The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang Inspired EV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I also followed this on Autoweek. Disappointed at a minimum with this branding. No thanks. Reminds me of an Infinity SUV.

I would have seriously considered a performance oriented hybrid car or station wagon (Flex-E). But not this.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

@Drlee50 Teslas have excellent resale value. The batteries are expected to have 80% capacity at 300,000 miles.

In the V6L
I still believe that the electric vehicle transportation system will take off for real when someone introduces modular batteries that can be swapped at a gas-station-like facility. Drive into the station with a low battery, stop in a marked area, a machine unloads your battery and loads in a replacement that's fully charged. You're gone in a minute or two at a full charge, and you only pay a small service fee for the swap and for the power that you consumed in the battery you left behind. All of a sudden, electric cars are a lot more user friendly - no need to install big chargers in your home or search and wait at public ones.

I was originally in that camp but now that I own one I don’t think this is necessary. Why? You can literally never leave home without a full charge. Unless you’re going on a trip only a small % of people drive over 300 miles in a day.

The whole “range anxiety” thing is completely overblown. The manufacturers need to put that down the list of benefits and leave that to the EPA. The other benefits like significantly reduced maintenance are where they will sell more cars. Just think about never going to a gas station again and only visiting your dealer once every two years to have them change your cabin filter. Even brakes are going to last 150,000+ miles.

In the V6L
I was originally in that camp but now that I own one I don’t think this is necessary. Why? You can literally never leave home without a full charge. Unless you’re going on a trip only a small % of people drive over 300 miles in a day.

The whole “range anxiety” thing is completely overblown. The manufacturers need to put that down the list of benefits and leave that to the EPA. The other benefits like significantly reduced maintenance are where they will sell more cars. Just think about never going to a gas station again and only visiting your dealer once every two years to have them change your cabin filter. Even brakes are going to last 150,000+ miles.
Well, you're making excellent points, but I still think modular's a good idea. First, a key aspect of the home charging process is buying and installing the charger in the first place. It's just another cost of buying the car, and that'll put people off at least for the first time.

Second, what if you live in an place where you can't install a charger because of the structure, the rules or the cost? The rechargeable vehicle workflow at public chargers involves taking the vehicle and you, the owner/operator, out of circulation while it charges. As I understand it, you can't just park and get on with your day. Instead you're stuck waiting so you can move your car once it's charged so others can use the gizmo. Where I live we have a fast-growing population of electrics - they were 8% of new-car sales last year - and we're already seeing conflict and bad behavior at charging stations. As the EV population grows, this won't improve.

Another factor is the one that 302BOB asked about - battery anxiety. Batteries only deliver an optimal life span if they're used. They last the best when cycled between about 20% and 80% charge on a regular and fairly frequent basis. The less use they get, the more of their capacity they "forget". Modular batteries take that problem and place it in the hands of a service provider that has a deep understanding of how to maintain and manage their battery inventory to maximize life. For instance, rather than recycling older batteries that are down on capacity, they could offer discounted rates - people who don't drive much or don't go very far would like that and it would keep older batteries in use and out of the recycling center longer.

I think there are a lot of direct and collateral benefits from a modular strategy. I think it's a game changer.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I still believe that the electric vehicle transportation system will take off for real when someone introduces modular batteries that can be swapped at a gas-station-like facility. Drive into the station with a low battery, stop in a marked area, a machine unloads your battery and loads in a replacement that's fully charged. You're gone in a minute or two at a full charge, and you only pay a small service fee for the swap and for the power that you consumed in the battery you left behind. All of a sudden, electric cars are a lot more user friendly - no need to install big chargers in your home or search and wait at public ones.

I like the idea in general. The challenge would be the costs. A huge company would have to develop the initial infrastructure and establish hundreds of swap stations and battery inventory across the country. They won't be in business to lose money so you can expect to pay $15, 18, 20 , or more for each swap. You might save the planet but not much cash!!!

In the V6L
One of Canada's largest petroleum refiners and retailers - Petro-Canada - has recently announced operational EV charging stations at enough of its country-wide retail network gas stations that you can drive coast-to-coast (4500 miles or so) in an EV. So, who's going to set up the electric infrastructure for real? I'm betting on petroleum companies re-branding as "energy companies" and transforming their existing networks.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
...and I am still betting on the fact that batteries will get better and better that there will be further technology to enhance Hybrids to use petroleum and electrical power to give us extreme long range and safety from severe electrical power overloads or extreme costs associated with expanding the grids to unheard of levels. With States like Nebraska , Wyoming , Montana, North and South Dakota, Texas. and even California , that are over 400 miles across ( or North to South in California's case), this really makes the most sense for distance travel in my mind. With the Midwestern States and Northern States , the small populations mean that charging stations will be slow to materialize in many small cities and villages, one would think?

EV's are not in my future,they will have to pry the Boss key out of my "cold dead hands"....
carver,I understand completely where you're coming from. Me and Hon had a chat about this the other nite.I have no plans of ever selling my Boss...EVER...but if a new car ever enters into the picture an EV might be the way to go....much lower maintenance...no gas stations and no emission testing....the Boss will still need all this, but it's worth it!!!!!!....:rolleyes:

I would buy an AWD EV with the performance of a Tesla Model X if it had 300 mi range and was less than $50k. I live in CO, and 300 mi range on a winter's day on I-70 through the mountains really translates into 200 mi. If I can't go skiing and get back home without range anxiety, it isn't an everyday driver. That is one of the biggest problems and one of the little talked about secrets of EV's. They get much less range in temps below freezing, and on top of that, you use battery to to heat the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors