The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 repairs/upgrades/parts/tech advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Last year when I had my trans rebuilt, Ford was recommending their Motorcraft DCT fluid for the MT82. Based on that I bought Motul DCT fluid, which meets the Ford DCT fluid spec. I have just finished my 2nd summer on that rebuild and everything is still working fine.
Prior to the rebuild I had used both BG syncroshift and Ford's previous trans fluid and neither of them were any good on track. After the rebuild I also put a trans cooler in so I'm not too sure which did the trick, the fluid or the fluid cooler, or the better quality parts used in the rebuild? Or maybe a bit of all 3?
A fluid cooler's not that expensive or hard to put in and it's good insurance, I'd highly recommend that.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I would not think so. In general, if you keep your shifts below 7000 rpm, the mt82 should last a long time even with the stock oils. Its when you stress the thing, that it starts failing. Oil cooler and the best oils you can get help out for more robust use...too a point.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was all set for a Tremec as well, but @Fabman and his tremec failure had me thinking again... These things fail with the hard use we give them at the track. At least for now, just went and rebuilt my stage three. Cost me US$2000 and the previous one lasted two years. Fingers crossed.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I was all set for a Tremec as well, but @Fabman and his tremec failure had me thinking again... These things fail with the hard use we give them at the track. At least for now, just went and rebuilt my stage three. Cost me US$2000 and the previous one lasted two years. Fingers crossed.
Unfortunately the magnum wasn’t designed to shift at 8200 rpm.
Neither is the mt82.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Last year when I had my trans rebuilt, Ford was recommending their Motorcraft DCT fluid for the MT82. Based on that I bought Motul DCT fluid, which meets the Ford DCT fluid spec.
Тhis is what I'm using and minus a very small leak from the shift selector. I'm very happy with the Motul DCT.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
On my Calimer stage 2 it was 4th gear at a little over 1100 miles. Took out everything in the trans. I will let JeffV8 answer on his experience with the Calimer stage 2.

Monaca Pa
2nd gear syncro’s I think. I didn’t notice any difference with the Stage 2. Then what makes me think their work is shoddy is when I told them I wanted them to tap a hole for my Transmision sensor. When I put trans in my temp gauge did not register. Pulled sensor and this was what I found. I would not trust their work.4DFA7BEB-CB45-482E-8838-0393F2A81F54.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
It irritates me to hear stories like that. It’s actually what made me decide to handle my own build, SMH.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
On my Calimer stage 2 it was 4th gear at a little over 1100 miles. Took out everything in the trans. I will let JeffV8 answer on his experience with the Calimer stage 2.
Can you elaborate a little more on exactly what the conditions were when your 4th gear went? I’ve read more than a few horror stories about customers with failures, including this guy in the video below. I also talked to Calimer on the phone about buying a set of the billet gears that they use in their Stage 3 builds and they said they wouldn’t sell them unless they were building the tranny for a customer. I then asked if they knew where I could get some OEM gears and was told I’d have to get them from the dealer, but everything was on back order and that’s why they buy used transmissions to get parts for their builds.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Florida
Did your Stage 2 have Cryo treated gears? Was it the heat that caused the gear to break apart? I’m just curious and trying to understand what the limits might be for my tranny which has everything Cryo’d (gears and shafts) and an external fluid pump to help keep the gears at the front of the tranny lubricated under heavy acceleration. The spray pattern from the two fittings are directed at 4th gear.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I just found and joined this forum, which looks great to me!!! I've been doing trackdays with my 2015 FT PP for 6 years. This summer the 6th gear Syncrho went out. Was going to send to Calimer but have seen a lot of issues and quality concerns posted.

I also looked at updating to the Tremec Magnum XL but I don't like the ratio mix they have and 3160 are hard to find. So I'm working on what to do with my MT-82. I found a remanfacturing business near by that sounds like they has a good quality control process, but only rebuilds to factory specs and parts. I found another shop that said they would rebuild with a Carbon Fiber or any kit & parts. That's how I ended up here, looking for a kit.

So I"m stuck with do I go back to OEM with the reman place that as good quality control or go with another good local shop that will build with a kit I provide? And what kit would that be?
My transmission has lasted me a long time... I usually avoid mid summer trackdays to avoid some of the heat and only do about 4 a year.

This my spreadsheet I used that shows I would be doing 2, 3 shifts most of the time with a Magnum XL:
1671659036252.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and we hope to see you at some of the events in the Midwest. I am sure you will have quite a few folks who have made switches chime in and at present who are you considering using to beef up your MT-82?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
I just finished the install of my new mt-82 from Lashbrook. So far, it feels beautiful. The shop that put it in normally installs Calamar stage 3's and they said the Lashbrook makes less gear whine than the Calamar so far. I am still breaking it in since new Hyper Single and new MGW shifter. I know Lashbrook will sell what ever parts you need too. I just wanted someone to put it together that knows what they are doing and is going to back up their work.

TMO Supporting Vendors