The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My 1968 Torino autocrossing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I was instructing in our clubs autocross school recently, which I knew gave instructors lunch runs for fun. For entertainment, i took my 1968 Torino, 390 4v (carburetor barrels, not valves for you young ones out there), and its column shifter C6 automatic. it was primarily entertainment. All but 2-3 novices outran this.

As runs begam, i asked if anyone wanted a ride. Two females hopped in the back, @Apex3V hops in the passenger seat, and we took 2 runs.

1 run looking over the nose, one run watching me wrestle a no power steering car around.

I have put this car om the scales, it tips 4000 by itself on 225/70R14 bfg radial t/a tires. But its fun to fight with.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Thanks for posting the vid. Fabulous, my favorite Torino/Fairlane body style. Brother has a 69 Fairlane Cobra 428cj 4spd and I have a 68 Cougar 428cj C6 car. Agree would have a hard time beating a Smart car in a tight autocross course.

in 1969 my parents went to Scarritt Lincoln Mercury to buy a used car, they picked a 69 Plymouth sport fury..unfortunately. Because I did all I could to talk them into the Torino's cousin the Cyclone. Not just any Cyclone, but a genuine Cale Yarborough edition Mercury Cyclone Spoiler. I practically begged them to buy that car. That was the car I learned to drive on and if they had bought he Merc, I would have still owned it to this day

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
My brother and I stopped at the local Lincoln Mercury dealer one day to check out the Cyclones and Cougars. There were a couple of the Cale Yarborough Specials there, really sharp looking cars.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Maryland
That’s awesome 😂 I sold my 1969 Torino that was also an S-code 390 C6 to get my current 2013 Boss 302. I had plans to turn that car into an autocross/HPDE car and had some light suspension work done to it and ended up building a fuel injected 445 FE stroker and started to have a lot of reliability issues with the car and realized it wouldn’t be the best track car unless I dumped tens of thousands into it and just did not want to modify the car too much more at that point. Glad to see someone mess around with an old car like that just for fun on track.

AD0459C3-3E5A-4DF0-B7B1-578184EA36DF.jpeg

666858A9-5535-489D-A7DC-99F8A47F062C.jpeg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
My favorite Fairlane/Torino body style, love your color choices and those wheels.
Now head down that rabbit hole, aluminum 427, a 5 speed, wheels, tires and some suspension pieces.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel