The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was thinking about eliminating the whole exhaust system after the side pipe junction. Should save a lot of weight. I dont have my car yet so I dont know if it is practical or will work.

Just eliminating the back exhaust would not work as the side sections don't flow nearly as much as the rear section. Making an entirely new side exist would work if you wanted to bother.

I don't have my car yet(supposedly this Thursday it will be here), but I have Roush axle backs sitting around waiting to be put on when the car arrives. Once I actually get my car and manage to take myself out of the driver's seat, I will shoot a video and upload it to youtube.

BossJockey said:
I remember someone installing GT500 mufflers on there Boss, but I can't find that post.

I don't think I ever saw that one. I did see one where Borlas were installed though. There wasn't a drive by video or anything of that. Just of it idling.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I am for sure pulling the plates after delivery. If that's not enough, I will probably go for the Roush ABs instead of the SVT ones.
I don't want to repeat my process with my '06 where I bought GTAs and then decided they weren't loud enough so I then bought Borla Stingers. I'll just go straight to the loud stuff.

I am waiting until I get Track Key. But after that I have always been saticfied with MagnaFlow so I will be getting a set of MagnaFlow Streets. And yes I have removed my baffales.

Flowmaster American Thunder axle-backs went on this afternoon. It sounds great. I already had the side exhaust discs out, but this lowered the exhaust note considerably.

There was a question of weights earlier. The stock mufflers were 21.4 lbs.
2011-07-07170341.jpg

The Flowmasters are 14.4 ibs.
2011-07-07170551.jpg

Some other pics and a video here. Unfortunately I lent my video camera to my daughter last week, so the sound is terrible here using a cell phone.
http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n635/digicowboy1/Boss%20Exhaust/
I hope to follow up with a better one later.

If there is interest, I can post a walk thru if some of you are planning on changing them. It is not a difficult job. I did it using ramps, compared to the 2010 GT I did on jacks/jackstands. Much easier. For under $50 you can't beat those Blitz ramps. I had to get the 12,000 lb truck model to accomodate the Boss's rear tire width, but it made the job easy.

DigiCowboy said:
It is not a difficult job. I did it using ramps, compared to the 2010 GT I did on jacks/jackstands. Much easier. For under $50 you can't beat those Blitz ramps. I had to get the 12,000 lb truck model to accomodate the Boss's rear tire width, but it made the job easy.
Have you used those ramps on the front? Was wondering if you need additional transition ramps due to the lower clearance.

Good question ... not yet. I plan on using them for oil changes and I am pretty sure they are going to work stock. They claim 17 deg. incline works for low clearance cars.

The reviews are mixed on that point. One guy said he had a slight rub, but it worked fine on his corvette. Another added a wood strip extension. I was thinking I may have to drill a hole in the garage floor and use a drop pin to lock them in place to prevent slipping. They held good today, but the rubber piece underneath will probably wear off eventually.

I will keep you informed. It sure beats jacking, although I still stuck 2 jackstands under there. Better safe then sorry, especially when it's your life :-X

Race Ramps will work but they are a LOT more expensive.

http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-56-inch-race-ramps.aspx

DigiCowboy said:
I was thinking I may have to drill a hole in the garage floor and use a drop pin to lock them in place to prevent slipping. They held good today, but the rubber piece underneath will probably wear off eventually.
Did you get them online? Another option I'm thinking about would be to use those anti-slip adhesive backed strips used on stair treads or paint that does the same thing.

I got them at a local Advance Auto for the same price as online.

5 Dot: I looked at the race ramps - nice but like you said, a LOT more expensive. Like most tools though, probably worth it if you use them enough.

Hi,
Atlanta newbie here. This is my first post. Great site! I'm learning a lot from the tech posts already and I appreciate the good information. I'll try to contribute in the days ahead, hopefully.
Thinking about removing the discs and going with axle-back. Been looking at Roush and Magnaflow on CJ Pony website. Any thoughts out there on which is the best? The Maganflow is about $200, more than the Roush.
Appreciate your input.

Stumpy
#0118 Comp. Orange Boss

I have the Corsa Extremes and they sound great. Sounds very similar to the side pipes without discs. It does move most of the sound to the back of the car, although there is still some exhaust coming out the side. Best validation was when I finally got my wife to a track day after all these years and the thing she actaully commented about how much better my car sounded than the others :D She said it was easy to find me on the track and she said it sounded better than all those other cars you were passing lol.

As far as the weight someone on another forum weighed the stockers at 26.8 lbs so someone's scale is off. The Corsa Extremes weigh 12 lbs each.

cloud9 said:
I have the Corsa Extremes and they sound great. Sounds very similar to the side pipes without discs. It does move most of the sound to the back of the car, although there is still some exhaust coming out the side. Best validation was when I finally got my wife to a track day after all these years and the thing she actaully commented about how much better my car sounded than the others :D She said it was easy to find me on the track and she said it sounded better than all those other cars you were passing lol.

As far as the weight someone on another forum weighed the stockers at 26.8 lbs so someone's scale is off. The Corsa Extremes weigh 12 lbs each.

May I ask what the P/N was for the Corsa Extremes? I tried to get the Corsa Sports that I took off the 2011 GT I had and they did not seem to fit. The angles of the pipes were different. Thanks

Cloud9,
Thanks for the reply and input. My Boss is almost entirely street driven, with an occasional trip to Road Atlanta or to the drag strip on Friday nights. In your opinion, would the Corsas be too loud for everyday use (if that is possible!).

GotCurvz said:
cloud9 said:

May I ask what the P/N was for the Corsa Extremes? I tried to get the Corsa Sports that I took off the 2011 GT I had and they did not seem to fit. The angles of the pipes were different. Thanks
No problem. It's part # 14317

stumpy said:
Cloud9,
Thanks for the reply and input. My Boss is almost entirely street driven, with an occasional trip to Road Atlanta or to the drag strip on Friday nights. In your opinion, would the Corsas be too loud for everyday use (if that is possible!).
IMO if you're good with the side pipes completely uncorked, you'd be happy with the Corsas in terms of volume.

TMO Supporting Vendors