The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My best 1/4 run..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Took the Boss to track Friday, I almost got stranded on side of the road due to SCT locking me out of any tune.
But anyways I ran the Boss track corrected.
DA 2730,
Actual 933
Boss Stock except MT/Drag Radial 28 tall
Steeda Upper Control Arm to reduce wheel hop.
Ran a 1.62 60 ft
7.685 1/8 mile @89.10
12.153 1/4 @ 111
Besttimeslip.jpg
2012-08-26_10-24-00_319.jpg

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
Hey I like to run mine 1/4 mi from time to time. (3 so far) Last October on a cool day with nice track prep I turned a 12:27 @ 116 all stock including tires. I ran it last weekend in the high 70's with the Parnelli Jones Airraid and track key but was only able to get 12:6's but kept a trap of 116.(2.0 60' times) Much more slippery. I think its confident to say that the Airraid isn't doin much but lookin cool with the hood open, and as its been commented on many times the Trackey isn't helping anything in the 1/4.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
What track are you running at? The best Ive seen in my area was a 12.5-12.6 on stock tires @ 112

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
unrealford said:
LoL, is the forum dead or just no interest in Bosses running 1/4 ? LMAO :D
What RPM did you launch at? I was hitting mine at 6600 anything less it would bog.

I love 1/4Mile but most of the guys here are just into left and right type tracks.

Best I have ran stock with MT ET Streets 27x10.5x17's is 12.22 with a 1.8 60" track prep was non exsistant at the track I was at.

I am planning to VMP at Dinwiddie this weekend for T&T on sat. I now have the following mods and hoping to dip into the 11.7-11.8's or better.

Steeda Boss 302 CAI
Steeda Tune
DSS Alum Driveshaft
MGW Shifter
Blow-By Racing Billet Lower Control Arms
Magnaflow Comp Cat back Exhaust
Disconnect front sway bar
Dark Star 15x8 wheels with ET Drag 27x9x15

Still saving up for the front runners for the car. Hoping that they will clear the brembo's some how. going to go with the 17x4.5's.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Im very curious to see how your Mods do. Try bumping tire pressure up if you are bogging, theres a fine line between bogging and spinning unfortunetly lol

Ohh I am running a MGW Shifter also..
I launched at 4800, mine bogs too. I found out by bumping the air pressure up to 22-24 lbs it helps get alittle wheel spin.
The track I go to (Empire Dragway) is prepped really good for drag radials.
I run RaceStar 15x10s with a 28 inch tall tire, (Alittle too tall)
Most of my runs are 12.23, 12.26 @ 113-114 mph
I tried a VMP tune but only got 10 miles from my house before a engine light came on then got stranded on the side of the road for almost an Hr trying to get stock tune back in.
I have a VMP 93 Perf tune, and a 93 perf tune for a JLT which I havent recieved.
And I have a Steeda CAI and Tune which I havent recieved ,LOL

Justin

unrealford said:
Im very curious to see how your Mods do. Try bumping tire pressure up if you are bogging, theres a fine line between bogging and spinning unfortunetly lol

Ohh I am running a MGW Shifter also..
I launched at 4800, mine bogs too. I found out by bumping the air pressure up to 22-24 lbs it helps get alittle wheel spin.
The track I go to (Empire Dragway) is prepped really good for drag radials.
I run RaceStar 15x10s with a 28 inch tall tire, (Alittle too tall)
Most of my runs are 12.23, 12.26 @ 113-114 mph
I tried a VMP tune but only got 10 miles from my house before a engine light came on then got stranded on the side of the road for almost an Hr trying to get stock tune back in.
I have a VMP 93 Perf tune, and a 93 perf tune for a JLT which I havent recieved.
And I have a Steeda CAI and Tune which I havent recieved ,LOL
I was running 15psi in the tires they were on 17" stock 06 GT wheels. It would walk around at the top end of the track pretty bad. Scared me a little. With my ET Drags what PSI do you recommend? I am new to the full slick area and it will only be the second time running on a bias ply tire. I went with the narrower wheel/tire so I wouldnt have to use the sway bar relocation brackets, didnt want to cut anything on the car.
Here is my time slip from back in March I am in the right lane
550289_376034822429095_959521695_n.jpg

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Nice, I cant comment on BIAS ply but as for MT/ET Street drag RADIALS I run alittle of 20 lbs depending on track.
Did you have alittle trouble shifting? I see your 1/8 mile is alittle low on MPH

I should have tried the x8s also instead of cutting for relocation brackets ,kills mes knowing what I did., I saved pieces though.

Justin

unrealford said:
Nice, I cant comment on BIAS ply but as for MT/ET Street drag RADIALS I run alittle of 20 lbs depending on track.
Did you have alittle trouble shifting? I see your 1/8 mile is alittle low on MPH

I should have tried the x8s also instead of cutting for relocation brackets ,kills mes knowing what I did., I saved pieces though.
yeah at the time I had the stock shifter and any kind of speed shifting to third would result in it finding 5th instead of third. So I was grandma shifting the car. I was on a nice clean pass the one run felt like it would dip in the 11's but no shut down by going to fifth. still ran a 12.4 even though I wasted a lot of time going back to third. My cousin had the same results with the shifter when he took it down the track. His best was a 12.28.

DA712

Owner of 2012 & 13 Boss 302's
unrealford said:
What track are you running at? The best Ive seen in my area was a 12.5-12.6 on stock tires @ 112
Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn OR. Last Oct. high 60's and they had a awesome prep on the track. Had a .27, .29 and some low 30's (1.90's 60' time) I don't know what means what but those runs were around 115-116 as was my best last weekend but the pass that I turned a 116 was a tire spinning 12.90! FWIW I don't run any rpm's up before engaging the clutch, just adding throttle as clutch engages. Going back up next month and am going to play with the launch control.

Justin

DA712 said:
unrealford said:
Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn OR. Last Oct. high 60's and they had a awesome prep on the track. Had a .27, .29 and some low 30's (1.90's 60' time) I don't know what means what but those runs were around 115-116 as was my best last weekend but the pass that I turned a 116 was a tire spinning 12.90! FWIW I don't run any rpm's up before engaging the clutch, just adding throttle as clutch engages. Going back up next month and am going to play with the launch control.
The high MPH at the big end is usual result from over spinning the tires at the front. lol just as the Front wheel drive guys lol

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
DA712 said:
unrealford said:
Looks like that is a awesome track only 156ft elevation...I'm jealous...

Justin

unrealford said:
DA712 said:
unrealford said:
VMP is only 170FT :) Mason dixon where I ran at stock is 552

Who did you order your CAI's from? Dont get what the hold up on them would be.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Justin said:
unrealford said:
DA712 said:
unrealford said:

I bought a Steeda, They are back ordered because they recieved some bad Mass Air Meters

Justin

unrealford said:
Justin said:
unrealford said:
DA712 said:
unrealford said:

I bought a Steeda, They are back ordered because they recieved some bad Mass Air Meters
bad mass air meters? you reuse your factory one....

MA
Those are very good runs.

Mine runs exactly the same but I have an off road pipe and AED tune. I think DA and track prep plays a big role. I had a couple of 90-91 mph 1/8 mile traps so I know the car was running well. My 28" bias ply ET Streets felt like a boat anchor after the 1/8 mile marker, just sapped the power so much.

I just got home and saw the UPS man left my new 26x11.50x16 ET Street bias plys near my garage! Going to Musclepalooza at Lebanon Valley this upcoming Sunday. Never raced on any other track than New England Dragway so I'm looking forward to it. I think the 26" tire will get the revs right back where I need them! ;)

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
SVT1 said:

Mine runs exactly the same but I have an off road pipe and AED tune. I think DA and track prep plays a big role. I had a couple of 90-91 mph 1/8 mile traps so I know the car was running well. My 28" bias ply ET Streets felt like a boat anchor after the 1/8 mile marker, just sapped the power so much.

I just got home and saw the UPS man left my new 26x11.50x16 ET Street bias plys near my garage! Going to Musclepalooza at Lebanon Valley this upcoming Sunday. Never raced on any other track than New England Dragway so I'm looking forward to it. I think the 26" tire will get the revs right back where I need them! ;)
You'll be able to JUST cross the finish line on the 1/4 by 7,500 rpm.. I have 26,and 28s

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Justin said:
unrealford said:
Justin said:
unrealford said:
DA712 said:
unrealford said:

bad mass air meters? you reuse your factory one....
Sry I meant meter housings

MA
unrealford said:
SVT1 said:

You'll be able to JUST cross the finish line on the 1/4 by 7,500 rpm.. I have 26,and 28s

Good. That's exactly what I am hoping for then. Shaun the rev limiter set at 8300 in the tune so I'm good, although I wouldn't exactly want to hang 4th gear out at those engine speeds for long, 7,500 will be ideal through the traps. Mine are bias ply too so they will grow slightly up top, unlike a drag radial.

We'll see.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
SVT1 said:
unrealford said:
SVT1 said:

Good. That's exactly what I am hoping for then. Shaun the rev limiter set at 8300 in the tune so I'm good, although I wouldn't exactly want to hang 4th gear out at those engine speeds for long, 7,500 will be ideal through the traps. Mine are bias ply too so they will grow slightly up top, unlike a drag radial.

We'll see.
Good info , thx, I never tried Bias ..

TMO Supporting Vendors