The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang outsells Camaro and Challenger.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It is always funny to me how well the Marketing and Engineering guys at SRT/Dodge have done extending the life of the Challenger. I sold a ton of them ( RTs,TAs,Shakers,SRT8s,Hellcats, Redeyes, 1320s, even Demons ) and for a car that at one time was actually supposed to be discontinued in 2014, the car continues to march on. It is not a Mustang, it will not handle on a road course like the GT 350 or even the GT 500 or even the new Mach 1, but it is a beast for cruising, stout on a drag strip , and yes, the most comfortable Pony Car on the highway. Now, even though I sold plenty of them , I wanted a Boss , then a GT 350, because I wanted a track rat road race rod. Yet , knowing many of the Marketing guys , Engineers, and Designers in SRT, it is amazing to me how the car is still relevant. It shows there are still folks out there that love big V8s, hot rod cruisers and the Mustang and Challenger have found and continue to build on the niche. I think the Camaro, as good as it is on the track just still suffers from buttugly, though I will admit they are fun on a road course.

Anyway, thanks for the posting and the article.

Although they are outselling the numbers are a bit inflated due to fords rental car fleet sales.

Base there is more vert ecoboost sitting in rental lots than camaro’s. I’m willing to bet that’s where dodge makes a lot of their sales as well in their forecast.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TMS is quite right , there was a decent contingent of Pony Car sales to the rental fleets. Of course the downside today is the Rental Car purchases were super light in 2020 , so the numbers for the Mustang and Challenger are even more impressive when that is considered.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel