The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Oct

Mustang Drivers Challenge-Speed Ventures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Constructive criticism:
I think MDC should adopt NASA's tire point system: group tire handicap categories by specific tires, not by treadwear since treadwear is wildly inaccurate.

Example: I have Toyo RR's which would put me in the +0.75 slick category but pace wise, they should be in the 140-220 TW group.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Constructive criticism:
I think MDC should adopt NASA's tire point system: group tire handicap categories by specific tires, not by treadwear since treadwear is wildly inaccurate.

Example: I have Toyo RR's which would put me in the +0.75 slick category but pace wise, they should be in the 140-220 TW group.
There’s a few things in the points system that are a bit wonky, depending which lens you’re looking at it from. For me, the Boss intake manifold adds 1.0 points, but the base model difference between the GT and Boss is only 0.5. Overall I think it’s a good start and the organizers have said they’re willing to tweak the classifications once we’ve had an event and see where everything shakes out.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'll be on hand to cheer on you gentlemen and gentlewomen since doctors say that I should let others enjoy the track too. Trust me, I want to be out there bragging about how much faster I am, and then some. Who knows, I might still do it.

In the case of NASA and RR's, I'm sure that Toyo probably pays a good chunk for that favorable placement, and making it the required spec tire for some classes, but let's be honest, we all know it's a 10 year old design that everybody else can/has surpassed. The hopes are that people are honest with their setups, and with all the times and data, there will soon be enough evidence for/against the times and weights, and I'm sure things will change. If there are 29 entrants, considering that most days at ACS are like 150-180 cars, crazy that it took this long to give 15-20% of the crowd their own party.

Good call-out to the Boss, but then you have to wonder about the 15-17 guys going up to GT350/18+ Manifolds, or people swapping to Cobra Jets, but then what does that mean to a 96GT going from Non-PI to PI? Or what about a 96-98 Cobra going from B-head/swirl to C-head/tumble? I'm sure once a few events get going, many of these balance of power questions will answer themselves.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Inaugural event was a success! Over 30 Mustangs made it out - by far the most I’ve seen at a single track day. Really great catching up with good friends, getting to know others better and meeting some new Mustang enthusiasts for the first time. I’m horrible about taking pictures during the day, so hopefully some of the other guys will post theirs.

Speed Ventures hasn’t posted the official results yet - I’ll post them up here once they’re available. Hopefully the list of times, cars and handicaps will start a discussion here with input from TMO on how the mod factors could be tweaked, etc. Here’s the form that was used for the first event.

E7DAA6C2-3F0B-4171-AA3A-939DEC440382.jpeg
For reference, my car scored out to 6.25 total points. Less than 8 points is MDC2 group, greater than 8 is MDC1 group. Those points (seconds) are added to the raw time for an adjusted total. It seemed to work pretty well, because the adjusted times were pretty close. Not sure if it was coincidence, but the fastest raw time in each class also ended up being the winner adjusted.

Again, hopeful we can get some input from the members here as the organizers are open to suggestions for future tweaks.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Same with pictures, I had a blast, great to see everybody out, of the 150 or so cars, we made up 20% of the track, which was kinda cool, since they have other BMW, Corvette, Honda, Miata, and Nissan challenges. Crazy to see the whole garage almost entirely filled of us, and some nearby like the WWR and Ford Of Upland tent/trailer setups too. I was cruising the pits and signed a few extra up, one who ended up with a podium of his own. I thought it was a great event, and that first session was perfect with the right setup, I think Mark Luton just edged me with his TT1 768 car, putting down a 1:44.552 :eek:

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Inaugural event was a success! Over 30 Mustangs made it out - by far the most I’ve seen at a single track day. Really great catching up with good friends, getting to know others better and meeting some new Mustang enthusiasts for the first time. I’m horrible about taking pictures during the day, so hopefully some of the other guys will post theirs.

Speed Ventures hasn’t posted the official results yet - I’ll post them up here once they’re available. Hopefully the list of times, cars and handicaps will start a discussion here with input from TMO on how the mod factors could be tweaked, etc. Here’s the form that was used for the first event.

View attachment 79855
For reference, my car scored out to 6.25 total points. Less than 8 points is MDC2 group, greater than 8 is MDC1 group. Those points (seconds) are added to the raw time for an adjusted total. It seemed to work pretty well, because the adjusted times were pretty close. Not sure if it was coincidence, but the fastest raw time in each class also ended up being the winner adjusted.

Again, hopeful we can get some input from the members here as the organizers are open to suggestions for future tweaks.
As far as pictures go, I snapped this one of some cool guy. I hear he faced down a flock of geese and won. Not an easy feat.

20221001_155537.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Here's the results that were posted today. The scoring sheet doesn't reference any specifics of the car, so I included the timing sheets for all cars on track. Makes it interesting to compare how the Mustangs fared against other makes/models for the day as well.

MDC Score Sheet-Oct 2022.jpg

ACS Timing Results-MDC October 2022.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
interesting that the tesla plaid is so slow, not sure why i thought it would be way faster with how fast they are and with instant torque.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Impressive turn out for the first year and I wish I was closer to be able to attend some events --- who knows maybe it will go National in a few years. I would agree with ewheels, consider NASA Tire rules to a degree as the Sloyo RRs are seconds behind RE71RSs, A052s and Falken RT660s. I wouldn't say they suck, but, oh hell, yes I would, they suck!!

Great idea and let's hope it spreads!

TMO Supporting Vendors