The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT82 Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgBoss

I bought my Boss at the end of July, #1222, almost 1,000 miles on it now. I wasn't aware of the cold transmission issues until about a week later when it took 15 minutes to get it in reverse. I don't think it would have mattered anyway - the car is a beast, regardless of whether I have to warm it up for 10-15 minutes like I did with the cars I had in high school.

If I don't care if I have to spend a few grand to get an outstanding transmission rather than wait for Ford to admit there is a problem with what comes with the Boss, what suggestions do you all have as far as getting a new gearbox? Is it as simple as going to the Ford dealer and asking them to put the GT500 manual transmission in the car or is there something better out there? I live in GA so any suggestions as to what to get and who to put it in would be helpful.

15 minutes to get it into reverse? I would suggest that you first bring it to the dealer the night before so that they can look at it when it's fully cold. There is more going on than what people have otherwise experienced. You problem can be clutch or shifter related, and have nothing to do with the transmission. There are a number of clutch minor issues that people have been dealing with, but because of all the Internet "noise", everyone blames the transmission.

Just checking, you know that you have to push down on the shift lever to engage reverse, right? What happens when to you try to find reverse? What do you feel? What do you hear?

Otherwise you will spend several thousand dollars to deal with an issue which you may not actually have, and not have a warranty on it to boot. If you happen to later suffer from the typical trans problem, you should consider being patient until Ford has a proper fix for it.

You’ve probably tried this, but just in case…. Next time it will not go into reverse
- put trans in neutral
- let clutch all the way out (with engine running of course)
- push clutch in
- put in reverse
I must do this occasionally with my TKO equipped 96 Cobra.
- Jim

I bought my Boss at the end of July, #1222, almost 1,000 miles on it now. I wasn't aware of the cold transmission issues until about a week later when it took 15 minutes to get it in reverse. I don't think it would have mattered anyway - the car is a beast, regardless of whether I have to warm it up for 10-15 minutes like I did with the cars I had in high school.

If I don't care if I have to spend a few grand to get an outstanding transmission rather than wait for Ford to admit there is a problem with what comes with the Boss, what suggestions do you all have as far as getting a new gearbox? Is it as simple as going to the Ford dealer and asking them to put the GT500 manual transmission in the car or is there something better out there? I live in GA so any suggestions as to what to get and who to put it in would be helpful.
#1222 is my Boss now. Did you buy her new?

TMO Supporting Vendors