The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mt82 removal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
Boss 302
do you guys pull the factory H pipe (with cats) to R and R the trans? Looks like it should clear. But I'd rather know prior to trying to pull the trans. Its on a 4 post lift with trans jack. Just me pulling it myself.

The nuts for the exhaust are nice and rusted. Ugh

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Absolutely yes.

Here’s why. You’ll have to pull the trans back several inches to clear the trans main shaft from the clutch assembly, and during the reinstall you’re going to need the extra wiggle room. Remove the mid pipes as well.

Once the exhaust is removed remove the DS & don’t let it hang from the Diff. Pinion Shaft.

Question, are you doing this to replace the clutch assembly?

US
Absolutely yes.

Here’s why. You’ll have to pull the trans back several inches to clear the trans main shaft from the clutch assembly, and during the reinstall you’re going to need the extra wiggle room. Remove the mid pipes as well.

Once the exhaust is removed remove the DS & don’t let it hang from the Diff. Pinion Shaft.

Question, are you doing this to replace the clutch assembly?
Thanks fir the advice. I did end up pulling the whole center section of the exhaust off. It sucked. Rusted on. 33k miles on the car and no winters. Go figure. Anyway, it completely stripped the threads off one of the studs at the header collector. Got it off, already took driveshaft out. Then I pulled the top bell bolts and pulled the trans out. I have a set of long tube headers sitting in the corner. Im debating about putting them in. Problem is I can already see getting to the header bolts is gonna suck. I'd be deleting the cats probably too since i have an off road H pipe sitting here too.

And yes the trans lost 4th syncros and totally lost 3rd gear ( bent or broken fork ?)
I have an excedy twin disk here and a new slave cyl tob as well. With the mgw race shifter and separate fluid reservoir, I think the weak links are covered now. And the high rpm reluctor wheel i bought too.

I did appreciate the extra room with exhaust out. And im gonna look for threads on header swaps now to try to get motivated to do that job while trans is out. Any tips are welcome!
Thanks!

20200730_221801.jpg

20200730_221751.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Nice garage set up. It looks like you have everything you need.

But while you’re there:
Inspect the OEM plastic hyd clutch line. I replaced mine with Ford Racing’s stainless steel line. It was pricy, but aftermarket SS line solutions are available for 1/2 that price.

Inspect the DS center support & joints. Note: A one-piece DS will shave off quite a few pounds of rotating mass. I used an aluminum 1-piece DS similar to Ford Racings unit. A noticeable difference.

Will you send your MT-82 to Ben Calimer ? He has excellent MT-82 solutions.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Just be careful to properly route and secure those blue O2 harnesses when it's all back together. One of mine was not secured and ended up melting against the header and shorted out causing blown fuses (#49 ) and limp mode etc. PITA !! o_O

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nice garage set up. It looks like you have everything you need.

But while you’re there:
Inspect the OEM plastic hyd clutch line. I replaced mine with Ford Racing’s stainless steel line. It was pricy, but aftermarket SS line solutions are available for 1/2 that price.

Inspect the DS center support & joints. Note: A one-piece DS will shave off quite a few pounds of rotating mass. I used an aluminum 1-piece DS similar to Ford Racings unit. A noticeable difference.

Will you send your MT-82 to Ben Calimer ? He has excellent MT-82 solutions.

Dido on that.... Would go with one of Bens trannies... We got so good at changing MT82s that we could swap them in a afternoon. If you already killed a couple of syncros I would go with the Calimer Stage 3 for some peace of mind.

Full Disclosure... I killed about 5 of them :rolleyes: (at least).... finally settled on a Stage 3, Hoping it lasts!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ok, forgot to mention. before the stage three, the best tranny I had was a calimer Stage 1. That one lasted me two seasons in two series so it was about 40 race days plus practice days. The stock repaired MT82 units would last a season

US
Thanks for the help guys!
I am going to try to install these dynatech headers . I can't see pulling the kmember with it on a 4 post lift . I am going to try to do 1 side at a time and pull the motor mounts and the bracket that connects it to the block. Wish me luck!

Couple questions-
Is this a stock clutch line? Looks like ss braided to me. I bought an extra just in case .

Also is this a cj high rpm reluctor wheel already installed? Or is american muscle ripping me off?
It would be odd that I have a cj ring already installed....and a stock clutch. But it has a ss line? Wtf?

20200801_161701.jpg

20200801_161549.jpg

20200801_161442.jpg

20200801_161231.jpg

20200801_161216.jpg

20200801_161212.jpg

20200801_161209.jpg

20200801_161202.jpg

20200801_161145.jpg

20200801_161135.jpg

20200801_161108.jpg

20200801_161104.jpg

20200801_161059.jpg

20200801_161055.jpg

20200801_161051.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
That is a SS braided clutch line, (aftermarket type). Other than the ‘hit’ on the disc, it looks surprisingly good. It’s a Ford OEM unit, and yes they were made in Turkey.

They PN sticker is AM’s cataloged/inventory number & yes it looks like you have the CJ Pulse Ring X2.

Also, did a see a Tremec Trans Box?

US
I have studied these 2 rings and I can see absolutely no difference between them.. so someone must have already changed it. Car had brake cooling ducts too so it was obviously tracked. Odd they put the stock clutch back in.

Ill return the new reluctor I guess .

And yes that's a tremic box that I got the 2013 stock mt82 in. Came out of a local guys boss with 12k miles on it. He went with a 6060. Im gonna run this stocker again for now but I can obviously ship this core out for a built trans should this happen again. Hopefully the better twin disc clutch and the better shifter and blip shift will allow this one to last a little longer.

The stock clutch had a defect. Looks like a washer got impregnated under the friction material and it's eaten into the pressure plate face. Solid 1/2" of groove on inside . Flywheel has similar wear groove. But yes the heat marks look reasonable otherwise.

20200801_170634.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
There’s at least one, maybe two gaps on the ring that are noticeably spaced out farther than the others. I think that was the only valley that was built up with extra material. If you measure from the top of the tooth to the valley of the wide gaps, that’s the comparison you’ll want to make between the two rings.

US
You are correct! That wide valley is just a tad shallower on the cj. I guess if that makes all the difference- ill run it. That makes way more sense- you wouldn't install a cj and a stock clutch.

You know what I cant find- a damn clutch alignment tool! I have at least 3 if not 4....somewhere! Lol they don't rent em at local parts store. I have several arp bolts to order from summit for the headers etc. Ill get another from them.

Thanks a bunch!!

US
Well i strapped up the passenger side of the motor off the strut bar and pulled the motor mount. The stock header came off pretty easily. The dynatech header fits easily in there. I could probably use the factory studs again. I don't have new exhaust gaskets. You guys reuse your stock metal multilayer gaskets?

If you leave the upper 2 bolts out of the bellhousing and the inner PITA starter bolt out, or replace with with a stud, it will make trans changes at the track a whole lot easier..so I've heard..kinda..

US
Lol i won't be swapping the trans at the track. But the 3rd starter bolt will not go back in. I did change the starter last race at the track. The top 2 bell bolts are not hard to get to from the top. Ill put them back in.

I did find the passenger motor mount nut was not even hand tight. One header stud totally not on the driver side. One of the 2 collector nuts was missing. Totally. One motor mount bracket to the block was loose. Lots of little stuff. This is why the pit crew checks EVERYTHING. Ill be going crazy with my paint marker on reassembly.

TMO Supporting Vendors