The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang FR500S - What to look for when buying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm in the market for a factory-built Mustang road race car (e.g., Boss 302S, FR500S, etc.) to race with VARA, the SoCal vintage racing organization. They have a catch-all "Club Racer" class for modern cars. Right now, the FR500S cars seem to be the most affordable (and the oldest of the S197 gen cars). I've read up on the history of these cars but would like to know what to look for when buying one. A "buyers guide" of sorts. As such, I have a few questions and was hoping the brain trust here could pass on their knowledge to a prospective buyer:

1. What to look for to ensure originality? (I'd prefer something not modded or minimally so)

2. What were the problems areas with these cars and what was the fix?

3. What parts are no longer available and what are the typically used replacements?

4. What's the typical price for one of these cars in good, running condition?

5. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks in advance!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There is a Boss 302S for sale on this site -- at an actual low price! Check it out......

Lots of parts still available for the 302S, and it can be run in NASA and SCCA with some fairly minor changes ( now that is subjective, since even minor changes can be expensive with race cars, ha).

DFW, TX
There is a Boss 302S for sale on this site -- at an actual low price! Check it out......

Lots of parts still available for the 302S, and it can be run in NASA and SCCA with some fairly minor changes ( now that is subjective, since even minor changes can be expensive with race cars, ha).
The red #13 2012 302S for sale in the classifieds looks like a great car. Untouched, low usage. If only I had the money...

I'm surprised it's not sold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My understanding on the 302S is the 2012's weren't offered with seam/stitch welding, the 2013's was an option although I believe a majority have it, and 2014's all had it standard. The 2013 has upgraded brakes compared to the 2012 and the 2014 had additional refinements. You can't go wrong with any of them but if I ever buy one I'll specifically look for one with the seam/stitch welding.

ny
question you mention factory built? you also looking for resale value? know little bout this had 69/70 original t/a car hence the ta id. I have a fr500c 050011 George biskups old ride then to white north guy by name of jasen stevens then rehagen. out of all the cars above I think your best bet is the boss "s parts are more readily available . ford racing stop all production of any modular 4v part period. fr500s 3v motor parts are ebay . brakes for both fr cars are readly available. trans t56 same thing and rear 8.8 fixed axle
fr500s I think maybe 75-100 made. all were raced
fr500c 35 I think? no detailed records and have spoke to multimatic and all were raced, 1 I think did not
boss 302s 3 runs of around 50 units each run

car with documented race history will pull better money down the road than a car that never made it to a series .and factory build will add value compared to independent built .

chris

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Congrats and post when it arrives. Feel free to call me if you want to chat about your car and some of the options for the track you do? Arizona Boss is a wealth of information and reading his threads will give you a leg up on many of the items you will consider doing with the Boss once in your hands. This site is super helpful, because many owners may be in an area where there are few others tracking a Boss S , or there are few talented Techs to assist with work. I am quite lucky as I have a Mechanic at work ( Woodhouse Ford ) who worked for years with our Woodhouse Motorsports Division , plus I have a Genius Fabricator who has years of SCCA, NASA, Trans AM, etc. experience just 45 minutes away - Dean Palmer of Palmer Racing Development.

Again Congrats!

[email protected]
402-677-5864

Congrats and post when it arrives. Feel free to call me if you want to chat about your car and some of the options for the track you do? Arizona Boss is a wealth of information and reading his threads will give you a leg up on many of the items you will consider doing with the Boss once in your hands. This site is super helpful, because many owners may be in an area where there are few others tracking a Boss S , or there are few talented Techs to assist with work. I am quite lucky as I have a Mechanic at work ( Woodhouse Ford ) who worked for years with our Woodhouse Motorsports Division , plus I have a Genius Fabricator who has years of SCCA, NASA, Trans AM, etc. experience just 45 minutes away - Dean Palmer of Palmer Racing Development.

Again Congrats!

[email protected]
402-677-5864

Thanks Bill! I'm excited to drive this car. My plan is to race it in the "Club Racer" class with VARA (SoCal vintage racing organization). Club Racer is a catch-all class for modern race cars that want to race under the no-contact vintage racing rules.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That sounds super fun, and you might also consider doing Time Trials with NASA, since that is in the same realm of No Contact, and yet you still have the ability to go for trophies. Plenty of TMO folks out in Cali, so you will be in good company. Post a picture of your S when you get it and again, welcome!!

TMO Supporting Vendors