The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm cool with the sides uncorked and I'm old school as far as the noise. I'll check out the PN you gave earlier & then make a decision. Thanks!

cloud9 said:
stumpy said:
Cloud9,
Thanks for the reply and input. My Boss is almost entirely street driven, with an occasional trip to Road Atlanta or to the drag strip on Friday nights. In your opinion, would the Corsas be too loud for everyday use (if that is possible!).
IMO if you're good with the side pipes completely uncorked, you'd be happy with the Corsas in terms of volume.
Did you leave the side pipes open along with the Corsas or put the restrictor plates back in?

Hey Arizona,
Have you used the Roush axle backs before or heard them? How did you make your decision to go with them versus Magnaflow, Corsa, etc. Just curious.
I don't want to spend big bucks & then find out I messed up on choosing the wrong system. Trying to do my homework as best I can before pulling the trigger.

1BadBoss said:
Did you leave the side pipes open along with the Corsas or put the restrictor plates back in?
I left the side pipes open to get the least restriction possible with the factory emissions systems intact. I don't think that much exhaust flows through there though now that the back pressure is minimized from the Corsas. Someone weighed the side pipes at 5.5 lbs each so I also don't see much benefit in removing them and installing the GT mid-pipe. Just let it breathe ;D

stumpy said:
Hey Arizona,
Have you used the Roush axle backs before or heard them? How did you make your decision to go with them versus Magnaflow, Corsa, etc. Just curious.
I don't want to spend big bucks & then find out I messed up on choosing the wrong system. Trying to do my homework as best I can before pulling the trigger.
Nobody thinking about borla ? I wonder why. No drone from them sounds like a good thing to me. I'm thinking about the borla s type myself. Anybody have any experience with them.

stumpy said:
Hey Arizona,
You can go to Borla's site and hear the difference between their models. I've personally heard the Borla's on a Jeep Hemi. Best I've heard next to the Roush on a 427R. The Roush got my attention from about 20 yards as he backed out of a parking spot.
Here's a link to a comparison of Magna vs Flowmaster: http://www.autoanything.com/articles/magnaflow-vs-flowmaster-which-exhaust-system-sounds-the-best.aspx
There are a lot of forums out there with many opinions. You know what they say, "Opinions are like camaros. Almost everyone has one." ;) But really, it is strictly your preference over anyone else's. After a lot of years around aircraft engines, my hearing isn't what it used to be (so my wife says). My preference wouldn't be the same as someone else's.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Stumpy: There are tons of videos on youtube of the Roush exhaust on '11 and '12 GTs and they sound great. Not to mention they are one of the least expensive muffler systems out there.

Regarding Borla: I'm not considering them because their price for a set of MUFFLERS is simply astronomical. I had a hard enough time coughing up $390 for the Roush set, most of the Borla kits are in the $750+ range.

Thanks Arizona,
I plan to do some internet searching before I decide. I like that deep, old school rumble. Should sound good after we get the Tracpack software (if that ever comes).
I had Magnaflow on my Raptor & I really wasn't too pleased with the sound of it. It was loud enough, but not deep enough in tone for me.

stumpy said:
Thanks Arizona,
I plan to do some internet searching before I decide. I like that deep, old school rumble. Should sound good after we get the Tracpack software (if that ever comes).
I had Magnaflow on my Raptor & I really wasn't too pleased with the sound of it. It was loud enough, but not deep enough in tone for me.

I put the Roush axle backs on mine. I love the sound of it. I don't know if you've seen the few videos I posted or not, but here you go again if you need to see them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-chToY0UbCw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwcOKiYzLo

cloud9 said:
1BadBoss said:
I left the side pipes open to get the least restriction possible with the factory emissions systems intact. I don't think that much exhaust flows through there though now that the back pressure is minimized from the Corsas. Someone weighed the side pipes at 5.5 lbs each so I also don't see much benefit in removing them and installing the GT mid-pipe. Just let it breathe ;D
How would you test the flow thru the side pipes?

NCCSTUD,
Thanks for posting the videos. Those sound great. I'm leaning toward the Roush myself, right now.

cloud9 said:
As far as the weight someone on another forum weighed the stockers at 26.8 lbs so someone's scale is off. The Corsa Extremes weigh 12 lbs each.

I don't have great confidence in my scale - the battery went dead right after the weigh-in that day ???

Anyone looked into the Ford Racing mufflers? They seem to cost right around the price of the Roushes.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Installed the Roush mufflers the other day and love them. Great growl, very loud when you get on it, but pop it into 5th or 6th and cruise and they are very quiet.

Some drone under throttle at low RPM but that is to be expected.

They do seem to have reduced the amount of sound coming from the sidepipes due to the reduced backpressure, but you can hear them quite well under deceleration still.

Arizona,
I went with the Roush on mine too. Removed the side restrictor plates & put the Roushs on at the same time. I've experienced the same thing you did. Loud when you get down on it, but quiet when in 5th or 6th on the highway.
My wife says, "too loud!". Confirmation that I'm about right on the noise level (ha,ha). Only problem is what to do when my county's finest gets right behind me. Guess I'll find out how quiet I can keep them then . . .
Stumpy

Just installed the Borla "S" type exhaust and must say that I am very pleased with the sound. I was looking for something that is only loud when I want it to be, like at idle and when you get on the gas. No drone at any speed and the great deep throaty sound at idle. Sounds great when you get on it too. I was worried that it might be too loud while cassually driving around, but they are perfect! Feels like a little better throttle response too. It is a different sound (deeper) than in the Borla ad video. I believe the difference is due to the side exhaust, I have the 1/2 inche hole in the restricter plates. I must say that this is by far the BEST sound I have hear yet. Not too loud while driving around like some of the other exhaust I've heard (like Roush), a little louder than stock thou while driving on freeways but not much and that great sound at idle and at take offs. :eek: :eek: This was exactly what I was looking for, very pleased and a must upgrade for you Boss owners. This exhaust is going to sound awesome with the TracKey installed!!

TMO Supporting Vendors