I ended up buying Ford XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid from K-Manparts.com for $22/quart.

http://k-mansparts.com/motorcraft-dual-clutch-transmission-fluid-xt11qdc-detail.htm

Tim

Tim is there a link to the XL-18 being an issue? I added the XL-18 to mine about a year ago. I found this link on which cars had the older oil and which had the newer XT-11-QDC. Mine was built on 3/16/12 so it had the XT-11-QDC but did not have the XL-18 additive they starting putting in transmissions after July of 2012. Since I did not replace the Trans oil I just added the XL-18 per the fluid chart below:
Fluid Chart from Motorcraft:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

Link to forum post on oil and additive: (see post 204)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update-14.html

thehueypilot said:
I have searched the forums looking for information about changing the transmission fluid in my Boss. I want to change it because I have heard that the Ford Motorcraft XL-18 Additive (which I added) is not recommended anymore because of long term issues with oil/seal compatibility? When I started looking for the recommended transmission fluid I found that Ford is recommending it's Genuine Ford Fluid XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid? It must be some good stuff as it sells for $32/qt. What is everyone using? Since I still have some warranty (trans has 30k miles) left I would not like to stray too far from Ford's recommended fluid.

Tim

Calif boss302 said:
Tim is there a link to the XL-18 being an issue? I added the XL-18 to mine about a year ago. I found this link on which cars had the older oil and which had the newer XT-11-QDC. Mine was built on 3/16/12 so it had the XT-11-QDC but did not have the XL-18 additive they starting putting in transmissions after July of 2012. Since I did not replace the Trans oil I just added the XL-18 per the fluid chart below:
Fluid Chart from Motorcraft:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf

Link to forum post on oil and additive: (see post 204)
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update-14.html

I was asking the same question after reading the same link you posted (post #239) as Ford quickly stopped using this additive with no explanation as to why they stopped adding it. I laughed about the funny comment she made (Ford Rep) about asking your dealer as to what they recommend. Post #209 had a link to what this stuff had in it but it does not work any more. I just decided to get rid of it (change oil) in case it had any long term effects after the warranty expires.

Tim

After getting the standard fluid very hot at the track a few times, i was starting to have issues with engaging some gears while on track (HOT!!).
I swapped in the Redline MTL fluid as everyone has mentioned, and it was noticeably better. It took a little more effort when the trans was cold, but once up to operating temperature, felt great. It also held up to the heat on track better than the standard Ford fill.
At the end of the season last year, I had it swapped with BG Synchroshift II, and what a difference! Cold shifting was way improved, and when it got hot at the track, there were no problems. BG has a great warranty coverage, and I have seen quite a few track friends take advantage of it. If you do your initial change prior to 36k, and every 30k thereafter, BG covers $4k replacement for the trans.
If you are in the Detroit area, go see Kenny at Kenny's Lakes Area Auto Experts www.lakesareaauto.com
Here is a link to the BG coverage details: https://www.bgprod.com/programs/lifetime-bg-protection-plan/

I also use BG synchroshift II in my MT82.
You will notice a little notchiness when cold, compared to the ford fluid, but the ford fluid has low viscosity.

I finally got around to changing the oil in the transmission. The old fluid was black with only 30k miles on the car. I have only taken the car to the drag strip once (6 passes) and the Dragon's Tail twice so I would not think the oil should not normally be this black in a standard transmission. I did add the XL-18 originally so maybe that turned the oil black? The new oil XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid was a golden yellow/transparent color. After driving about 60 miles with the new fluid I have noticed no change at all in the improvement of the sub-standard shifting characteristics of this transmission.

Tim

TMO Supporting Vendors