The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang 50th Birthday Celebration, Las Vegas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey, I just finished the third day at the event. It was like an easter egg hunt(theme for the event?) and I wanted to post some of the special things I found as there was nothing posted as a directory or schedule of events. Since there is one more day (half) tomorrow I will post some of my found surprises.

1. If you register with Ford and take a 1 minute survey ( requiring 2 separate lines) you get a wristband that entitles you to wait in another line and pick two of any of the new showroom cars(sorry no S550) and drive 1 lap on the inside roadcourse with the Miller Motorsport Instructor sitting right seat. I picked the C-Max and Mustang Convertable Base 6 Cyl and My wife did the Fusion and the Mustang. Then we got to get a right seat high speed lap in any of the Miller Motorsport Track cars. My wife went with the FR500 and I did the Fiesta ST (WOW!).

2. If you drive all the way around the side of the speedway, across from the outside road course then you could drive through the tunnel to the inside of the speedway and line up to get three highspeed hot laps on the Oval in your car.

3. The "Goodie Bags" were hidden behind all the displays in Garage 8 behind the Roush Tent.

The track day started out really slow. It was a pretty nice 2.36 mile roadcourse(back behind and outside the Speedway). It was nice and flowed really well. We had an 85 minute driver meeting
that went 25 minutes into the track going green time. Then it flowed from beginners first to advanced last, which is backwards from any event I have done. There were a few issues that interrupted the flow and we got 15 minutes of track time in the first 3 hours. The good thing was that after the lunch break things went smooth and we made it up with 4 20 minute sessions which turned out pretty good. Everyone seemed to be having much fun.
The only real downside was there was nowhere for spectators to hang out with vendors booths, etc and it wasn't advertised near the event entrance(or anywhere), so noone really knew there was an opportunity to go watch.

The big thing I was hoping for(and they didn't have) was an opportunity to get inside an S550 either to sit in or a quick ride. Kinda bummed that they couldn't hype up the new Mustangs at all! :(

IMG_1215_zps7bf451fd.jpg

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
The project manager for the new Mustang was up on the turntable with the 50th anniversary Kona Blue car. He was very receptive to answering questions about he car. I did ask him about he GT350 but he claimed that wasn't his project and had no knowledge. Really?
Almost as good as the Mustang event (some might say better) was the daily air show from Nellis AFB across the road.

The first of several photos. Post up if you have photos from the event.

Heading back in from the lunchtime parade lap with my son.

IMG_3670_zps840b61b2.jpg

Packing up for the day with Moto's and SoCalBoss's Bosses.

IMG_3643_zps12f5849d.jpg

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Enjoyed meeting all you BMO folks at the Wednesday dinner at Mandalay Bay. I believe I pretty much saw and did everything Thursday and Friday so I pulled out Saturday a.m. And back home in Texas Sunday noon. I averaged 22.5 mpg @ 80 mph for the trip total of 2999.4 miles.

Re: Mustang 50th Birthday Celebration, Las Vegas PHOTOS!

Photos from Friday April 18th track day on the outside road course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Ready to rumble
IMG_1662_zpsc0aeaeb2.jpg

Moto
IMG_1687_zpsbaf8f566.jpg
IMG_1701_zps2b912e4c.jpg

Cherno134 and CrazyHorse mixing it up
IMG_1705_zpsfb055a81.jpg

CrazyHorse
IMG_1706_zpsd9c0c156.jpg
IMG_1710_zps8532cce4.jpg

Me GT350 hunting
IMG_1717_zps0ab49b09.jpg

Cherno134 Boss 302R hunting ;D
IMG_1726_zpse609f92b.jpg

Moto on grid
IMG_1756_zps2ca3af44.jpg

Me on grid. Anyone notice something wrong in this photo?
IMG_1757_zps8c1b8a57.jpg
IMG_1764_zps3d850aaf.jpg

Fat Boss
IMG_1771_zps8c0ba9af.jpg

Cherno134
IMG_1775_zpsf0b1155b.jpg

CrazyHorse
IMG_1780_zps7eff6852.jpg

Michael McGuirk, the Dir of the Pacific Coast Region of Team Shelby
IMG_1785_zps6fe284c8.jpg

The owner of JBA, this thing was FAST!
IMG_1794_zpsc2698ab4.jpg

IMG_1818_zps53051590.jpg

Fat Boss, Moto and me heading out onto the track
IMG_1820_zps4faa7bdb.jpg
IMG_1817_zpse08b832c.jpg
IMG_1819_zps4ad6ed45.jpg

Moto braking into turn 1
IMG_1827_zps5b4c39eb.jpg

302R track toy, this car was very fast
IMG_1655_zpsc919f61f.jpg

302S but I never saw it on the track
IMG_1809_zps59f753b4.jpg

SoCalBoss, Moto and me packing up for the day
IMG_3643_zps12f5849d.jpg

Great Photos and Video. I was in run group 3, it was fine but should have moved to 4 but there was no one in my group and a lot of open track which is good and bad:). I pulled my entire grill off my LS on Thursday since it was 97 degrees, it dropped the temp 10-15 degrees. I was parked at the other end of the pits, sorry we did not meet up.

IMG_1887_zpse7d410b1.jpg

ArizonaBOSS said:
Sounds like a rough start along with the organizational issues, but it looks like everybody ended up having fun?
Yes. The track was a lot of fun IMO. My ST43 brake pads were incredible with no fade. I put them in before I left so we listened to them elsewhere on the trip!

Moto- Great driving!

NFSBOSS- Great pics! I'll see what I can find that hasn't been shown yet.

The pits. Fun to play with all these gorgeous cars.

20140418_095127_zpsc49fe67f.jpg

Crappy phone pic, but shows a lot of cars.

20140418_094004_zpsddf84410.jpg

Bossy13

20140417_120452_zps863a26f2.jpg

There's a real live pony in that sheetmetal if you look closely at the tears in the door. ;)

20140417_121032_zps8c432f8b.jpg

20140417_121723_zpsaaf25c7f.jpg

20140417_120704_zps4d00c578.jpg

20140417_120910_zpsefa85e8a.jpg

20140415_151524_zps7e314c44.jpg

Break.

GTMikey said:
Which app are you using or is not an app?

App is harrys laptimer and race render to overlay on video. I use the iphone Bluetooth OBD and Gps all described on harrys website. Video is gopro but can use iphone video. Super easy and has most tracks or can just drive and create your own with a designated start/finish.

The birthday party was held at the Brooklyn Bridge at the New York New York hotel. It was VERY crowded and the food lines were VERY long. Fortunately the bar lines were not so long. ;D Anyway after eating we're standing there and a camera crew is talking to some guy and I'm not paying much attention. Then it hits me that Parnelli Jones is standing about 10 feet from me. After the crew is finished PJ is standing at a table all by himself so I walk over and introduce myself. I tell him about BMO and that it's a forum dedicated to enjoying the new Boss 302's and give him my business card and invite him to join us. Don't hold your breath on that but hey you never know. Then he mentions he will be at the event on Friday so I tell him there will be about a dozen Bosses at the road course and to stop on by and I'll give him a ride. Hey it was worth a shot. On Friday morning I tell Fat Boss and Moto that PJ might stop by so we're scrambling to find a sharpie just in case he shows up and we'll have him sign our dashboards. He never showed but I did get a photo of my son with him. PJ was very friendly and was more than willing to talk cars. Oh and while I'm talking to PJ Mark Fields comes walking up to say hello to PJ but he did say hello to me too. ;) Ford also introduced the 2015 50th anniversary car that evening.

IMG_3637_zpse88782d0.jpg
IMG_3639_zps133c81bd.jpg
IMG_3641_zps217976c3.jpg

Moto said:
App is harrys laptimer and race render to overlay on video.

How does it pick up RPM's? Can you pick the track and it uses GPS for start finish? Is the video from the phone or a GoPro with this overlayed? Pretty sweet, want it:)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
GTMikey said:
How does it pick up RPM's? Can you pick the track and it uses GPS for start finish? Is the video from the phone or a GoPro with this overlayed? Pretty sweet, want it:)

A few more questions.

Which phone?
Memory needed?
Ease of use?

I have purchased Harry's Lap Timer. Uncertain I have enough memory on current phone. Will not be able to test for a few weeks. Would like to know I have to look forward to.

New to the forum. Wanted to share my experience in LV. We arrived Friday at Noon after making it from Reno to Mandalay Bay in 6.5 hours :). No line ups but it did seem unorganized. Checked in hotel and went to LVMS to track down the goodie bag. After asking for directions several times we found the table. The nice lady handed my "the very last bag" at about 3 pm Saturday. I checked out a lot of cool vendors and saw the 50th merchandise was almost all gone in "normal sizes" So we strolled around, aimlessly as there was no signage or help and checked out cars the rest of the day. Went to the track day on Saturday, had to be there at 7, got a speeding ticket on the way and then proceeded to wait for the marathon that was running on the track! We never got started on the track until almost 11 due to runners and some ass that parked his car in the middle of the track. Trackguys were AWESOME once the track cleared and we got racing! After 3 track sessions in the mid 90's heat at 4pm we were DONE! We did go over to the speedway and do about 10 laps around the speedway as we were the last group. (AWESOME) Did the ford ride and drive and went out for dinner. Sunday we were going to go back to the speedway to look at cars but it seemed like most cars were gone so we pulled out of LV at 10 am and home by dinner time Sunday. Whirlwind weekend, had a lot of fun and I love my car! 1000 miles roundtrip, averaged 24 mpg. I was also amazed that no Mustangs broke down on track day Saturday that I saw and it was 95 degrees. Impressive engineering in our cars IMO.
Could have been organized abit better I am sure but my family and I had a great time.

Welcome to BMO.

StangTV has an article of the event and used a photo of the BMO corral in their article. Because of the clouds I think this was taken on Friday.

http://www.stangtv.com/event-coverage/car-shows/mustang-50th-anniversary-celebration-las-vegas-same-day-coverage/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mustang-50th-anniversary-celebration-las-vegas-same-day-coverage

Vegas-Friday-101.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel