The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mustangsdaily.com Article

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link: http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/07/06/refreshed-mustang-coming-in-2013-next-generation-to-be-2015-model/

Up until now we’ve been referring to the next generation Mustang as a 2014 model, but our inside sources now tell us that the all-new pony car will actually debut as a 2015 model, with a refreshed Mustang coming in 2013 to fill the gap. This timeline will make the next generation Mustang more inline with the car’s true 50th anniversary, as it will go on sale in the Spring of 2014, the same time the 1964 1/2 model hit showroom floors.

Details are still coming through about what to expect from the 2015 Mustang, but Ford’s design chief J Mays has promised that it won’t simply be an updated version of the current S197 platform. “We can’t simply do an evolution of the 2005, 2010 cars,” he said at the 2010 Paris Auto Show. It is widely believed that the next generation Mustang will be based on an new smaller, global platform using an independent rear suspension and will be sold in more parts of the world including the UK, Japan and Australia. The styling will have global input as well, with Ford’s studios around the world bringing designs to the table.

We can only speculate about the 2013 Mustang as well, although there are plenty of details floating around. The 2013 Shelby GT500 is rumored to get an upgrade to more than 620 horsepower, and could even receive a twin-turbo setup to replace the suprecharger system. A new 2013 Cobra Jet is also in the works, and a redesigned 2013 Boss 302 will also be produced with styling resembling the 1970 model.

Overall, it looks like Mustang fans will have plenty to look forward to in the next few years.

Maybe they will flatten the hood out some, it would go better with the 70 Boss stripes. I bet they look at the taillights also, many people still complain about them. I do not mind them but I did like the 05-09 taillights better.

I felt the same way about the tail lights! They do grow on you. I just looked at the assumed design of the 2015 Mustang. God help us! It looks like Audi and Camaro had a baby. :mad:

STIG302 said:
I felt the same way about the tail lights! They do grow on you. I just looked at the assumed design of the 2015 Mustang. God help us! It looks like Audi and Camaro had a baby. :mad:
Yep...everything is moving toward rounder shapes, and smaller too. A smaller, rounder Mustang with a single or twin turbo ecoboost V6 is what I expect we'll see in 2015.

Have you seen the new Escapes supposedly on track for 2012? They don't look like SUVs any more - they look like Focus hatchbacks on steroids or a Grand Caravan's little brother. I guess the SUV might pretty well be over and Crossovers will fill their place all the way up until you get to actual trucks with frames.

No I haven't seen the escape. But, I have to say that my current rental, a Ford Edge, is absolutely a top 10 in SUVS. The ride is excellent. It has all the bells and whistles that my wife has in her MDX. Believe it or not, it was easier to connect my iphone4 with SYNC! I can't believe i'm giving Microsoft props, but at least they don't make the Camaro. :eek: The only improvements needed are the materials used (i.e. Real wood grain rather than pseudo vinylized wood. The leather has excessive stitching, but other than that, that model is a hit IMO (of course). had I known, I could've saved thousands by not getting the MDX. :-[

The MDX and Edge are the current shape - crossover/SUV type vehicles. Our 2011 Escape still looks like a trucklet - the outgoing shape of multi-purpose vehicles. Progress is progress though...all a matter of taste!

STIG302 said:

I agree about the 2010+ taillights. They grow on ya. Besides that, only the competition will be getting a good look at the ugly
sumb!tches :)

Yeah, i'm seeing Camaro hips and front lamp / foglight styling, with maybe some Mercedes-esque front end shape.

When they showed off the '05 concept cars I KNEW that I loved it. 2015... I don't know about that :-/

TMO Supporting Vendors