The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Still struggling with shifting after modapalooza

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
On my car, I'm having some issues with the 3-4 shift.

The setup is a racecar with:
Stock MT82 (with fresh Redline fluid fill)
Mcleod RXT clutch (recently serviced/re-lined)
MGW Gen2 (non-race spec) mounted on a Gaprider (blowfish type mount to transmission)

When the car is off, this thing feels like a rifle bolt. Perfectly shifts without effort.

When the car is running, two symptoms:

1) In First and Reverse, difficult to get in gear from stop and there's some very slight creep once in

2) I have a hard time with 3-4 shifts on the road course. 4-3 is super easy, but I either get caught in the gates on 3-4 or it feels notchy and takes effort to line it up and in (takes the kind of force single-arm curling 35lbs feels like). 3-4 is a very common shift in racing conditions, so I definitely want to resolve this to prevent a confidence or competitive issue down the road.

Based on the descriptions, I think I need to space out the slave cylinder slightly, as the rebuilt RXT did seem slightly thick on lining. I haven't scratched any gears on shifts, however, I'm not certain I'm getting full disengagement of the clutch. I don't miss every 3-4 shift, but at high RPM I miss about 20% of them, or take a long time (more than 1s) to complete the shift. Over the weekend at a road course, I had to do the shift right on the main straight where a flag station was, and the flagger asked me why I would pause going by him. Wasn't on purpose.

I do have a 3/16" shim for the slave cylinder I will install, but was curious if anyone else had any thoughts on this. I could also sell all the shifter setup and just get on a MGW Race spec, but didn't want to start spending money without a sure idea on where to go next. I'll post video shortly.

With you saying it's hard to get in first and reverse and you said it creeps it sure sounds like clutch is not disengaging. At what point does the clutch engage. Close to the floor?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmm, If its a shifter issue its usually the 2 to 3rd and the 4th to 5th shift that get lockout (at least for me). Thats when the engine torque twists the shifter out of alignment. Sounds like you have a clutch or shifter setup problem??

I went through three MT82's in less then two years. Once I got a Ben Calimer stage one box I have not had a problem and its been just over a year now with 20 odd track days

Hey Cap'n - you are describing some of the same symptoms that I have been dealing with for years unfortunately. I am still looking for answers and the fact that the RXT didn't solve your issues gives me pause for thought. I have a Spec Stg 1 clutch and alloy flywheel and had a new Ford slave installed with it, then tried another slave AND a shim per Spec and that didn't help either.

My car also shifts perfectly when car is off, but is very stiff once moving and I am locked out of gears a huge percentage of the time when shifting at high revs. Only difference with you is that I have no clutch creep or difficulty engaging 1st or reverse at a stop.

Mad Hatter keeps singing the praises of the Calimer rebuilt MT82 and I may just bite the bullet and do it one day. Here is a thread I started recently:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11667.0

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I know.... sorry to keep banging on about the calimer tranny. But I was feeling sick about killing three transmissions and so far so good for me. Spec 2+ also helped I imagine.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter - I think you are probably right, that my transmission might be the problem, although it has exhibited the symptoms from day 1, and never got that much better with all of the typical "help the MT82 shift better" products that I've thrown at it. The fact that it shifts so perfectly with the engine off seems to tell me that my problem is clutch or hydraulics related.

Captdistraction - any updates from your end?

Well hurry the heck up! Hah just kidding. I am very curious myself and am waiting to hear what you discover before I finally pull the trigger on an RST.

I too have had the 1st and reverse issue for almost two years now. I am now on my 3rd tranny with my most recent one being installed 6 weeks ago, having no effect on the 1st and reverse issue. In addition to turning the car off to get it in 1st or reverse, I have found that tapping the throttle will cause the RPMs to jump and then drop to say 500, and when it hits the very low RPMs I am able to make the shift, at least some of the time :p

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
LS110 said:
I too have had the 1st and reverse issue for almost two years now. I am now on my 3rd tranny with my most recent one being installed 6 weeks ago, having no effect on the 1st and reverse issue. In addition to turning the car off to get it in 1st or reverse, I have found that tapping the throttle will cause the RPMs to jump and then drop to say 500, and when it hits the very low RPMs I am able to make the shift, at least some of the time :p

Is this the third tranny with the same clutch?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel