The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My Adventure at VIR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

If I had no track insurance, I would've bought the stuff installed the bolt-on stuff myself. Since insurance is covering it, I'm going to let the body shop take care of things. Either way, I'd be out around $3500 anyways.

I don't think aftermarket vinyl companies have the 2013 stickers, because it's Ford exclusive... or something. Side stickers, along with with the bumper sticker and a cracked taillight pushed the price up quick.

Tracy, I guess the lower labor cost makes sense. Unlike the service dept. body shops don't usually have unique and expensive machinery. other than 20 different kinds of hammers ::)

Nick, it was great seeing you as well. I watched your 2:05.xx lap and it was nuts! I wonder if a boss will every be that fast.

Steve, thanks for the price breakdown. If for some reason the insurance doesn't cover Ford genuine parts, I'll buy the parts myself and hand it to the shop... hopefully this will be over without hassle and much down time.

Got the car back today!
It's cleaner than ever 8)

IMAG1074%20Copy_zpsqfcfyuzn.jpg

A piece of memorabilia to remind me of our adventures together ::)
It'll be a good wall art when I get a garage... one day
IMAG1077%20Copy_zpsdk7lpqce.jpg

F.D. Sako said:
Got the car back today!
It's cleaner than ever 8)

IMAG1074%20Copy_zpsqfcfyuzn.jpg

A piece of memorabilia to remind me of our adventures together ::)
It'll be a good wall art when I get a garage... one day
IMAG1077%20Copy_zpsdk7lpqce.jpg

Looks great, glad it turned out.

On a less serious note, screw the garage. Put it up on the wall in the house. It's what I did - when people ask about it I tell them it's my most expensive piece of abstract art.

Sorry to hear about the crash and glad that you're all fixed up now. We met at the NASA Summit Main event in April - I was in the white S550 GT.

ArizonaBOSS said:
That looks great! I'll bet it feels good to have the car back. Repair work come out OK?

Yes, it does!
I'm very satisfied with the repairs. Based on a couple of quick walk arounds, the repairs are perfect.
I haven't crawled under the car, or poked around the wheel wells yet, but so far everything matches perfectly.

Berol said:
On a less serious note, screw the garage. Put it up on the wall in the house. It's what I did - when people ask about it I tell them it's my most expensive piece of abstract art.

I also have a sheared rotor disk from a previous accident... I need a big wall ;D

dirtroadtrip said:
Sorry to hear about the crash and glad that you're all fixed up now. We met at the NASA Summit Main event in April - I was in the white S550 GT.

Thanks! Glad you found this forum, alot of good info here to help you setup your car for the track. Now just make sure you don't do what I did :p

TMSBOSS said:
Sarkis

Great to see the Boss is back and you are satisfied with the repairs!!!

Which panels were replaced?

Thanks, Tracy.
Now I need to get used to driving it again... its been a looong month without the mustang.

This may sound weird, but I think my horn sounds different now. The 'beep' I get when I lock the doors definitely sounds a little higher pitch than before. I wonder if they forgot to reconnect one of the horns, or if it shorted!

I also have to repaint a few things black, like I had done previously. Specifically, the rear fascia of the new muffler, and the lower grill tabs of the new bumper. White tabs are too noticeable with the after market grill.

Looking good. Any plans to jump back in the saddle so to speak?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Thanks, Tracy.
Now I need to get used to driving it again... its been a looong month without the mustang.

This may sound weird, but I think my horn sounds different now. The 'beep' I get when I lock the doors definitely sounds a little higher pitch than before. I wonder if they forgot to reconnect one of the horns, or if it shorted!

[/quote]

Check for a wire off one of the horns. If thats not it, I know this sounds strange but, the horns can be affected by paint and body filled dust from being in the shop. Quick blast of compressed air will usually clean out the dust.

When is your next event?? You still have a few dates remaining on the insurance policy. LOL :eek:

I'll check out the horns and see what the deal is.

Next planned event is on the 4th of July weekend at Summit Point Main with Trackdaze. It's two full days of open track. That's around 6hrs of track time per day, it should be plenty to shake the rust off and any doubts I have after the incident :-[

Glad to see it's back together and looking good....

Everyone has a "wall of shame" in their garage..lol
The price of man in motion is the occasional sudden stop...

Everything happened quick in your crash vid so it's hard to say but it appears you stayed on the throttle as the car pushed out towards the edge. I would have tried to lift slowly, but quickly so that the car didn't keep plowing towards the edge.

You also didn't appear to try to turn to the right more as it was plowing. It seems as though you just found your line and stuck with it until it drove you off the track.

Once off track it's hard to say what to do. I may have tried to throttle it but in grass there isn't much you can do. Everything I've ever heard says "Two Feet In" once you're in a helpless situation.

Jeremy

In the end, you didn't get hurt and your car can be repaired. :)

Very true, Jeremy. I didn't turn into the skid, which may have helped me gain control.
I also locked the brakes without pushing in the clutch ::) so I lost power and couldnt get back on the gas once the car pointed away from the wall. Being used to automatics for so long, driving a manual is not instinctual, yet.

My goal is to signed up for skid pad sessions this season, so I can get comfortable with my foot work and shifting when moments like this arise, again.

thanks for the input!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel