The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mulally's plan paying off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford (F: 15.78, +0.24, +1.54%) posted its best results in 13 years. The company reported earnings of 62 cents a share, excluding one-time charges, easily topping consensus estimates of 50 cents. The automaker benefited from strong demand for fuel efficient vehicles and strong global growth.

It's nice to see Ford and the American auto makers do well. Looks like the new Fiesta is helping drive sales. Here's a link to the WSJ article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703778104576286611476898164.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

Good news for Ford overall. But, I just heard from my dealer yesterday that Mustang sales, both new and used, are pretty soft right now. I've had my '07 listed for nearly a month now and haven't had any serious interest, so (gulp) I might have to trade it in. Recent NADA and Kelly BB clean trade figures run yesterday say my '07 V6 premium should trade at about $14,975 at 31,000k miles. Retail says about $18,000. I have it listed at $16,495 with no bites. Maybe its the market in general. Maybe its the crappy spring (really?) we've had here in MN.

What I'm really surprised about this that new Mustang sales continue to lag behind Camaro sales. I know bow tie folks are pretty passionate about their rides too, but if you read the tests and opinions of the car mag writers, the current camaros aren't even close to the Mustangs in ride or performance....

While I agree the Mustang is better than the Camaro in both looks and performance IMHO, the issue is more about saturation. The Camaro was in hiatus for 8 years between 2002-2010 so there is more pent up demand for it. Ford's had great success through the 2000s, particularly with the 2005+ redesign, but now the market's becoming saturated. A better comparison of sales figures would have to include Mustang sales during that period where the Camaro wasn't available. If they both just launched in 2010, I would argue the Mustang sales would be 2 to 1 over Camaro.

GA
jimprw said:
Good news for Ford overall. But, I just heard from my dealer yesterday that Mustang sales, both new and used, are pretty soft right now. I've had my '07 listed for nearly a month now and haven't had any serious interest, so (gulp) I might have to trade it in. Recent NADA and Kelly BB clean trade figures run yesterday say my '07 V6 premium should trade at about $14,975 at 31,000k miles. Retail says about $18,000. I have it listed at $16,495 with no bites. Maybe its the market in general. Maybe its the crappy spring (really?) we've had here in MN.

What I'm really surprised about this that new Mustang sales continue to lag behind Camaro sales. I know bow tie folks are pretty passionate about their rides too, but if you read the tests and opinions of the car mag writers, the current camaros aren't even close to the Mustangs in ride or performance....

I think part of lackluster Mustang sales has to do with the economy, but I really think the root of it is the styling changes made to the 2010+. Ford had a winning formula in the 2005-2009 that appealed to their loyal fan base and to new ones (like me). People I talk to love the new drive trains but have mixed feelings about the new styling and it keeps them from trading up. Ford has also been limiting the option combination availability in a negative direction in my opinion, which I suspect is the result of lean manufacturing processes. Companies sometimes go too lean and shoot themselves in the foot by taking away things that are the reason why people buy their products over a competitor's.

I actually had quite an adjustment to make to appreciate the 2010s+ styling. I really like the notch behind the doors on the rear quarter panel. But the 2005 - 2009 models really did a great retro-1960's presentation, both on the exterior (especially the front grill area) and also the instrument cluster. Since my favorite classic is a 1968 fastback, the early S197s really appealed to me.

PJWANNABE said:
but I really think the root of it is the styling changes made to the 2010+. Ford had a winning formula in the 2005-2009 that appealed to their loyal fan base and to new ones (like me). People I talk to love the new drive trains but have mixed feelings about the new styling and it keeps them from trading up.
Good point. I was in that camp until they came out with the Boss. The Boss had too much else going for it not to buy it though. On top of that, the CO/BK combination is still killer in my book and my only real complaint about the 2010+ body style is the rear end. Since the Boss has a contrasting spoiler, and the blacked out panel in the middle between the tail lights, it makes it look much better and no longer detracts from the rest of the car IMO.

GA
cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
but I really think the root of it is the styling changes made to the 2010+. Ford had a winning formula in the 2005-2009 that appealed to their loyal fan base and to new ones (like me). People I talk to love the new drive trains but have mixed feelings about the new styling and it keeps them from trading up.
Good point. I was in that camp until they came out with the Boss. The Boss had too much else going for it not to buy it though. On top of that, the CO/BK combination is still killer in my book and my only real complaint about the 2010+ body style is the rear end. Since the Boss has a contrasting spoiler, and the blacked out panel in the middle between the tail lights, it makes it look much better and no longer detracts from the rest of the car IMO.

The tail lights are the main problem that people seem have with the new style. The Boss makes it less noticeable, and so does the Shelby GT350. If Ford fixed that I think they would see a big increase in sales. Ford announced recently that they formed a global design team for the next generation Mustang so they could get feedback from around the world to incorporate in the design, so I am afraid to see what's next. The Mustang will probably start appealing more the Bimmer market and less to the usual crowd.

I happen to think this body style is the best looking body style since 1969 and 1970. I don't see the problem with the rear end, I like it better then the 04's and 05's.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
I happen to think this body style is the best looking body style since 1969 and 1970. I don't see the problem with the rear end, I like it better then the 04's and 05's.

Man you nailed it. I think they improved the interior quite a bit as well. I was actually looking for a low mileage GT500 in the mid 40's but I finally warmed up to the Boss when it was released. I ordered mine last week and can't wait. But from reading some of these posts I'm not sure when I'll even see a VIN. you guys talk about Q1, Q2, and Q3. What's that correlate to date wise? Is it following a normal calendar year?

GA
ORANGE CRUSH said:

It is just a matter of personal taste, so there is no right or wrong answer. It has grown on me, especially with the Boss. This makes me think twice though: http://jalopnik.com/#!5796207

PJWANNABE said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:

It is just a matter of personal taste, so there is no right or wrong answer. It has grown on me, especially with the Boss. This makes me think twice though: http://jalopnik.com/#!5796207
I wouldn't let that bother me

TMO Supporting Vendors