The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustang Tremec TR-3160 Trans Upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will the Tremec 3160 be the ultimate trans upgrade to replace the Getrag MT-82? It should be able to bolt right up to our coyote based engines with a new shifter and driveshaft. With the gear ratios offered it should be a better match than the Tremec 6060 or Magnum XL. I wonder how long it will be before a kit is offered in the aftermarket?

While I was hopeful that the MT-82 would hold up to road course work it's clear that it's not. With that in mind what do you do after the warranty has expired? For some that's less than 12 months away.

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=133

Click the link below for a PDF download.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TR-3160-010408.pdf

Detailed info on the 3160.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TD%20JUL_13%20UTS.pdf

_Tremec3160photossmallerversion.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It will bolt right up from what I have been told from reliable sources. If you are thinking about a tranny swap for a track car, and you can hold out long enough for this vs. a T56 Magnum, hold off!

I think my MT82 will need a rebuild before these really hit the market but I think this will be the way to go for the track.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dang. Very pricey. And you still (probably) need to get a custom-length driveshaft.

I looked it up at Tousley as well and was thinking they had a great price until I saw the $1000 core charge. Kinda difficult to get around that without a 3160 to send back.

L0edQhC.png

The TR3160 has been out for a while in a couple of GM applications. Its like a lighter duty version of the TR6060. For the money, I would think doing a T56 Magnum XL or a TR6060 makes more sense than buying a new TR3160.

For half that price, you can upgrade your existing MT82.

TMSBOSS said:
Half the price always sounds good.

What is in the upgrade?

Reinforced shift forks
Bronze fork pads
Bronze shift stop bushing
New 2nd gear
REM polished synchronizer assemblies
New synchronizer ring kit
Seals
Polyurethane mount insert
Bench labor

$1495.00 + the ride

Tob had one of these transmissions and was doing a bunch of renderings on the parts. I don't know exactly what was going on to be honest but he did say that it was a direct swap.

I can't say that it would be a part for part swap as I never verified the input/output shaft dimensions or spline counts. The transmission is no longer in my possession but is indeed being used for parts development.

I can say that the shifter leaves a bit do be desired. My initial assessment was that it was an improvement over the MT82 shifter mechanism, all iterations '15 and previous, but when dissected it became clearly evident where money was or wasn't spent.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1095456-GT350-OEM-Shifter

Tob said:
I can't say that it would be a part for part swap as I never verified the input/output shaft dimensions or spline counts. The transmission is no longer in my possession but is indeed being used for parts development.

I can say that the shifter leaves a bit do be desired. My initial assessment was that it was an improvement over the MT82 shifter mechanism, all iterations '15 and previous, but when dissected it became clearly evident where money was or wasn't spent.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1095456-GT350-OEM-Shifter

My apologies then. It would be really cool if it was indeed a direct swap though with the assumption that a custom driveshaft would be needed.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmmm.... have two MT82's in the shop getting rebuilt with AMP parts (will need more parts...:()..... Maybe have a few regrets about not getting a Magnum XL.....

Was hoping the 3160 would be the Holy grail, but does not look that way. This time around with a MGW race shifter and new shifting philosophy! At least I learnt how to swap trannies myself... Found a good use for the skateboard that was lying around.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
so, i was going to start a new thread, but saw this one and decided to just join in. i have been searching for swap info and there is just nothing out there. for all i know, i am the first to do this swap. the trans is going behind a stock gen 2 coyote with OPG's and the 2018 gt manifold everyone is raving about. using the gen 2 controls pack, i am swapping this into my '08 track car.

this swap was appealing for a few reasons: 1)its 40 lbs lighter than the TR6060. 2) has better syncros than the MT82. 3) gear ratios are better suited to the 5.0 than the TR6060. 4) having it allows me to develop the shifter support kit for it.

heres what i know:
BOLTING IT UP: standard bell pattern. standard clutch line fitting. works with an MT82 isolator and crossmember (still have to check driveline angles to verify they didn't change the elevation dramatically). it will bolt up with or without the crossmember dampers (i'm going without). the length from bell face to output shaft face is approximately 0.8-1.0" longer than the MT82. this was derived from driveshaft length research mentioned below. i don't have an actual MT82 in my possession right now.

CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL: the input shaft is way different. it used the 26 spline of the 6060, but the pilot shaft is smaller than any ford v8 trans out there. the diameter matches the 4cyl T5 transmission found in the 79-93 mustangs. the input shaft is also too short to reach the crank. this requires a special flywheel and clutch assembly. the OE clutch setup is spendy, so I went ahead and ordered the new offering from SPEC...they just released it at SEMA 2017 and it took 7 weeks to get it. it comes together just fine behind a coyote. the upside of the spec is it is 11lbs lighter than stock (their claim, not verified). the down side is its still 9lbs heavier than the single disk SPEC i had planned for the TR6060 i started to build for this project. if only i could change the input shaft to a TR6060 version to save that additional weight!

DRIVESHAFT: custom is required for S197's. i believe gt350 shafts would work in the s550's. the output flange is tremec 4 bolt, which has a smaller concentric boss diameter than the MT82. the length is unique. i measure a required length of 55.5". the 05-10 GT is 52.6". the 07-14 GT500 is 51.7". both are way too short. none of the MT82 options would even bolt up, but the closest length is the 15-17 V6 at 54.4".

SPEED SENSOR: no idea about that yet. it has a 3 prong, like the MT82 (TR6060 uses a 2 prong sensor). hopefully its voltage range and reluctor wheel cont is the same as the MT82 to make it easier. I just realized i don't have the trans harness, so i have to order that and find out if it connects.

thats all i have at the moment. wish me luck on finishing the conversion without too much pain!

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
For race only cars why not go with a Jerico 4 spd? They are a lot more durable and shift way better than any Tremec street trans. From wide open you need just a quick half lift on the throttle to unload the dogs rings then go to the next gear and back to wot. No clutch upshifts are super fast and never miss. If you're rough with heel toe, you can no clutch downshift too. Left foot brake, blip the throttle to unload trans and go to next gear down. Most guys would not want a dog ring gear box on the street but for racing you'll wonder why you ever bothered with any syncro trans.

If someone is going through the trouble of finding a bellhousing, clutch, pilot bushing, driveshaft, etc to make a trans fit, it would be no more work to have a real race trans and not just a slightly better street trans.

A quick search found this review from a first time Jerico user. http://www.viperclub.org/vca/thread...ed-road-racing-transmission-installed.521676/ Everyone's first experience with a dog ring race trans is similar to this.

Used prices seem to be around $3k. They are easy to rebuild yourself. Parts are readily available. There are several other similar trans manufactures but Jerico historically has been Ford based so they are likely to be the easiest to bolt up. Quicktime probably makes the bellhousing needed. The driveshaft will be custom with the old style slip yoke for the trans end. I don't know all the details for current Ford modular motors but surely someone has this all figured out already.

If you're race only, I'd recommend looking into one. For the normal weekend road racer, a fresh Jerico will last 2-3 yrs or more without touching it. Eventually you will need dog rings but thats all. No bearings, no syncros, no broken parts and no ridiculously expensive shifter thats trying to make up for a poor shifting trans.

They also make a 5 speed but most don't need that extra gear. Plus its more expensive and heavier. The 4 speed is small and light. Either one has more gear ratio choices than you need.

TMO Supporting Vendors