The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 repairs/upgrades/parts/tech advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and definitely a worthwhile venture for those folks with the MT-82. Had a factory replacement of second gear on my first Boss ( used ) and surprisingly to me, my second Boss needed a fifth gear synchro. It was also used and was very surprising to me that fifth gear was shot , as this is not a commonly used gear and it was never shifted in anger.
What one wonders , is with your replacement of parts with those both beefed up and with tighter tolerances , are you still finding the notchiness when cold? Not mentioned, but both of my Bosses needed a gentle hand when the weather was cool , and I instructed fellow owners that a very deliberate , soft shifting mentality would benefit them greatly in the long run. The MT reminded me of many of the manual transmissions of old , being sensitive to cool weather , more so than other current transmissions ( Tremec T6060 for instance). Thanks for your contributions and I have a feeling you will be a lifesaver to many Boss and GT Stang owners.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Actually loosing the 5th gear syncro is quite common.... at least for me!! Its happened twice now!! I just received my AMP stage two kit and will have it installed asap.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, that just seems so strange, but interesting to know I was not the only one to loose one of the top gears. Seldom used and definitely shows the weakness in the M-80 , er MT-82, ha.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Here is a quote form Ben Calimer....."That 5th is a hard one to keep alive. Very poor design" the first time it went was bizarre as it was on the highway and I was not pushing that hard. Second time was after a ton of track time, In the Future will keep the 5th gear shift below 7000

20150618_090853_zpsv7zc86lf.jpg

Just for comparison sake.

ed55a1c3-fe90-43d0-a4e6-977edd06272b_zpsj9akfo3g.jpg

Areas circled in color show irregular tooth profiles on the factory gear leading to gear whine in the unit.

MT8216Atooth_zpsnmw6qwef.jpg

Compared to our gear which is consistent, machined with tighter tolerances and operates quieter.
Mike,

Thanks for all the inputs, have a question on gear whine, what does that sound like exactly. My car has this high pitched whine starting at about 40, almost sounds like a rear bearing except its coming from front center. I was also thinking that two piece drive shaft. It doesn't seem to change in frequency with speed which is odd. Your thoughts?

Thanks

My name is Mike with AMP Distributing. We've been invited to create a thread to assist BMO members with tech advice, parts availability and repair services. Please feel free to post in here with your questions related to the MT82. You can also PM us if you prefer. I will respond as soon as possible.
Hi Mike,

I have been trying to get in touch with anyone from AMP Distributing but unfortunately have had no response.
I have ordered 5x Items from your company through ebay and waited over a month but have not yet received them.

When i sent an e-mail to AMP Distributing through ebay, i was given the following answer - We do not know why you have not received your items, we can send you the items again or give you a full refund.
I definitely need the items therefore that was - The Items.
The next day i was given a refund on my items!

It has been more than a month and i still cant fix my gear and cant drive my car.

I would really appreciate your help in this matter as this is very urgent.

Thank you in advance.

@Fahad Welcome to TMO. You should try sending Mike a message and see if he responds. Were there shipping issues to Bahrain?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response.

Isnt my post sent to mike?
How can i send him a direct message?

Yes, there seemed to be an issue with the delivery to bahrain even though on ebay - it clearly mentioned that they deliver to Bahrain.

Any help will be great.

Thanks Rick

@Fahad Welcome to TMO. You should try sending Mike a message and see if he responds. Were there shipping issues to Bahrain?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi Fahad, I found the website much better for ordering then Ebay.... https://ampdistributing.com/

Ordered many many.... many MT 82 parts from them...... But I send them to a shipper in Miami and then they send too me here in Chile (its cheaper)

Never had decent results with AMP through ebay (they don't list all the parts)

DFW, TX
I'm looking at this old thread, and the input shafts pictures are misleading in strength. The after market part will break at the root of the splines. The Ford part is actually properly designed. The root diameter of the spline needs to be the same or preferably greater than the diameter of the the shaft. It's cheaper to make the aftermarket part the way it's pictured but it's not really much stronger, it just concentrates all the stress in the spline area since that's the weakest point. Rant over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi Fahad, I found the website much better for ordering then Ebay.... https://ampdistributing.com/

Ordered many many.... many MT 82 parts from them...... But I send them to a shipper in Miami and then they send too me here in Chile (its cheaper)

Hi Mad Hatter,

Thanks for your message. I go through ebay because i know that it is safe and they have a full refund service and other other services.
I just need anyone from AMP to respond to my messages but unfortunately i am getting no answer from them. I tried facebook, here, i called them and nothing.
They only responded when i sent an email to ebay that my shipment did not arrive.

This is truly frustrating.

It is over a month now and still cant fix and drive my car.

Yes the trans scoop. :rolleyes:

Haha, I figured! Just wanted to confirm. Hey it's Saturday morning right? Do you have an idea of the gauge of steel (it is steel correct) they are using? I was actually was thinking about buying a small brake. I could pick up a decent break/shear combo for not much more than scoop cost. I bet I could bend and tig something up similar.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Annangrove. NSW Australia
My name is Mike with AMP Distributing. We've been invited to create a thread to assist BMO members with tech advice, parts availability and repair services. Please feel free to post in here with your questions related to the MT82. You can also PM us if you prefer. I will respond as soon as possible.
Hi Mike, would you have a parts list and or schematic for a MT82-D4. I need a 3rd Gear countershaft and 3rd gear mainshaft. Have already bought some parts from AMP distributing. Service was awesome. Thanks

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Hi Guys,

If we buy the parts do you sell the tools need to work on these?

Also, there's been a lot of opinions flying around on which tranny fluid to use. From my reading it seems there's a lot to be said for the BG Syncrho Shift II or the Motorcraft kit, but curious what you guys think since you're in these transmissions all of the time.

TMO Supporting Vendors