The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang Driver Jokes, And Some Friendly “Revenge”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was just gathering up some older autocross and track results printouts and thought I’d share this, even though it’s a little braggy. My very first foray into competitive driving was about 2 and a half years ago. A friend who’s in the Porsche Club of America/Shenandoah persuaded me to enter his club’s autocross event after I bought my ‘17 GT. I went, I got smoked, and I was nevertheless hooked. I finished 43rd out of 47.

Since then I’ve steadily worked on my driving and last year made some nice improvements to the car’s suspension. I got faster and faster and started winning my class at most events. Due to he the pandemic, my wanting to run with other clubs, and Porsche Club scheduling snafus, I didn’t get back to them until Oct last season. First, let me say that I love the guys in the local PCA. They welcome other makes, and they are helpful and friendly, and the organizers and officials are great, so all of this is in good friendly fun.

There were 3 other Mustangs entered. We all were parked together in the paddock and ended up in a row for the parade lap. Rick, the lead PCA guy, saw us and shouted out, “Hey, we’ve got four Mustangs out here today....everybody keep your heads on a swivel!” Lots of chuckles all around. Hah. Hah. Never heard that one before, right? Well, I was feeling pretty good that day. Some days I’m not quite comfortable, or ready, waiting for that light to turn green. Some days I’m relaxed and focused - This was one of those days. And I proceeded to beat the entire Porsche Club. All 16 of them, including a few really fast dudes and dedicated race cars.

It was a lot of fun afterward with everyone gathered around and Rick going through the results. The other Mustang guys, especially, were laughing their asses off. Rick got down to my time and shook his head, smiling, and I just shrugged and winked at him. One for the Mustangs!

7911D2A1-12D0-402B-ACE4-8F812FA7EDF9.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Always fun to look at the old results so you can realize how fast you were at one time ( in my case ). There is a Midwest Event that is super well known for being a fun, fast event , but more important for being unique. Called the " Mirrorkhana " it has two cars facing in opposite directions about 100 ft. apart at the " Start." After the flagged launch the first driver to get back to the " Start " wins the heat. Double elimination with other cars and the challenge begins. I ended up DFL in my first year and in year 2 I ended up the winner ---- in a Mazda RX-7. Crazy Classes back then as I had to run against a Sunbeam Tiger, 240Z and others with my whopping 100 HP. Always good to look up the old stuff because it has the tendency to not only relive the excitement , it also makes you want to continue the fun for as long as you are able --- DFL or not, ha. Thanks for posting and pretty impressive whipping all the Porsches.

Reminds me of when I was invited to a Corvette event and beat all of the Chebbys with another RX-7 --- they very impolitely told me not to even consider returning. Years later I was invited to come to an event with my Formula 350 Firebird, and again beat all the Vettes ( BP Race Cars , 427s ,etc. ) and again they decided I should not consider coming to anymore events, haha.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
About 10-12 years ago there were a pair of F150 Lightnings that ran autocross and were faster than a lot of the Corvettes.

Always fun to look at the old results so you can realize how fast you were at one time ( in my case ). There is a Midwest Event that is super well known for being a fun, fast event , but more important for being unique. Called the " Mirrorkhana " it has two cars facing in opposite directions about 100 ft. apart at the " Start." After the flagged launch the first driver to get back to the " Start " wins the heat. Double elimination with other cars and the challenge begins. I ended up DFL in my first year and in year 2 I ended up the winner ---- in a Mazda RX-7. Crazy Classes back then as I had to run against a Sunbeam Tiger, 240Z and others with my whopping 100 HP. Always good to look up the old stuff because it has the tendency to not only relive the excitement , it also makes you want to continue the fun for as long as you are able --- DFL or not, ha. Thanks for posting and pretty impressive whipping all the Porsches.

Reminds me of when I was invited to a Corvette event and beat all of the Chebbys with another RX-7 --- they very impolitely told me not to even consider returning. Years later I was invited to come to an event with my Formula 350 Firebird, and again beat all the Vettes ( BP Race Cars , 427s ,etc. ) and again they decided I should not consider coming to anymore events, haha.
Haha. Great stuff! Did they really tell you not to return? That’s crazy And sad. I’m looking at the older results to measure progress. Hope that continues for a few years before I‘m looking back at the “fast old days”. 😉

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Yes, I was asked to return in both cases , but the plus was we got a couple of the faster Corvette guys to join the local SCCA Region as they liked the competition and it was not long before I could not beat either of them in my little Rotary, ha. But then I was not in their Class, so it was academic.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors