The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang Roundup VII , Sept. 14-17 . Should be called Track Mustangs OnTrack!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

you get a trophy, you get a trophy, you get a trophy

They could maybe stand to have one or two more classes but 9 seems a bit much. The 350's were supposed to be in their own class this year but not enough signed up early. They should probably do it more like nasa using power to weight ratio based on stock power plus mods and maybe tires. I'm guessing they aren't going to start weighing cars and asking for dyno sheets though. Just have to trust the people signing up listing their mods. If I still had Corsa tires I could have run in stock but you really can't get them anymore. Should be able to run a comparable tire (60-140 treadwear???). As it is I run take off slicks and have to compete with the fast guys in modified. Oh well, it's still a great time.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No offense , but that would be unusable with that many Classes. We have looked over this each year , and there is no perfect solution , but that many classes is not enforceable or prudent with usually 50-60 cars on the track. Many older cars with mods are equal in power to some that are newer, and often are quicker. Things actually worked out decent this year , though there will likely be some changes. Folks have figured out over the years that tires are the key element, with folks ripping off quicker times than prior years switching over to Pirelli Slicks ( used from World Challenge Series ) or Hoosiers and running larger sizes. Plus the biggest advantage is seat time and many are quicker as they are spending more time in their cars , on track -- that is the single biggest advantage for track usage.

Big Black

Good, fast<del>, and cheap</del>
I was JOKING Bill... :rolleyes: I've always thought the classes are the best compromise possible given the diversity of cars there. And you're absolutely right about tires and REALLY absolutely right about seat time!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We did see the need for GT 350s to be in a different class ( I personally made the suggestion early this year ), but there was a low turnout and others made a change at the last moment --heck we got beat on the track by a modified Boss 302 anyway. Expect to see them in their own class with all GT 350s with sticky rubber in one class and regular GT 350s on stock donuts in a stock class ( unless other mods were done). A GT 350R would be in the class with sticky rubber, since they come with the Pilot Sport Cups anyway.

Easy to follow SCCA or NASA rules with tires under a 200 tread rating not being in a stock class regardless if there were no other mods. Not perfect as some street rubber is damn fast with said 200 treadwear classification , but then folks have figured that out autocrossing or doing track time. 200 and above , you have a street tire that is classified the same as stock.

Last edited:
We did see the need for GT 350s to be in a different class ( I personally made the suggestion early this year ), but there was a low turnout and others made a change at the last moment --heck we got beat on the track by a modified Boss 302 anyway. Expect to see them in their own class with all GT 350s with sticky rubber in one class and regular GT 350s on stock donuts in a stock class ( unless other mods were done). A GT 350R would be in the class with sticky rubber, since they come with the Pilot Sport Cups anyway.

Easy to follow SCCA or NASA rules with tires under a 200 tread rating not being in a stock class regardless if there were no other mods. Not perfect as some street rubber is damn fast with said 200 treadwear classification , but then folks have figured that out autocrossing or doing track time. 200 and above , you have a street tire that is classified the same as stock.

What if someone was still running Corsa's on a Laguna Seca? I know you don't like them but they were like 60 tread wear. Todd's Laguna Secas were still running them last year. Where's the new 2018 PP2 car going to be slotted? It has Sport Cup tires as well.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cars with sticky rubber will run modified classes , they will not be in stock. Corsas address a really good question, since technically they would run modified with their rating. Frankly the Corsa is not a very quick tire, and was designed for a BMW , not a Mustang, so I would personally advise folks to go with something else for the track. Would not be surprised if Todd's rubber was not fairly old , so sure was not an advantage at all.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The event has been going on long enough now , that many folks are becoming very competitive in nature. Guys who showed up 2 years ago with heavy rims and Hankooks are now on lightweight rims and used Pirelli slicks. Tires are the biggest improvement , easily made, so we will have to monitor this more and more closely as years go by. At present we have been following some of the NASA rules which allow the Continental and Pirelli Endurance slicks to be qualified in the same breath as the Hoosiers ( A7s and R7s). Heck , some guys are now showing up with A7s , as they want that competitive edge of autocross rubber and it shows the level of commitment some are making? Chatting with many of the drivers it is interesting to listen to guys who have been to 5-10 events prior to the Mustang Roundup and in years past this was only their second event of the year. Seat time is huge and some wonder why others have gotten so quick and it often is a simple answer --- some drivers have been hammering the asphalt quite a bit during the year.

I would make recommendations that if folks are wanting to run more aggressively , then they should view a set of Hoosier R or A7s, World Challenge used Pirelli endurance slicks, IMSA Continental Endurance slicks ( these are essentially R7s without the little tread marks , though many of us say the compound is even harder than an R7 -- I concur with that thought). If wanting to stay in a stock class look towards the Bridgestone RE71s or the BFG Rivals , as they seem to do decent on a road course also. Keep the 200 Treadwear rating in view as a tire with a 180 Treadwear rating will go to a modified class. If running full slicks ( except for the used Pirellis and Continentals listed above ) , be prepared to run in the Race Car class regardless if you have minimal mods.

There are other suggestions out there , but we will do our best to keep the number of Classes within reason, and there will always be situations where a car does not quite fit where placed , but that is true with any Sanctioning body , and this is just a fun event that has grown into a "Bucket List" Track Experience.

Be there next year and expect some folks to move up in Class, and tires are not the only qualifier. Folks with plenty of mods , but decide to go with a 200 or greater treadwear rating will not be going to stock -- Stock pretty much means the way they came from the factory with a few exceptions ( the Laguna Seca with Corsas or a GT350R with Pilot Sport Cups are good examples of moving up due to rubber).

Well done Bill. I had the 2017 event results on the site a few weeks ago along with 2016 results. We built an all new website last December and it's taken a bit to load all my older information back on this new improved site. We're working very hard to make significant improvements to the experience in 2018. From better pricing, better defined rules, expand awards and recognition to more drivers. For those drivers who were with us in 2017 we've established several Reward Coupon Codes to help with Registration for 2018.
The schedule and pricing is already posted on the MPH site although we won't open registration until early November. You can find all the results and pictures here too.
http://www.racemph.com/events/mustang-roundup/

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Plus for those of you that loved being under the canopy during the event , now you have a choice to have your own little enclosed garage during the Roundup -- pricing is quite reasonable, so figure Tymeslayer will just rent one and use it for his motel room ( heh, he found out there were showers on site already and they are free !)

Pricing looks much better George hope more attend this event next year. Looking forward to putting in some more track time and getting close to the times this last year. Think there may be a couple people that could dip below the 1:30s this next year if conditions are right!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There were some unusual situations for quite a few people last year that meant they could not make it at the last minute, but I have to agree the price reduction and benefits George and the Track have set up for 2018 will likely create participant numbers higher than ever before?!

I push this event to people all the time. So far I've had one person come to the event (this year). With the reduced pricing I'm sure he will join us once again. I've told some to do like I did a few years ago, join the car show and just come hang out. Like me they will probably be itching to get on track and join in all the fun.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel