The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Tech from Grassroots Motorsports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick I know where you are coming from, the car is great and it is hard to admit the problem is there. If you feel it now it will not get better, at least that has been my case. STIG302 if you do not feel it yet I assume you be OK, it is not every car and in fact a minority. While people know I have a faulty trans I am not running all over the web complaining about it, I have replied in a few threads. The Boss is a great car and I am happy, I also have a dealer that could not be better. Ford will need to fix this problem and I think they will when they figure it all out

I doubt they are going to jump on a quick fix so I do not mind waiting a little bit. It is not killing anyone, yes it is annoying but not unsafe. They need to find a proper fix to avoid the cost of a double fix.

I agree, Scott. I read about the MT82 issues before I bought my Boss. That's why I purchased an additional extended warranty to cover me to 100,000 miles. I hope Ford figures it out soon, if not, it may affect sales on GT and Boss.

GA
STIG302 said:
I agree, Scott. I read about the MT82 issues before I bought my Boss. That's why I purchased an additional extended warranty to covet me to 100,000 miles. I hope Ford figures it out soon, if not, it may affect sales on GT and Boss.

You can't beat a race car with a license plate and a 100K warranty. My salesman called me last night and said Ford is now offering 0% for 60 months on 2012 GT's, and I have a $750 off coupon and X-plan (Boss excluded, of course), so it is tempting to go for a YB 401A Premium GT with 3.73 and Brembo package that is in the area. I need to be patient. To quote my ancestor, "If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

5 DOT 0 said:
I've been hesitant to post this but my car now has 700 miles on it and the grinding hasn't gotten any better. When cold my car grinds badly on the first few times I shift into second. It's so bad I usually start driving the car from second when cold. It's also pretty crunchy going into fourth but nothing like second. Once warm the car shifts good with only a light touch needed to shift from first to second and second to third at WOT. I've never missed a shift when warm at WOT. I can still get some crunching going into second or fourth when warm and shiftly slowly but it's not common. I'll be lodging a complaint to the dealer when I take it in for a 1,000 mile oil change.
Why would you be taking it to a dealer for your 1000 mile oil change???? What does something like that cost??

STIG302 said:
Old school engine break-in oil change at 1000. My dealer gave me a free first oil change and I used it at 1000 also.
Yep and with 8.5 quarts of Motorcraft synthetic oil it's over $100. :eek:

What type and grade of oil is recomended if your Boss is not running at the track and just a weekend street runner. Can you get by with mobil 1. I'm at 800 miles and 1000 will be here before I know it.

boss man said:
What type and grade of oil is recomended if your Boss is not running at the track and just a weekend street runner. Can you get by with mobil 1. I'm at 800 miles and 1000 will be here before I know it.

IMHO you do not need to change the oil at 1000 if you are not tracking it. You want to add gold trim to Saudi private jets or buy Chavez another AK-47 to hand out that is up to you but not needed. Ford is saying 10,000 miles, I think 6,000 will be fine for overkill. If you are worried about the first change I still would not do it before 3K.

The Mobil One is a good oil and I plan to stick with the 5W-50, besides recommended weight it would also be good for warranty purposes.

2012YellowBoss said:
boss man said:

IMHO you do not need to change the oil at 1000 if you are not tracking it. You want to add gold trim to Saudi private jets or buy Chavez another AK-47 to hand out that is up to you but not needed. Ford is saying 10,000 miles, I think 6,000 will be fine for overkill. If you are worried about the first change I still would not do it before 3K.
The Mobil One is a good oil and I plan to stick with the 5W-50, besides recommended weight it would also be good for warranty purposes.
+1 As far as the weight goes. I'll probably go 7500 between changes. I don't buy from Citgo, so Chavez is on his own and the Saudis aren't too capable when it comes to aircraft maintenance, so they keep buying equipment from us. ;)

I went to my local Ford dealership for an oil change, but was talked out of it by the team of technicians assembled around my car. They said, if I wanted to play it safe to bring it in around 4500. They said the oil would look brand new if they pulled it out now. I think I will take mine in at 3500.

jpl5007 said:
I went to my local Ford dealership for an oil change, but was talked out of it by the team of technicians assembled around my car. They said, if I wanted to play it safe to bring it in around 4500. They said the oil would look brand new if they pulled it out now. I think I will take mine in at 3500.
The theory on changing motor oil early on new cars is to get any metal particles from machining and building the engine out of the block. it has nothing to do with the oil being spent. It's $100 on insurance I'm willing to spend.

5 DOT 0 said:
I've been hesitant to post this but my car now has 700 miles on it and the grinding hasn't gotten any better. When cold my car grinds badly on the first few times I shift into second. It's so bad I usually start driving the car from second when cold. It's also pretty crunchy going into fourth but nothing like second. Once warm the car shifts good with only a light touch needed to shift from first to second and second to third at WOT. I've never missed a shift when warm at WOT. I can still get some crunching going into second or fourth when warm and shifting slowly but it's not common. I'll be lodging a complaint to the dealer when I take it in for a 1,000 mile oil change.
So I woke up yesterday morning to find out the tranny fairies swapped out my MT82 overnight. My car had sat for three days and I when I went to drive it yesterday morning my first shift was very smooth with no grinding. Today was the same and I spent the morning driving around town shifting through 1-4 and it was nothing but snick snick changing gears. I almost wonder if this is a clutch issue, something like the 2011 cars have. Anyway stayed tuned to see if the tranny fairies are playing a cruel joke on me of if my tranny and clutch are finally broken in. ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
The theory on changing motor oil early on new cars is to get any metal particles from machining and building the engine out of the block. it has nothing to do with the oil being spent. It's $100 on insurance I'm willing to spend.

I changed mine the day I got it home for this very reason. Then I changed it again at 2200 miles after it was fully broken in. The oil that in it now will stay for around 5 -6K miles. (unless I start tracking it. ;) )

As far as the Trans goes, mine shifts like a hot knife thru butter. But I did buy the extended warranty just in case.

[quote author=BossJockey
As far as the Trans goes, mine shifts like a hot knife thru butter. But I did buy the extended warranty just in case.
[/quote]

+1 on the warranty.

TMO Supporting Vendors