The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang production to halt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Yes Sir! I took my '65 to a small Ford dealership in Athens, AL this morning for a ASE certified inspection. When I entered the lot, I thought it had been converted to a used car lot. I could count on both hands the number of new cars on the lot. They had a grand total of 2 new Mustangs on the showroom floor. I asked the tech what was going on. He said, "It's Ford...we can't cant vehicles. I have done one new car inspection this week." Wow!

NO..NO..NO...This can't be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............I thought EV's would be the end of us down the road, not this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....This is the Twilight Zone to a another worse dimension........................................................

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
If the chips are on that ship that tied up the Suez Canal you might want to order another batch, doesn't look like that boat is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Looks like I might need to sideline the Boss upgrades and start working on the mothballed Spitfire6+ project. Not a computer chip in sight. Because computers back when it was designed were bigger than the car. :D
1619221902814.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Has me rethinking the Sale of the Boss S, as looks like the Mach 1 may be coming well below the speed of sound. With this issue we could be talking about it's new name , the Ford " Make 1?"

Supply chains have bragged about 'Just in Time parts' for years, in part driven by Inventory taxes that states like to charge, guess no one thought about that when the economy got shutdown..... as far as I know the Ports in Cali are still at 50% capacity..

sfo
This like other halts and shortages are BS. Business is using Covid as fake gift to claim shortages to reduce production fake increase demand and therefore raise prices on products.

Look around you. Everything is going up in price faster than the quoted 2.5% inflation rate.

Hommey don't play dat. I have stopped buying a lot of things until business gets their act back together to I absolutely need it. What I'm not doing is fighting to get ahead of you for say a piece of electronics because chips are fake scarce AND paying more money for that electronics. When business does that I shun their line entirely if I can.

Mark my words if we let suppliers do this to us this will be the new higher price. Nothing will fall to pre-covid pricing once the supply chain refills. Let's see whether I need the widget more or if they need to sell it to me more?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The big supply chain killer is the unemployment incentives. States are starting to force people to look for work. We are paying 40% more than pre pandemic rates and cannot find folks who want to work or will work for more than a few weeks. Why? We have to compete with huge tax refunds for folks who don't earn much as well as overly generous unemployment benefits. It’s time....well past time to get back to work.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Whoa a bit guys, there are plenty of business out there who are as frustrated with this situation as we are , and it is not really BS, it is a case of the majority of chips are done in China and the rest of the World has relied on one hen to hatch all the eggs. Simple situation we all learned in Grade School and it will likely be a catalyst for more US Companies ( and some in Europe for their Industries ) to look towards more homegrown production, and not put all their eggs in one basket. This is a long way from being fake , as the market for cars is super hot right now and this is not a sitiation where Manufacturers haven't realized the dependence on a few sources has not inhibited their ability to do business when demand is high!! The frustration will continue for a bit, but in the future it will likely leave the Automotive Business and many others more diversified for supplies and less dependent on singular or limited resources for specific components. Lesson learned and when billions are loss , folks really do listen. Have friends in the upper echelon of Automotive Ventures and they are pissed --- opportunities lost!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Agree, artificial factors and the lack of redundancies are at work here. We should have learned from the way Japan businesses entered the auto market. It’s not the quarter year numbers which are important. It’s the quarter century numbers which really count. US auto industry learned this too slowly and almost lost the entire market.
Now we buy almost everything electronic from overseas. In my previous job we learned that if you let one supplier control too much of your supply chain, you will eventually work for them.
We are allowing one entity to controlling a critical market. Now we will pay. We were warned about this recently. We should have listened.

sfo
Whoa a bit guys, there are plenty of business out there who are as frustrated with this situation as we are , and it is not really BS, it is a case of the majority of chips are done in China
Funny. I run a business. I learned from my Dad who also ran a business to always have multiple suppliers, labs, referral sources, employees. My business buys stuff from china as just about every other business. Yet...somehow all during Covid my supplies have been intact (because I anticipated instead of reacted) so I can deliever my products and service. Maybe that's why My business is cranking and others are failing? Maybe we need more business to fail so their supply ends up at a place I can buy from?

The virus is one thing. All the other problems surounding it are not intrisic to the virus but man-made stupidity.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I respect your opinion Bob , but I don't believe the Virus is the only problem , that is just too simplistic. You sound like your company avoided the situation of putting all your eggs in one basket , but Worldwide companies got complacent and did not follow your common sense. The Corona Virus was not the reason, just one of the triggers of something that was bound to happen - supply and demand is a balancing act and many did not plan for the inevitable. It sounds like your company did, and that is to your benefit. It may wake up the Automotive Industry Worldwide , because the bean counters won the cost battle and now have lost a major demand war.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel