The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My Boss problems.. (brand new 13 Laguna Seca)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepinocala said:
cloud9 said:
SUFitness said:
His reply was "I prefer listening to the Ford Technical Hotline than following an online forum"
So would I. The hotline gets actual data from real cars and parts that actually failed. Online forums are rife with opinions, speculations and fabrications that muddy up the real data.

I agree to disagree ;D My guy told me it's great when a customer let's them know of an issue theve herd of that way they could check the ford site to see if it has actually happened saving him alot of figuring. I know that forums have saved me alot of time with stupid issues but thay also cost me a crapload when they tell me of aftermarket parts ;D

I agree and disagree at the same time.. Yeah it's great to get feedback from these forums and know what's happening in the 'real world' - these forums save TONS of time in that way.

However.. online it's so easy to type away and mention how "I would've raised hell" or "You should just ask for a new car"... but really, my options are limited at this time.

I'm supposed to get the car back on Tuesday, if ANYTHING happens after that I'll be going for the lemon law. I just don't have the time to deal with this stuff. Until then my best move would be to be patient and grateful for what I do have I guess (although it's getting harder by the minute)

5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
Unfortunately you got one that has some issues initially. That doesn't mean that it's not fixable and surely doesn't mean that you'll lose out on all the big smiles once it gets sorted out. I hate to say this (and I'll probably get tons of posts on this...) but we did not buy a Porsche, we bought a Ford. Unfortunately the level of quality and tolerances of parts on a $50,000 car is not the same as a $150,000 one (Not to say Porsche's can't have issues as they roll out of the dealerships). That doesn't mean we don't or should not expect a perfect car when we buy it, but it does mean that more $%$# happens with these cars than with 'exotics'. The history with Ford so far with all of our issues is that they stand behind their work and will make it right. That's not to say the dealers all have the same mentality or even have the resources on their own to address issues with a Boss. Your answer lies with Ford's Boss technical support team.
The reality is our cars our basically $22,000 rental cars with high performance parts added. That's fine with me because on track it performs like a $100,000 exotic. ;) The exotics have their share of issues and I know of a Ferrari 458 that had to have an engine replaced. How much did that replacement engine cost? $75,000!

Sorry you're having issues but they will get resolved. Good luck.

Both awesome posts, and I totally agree

Before getting my boss I was set to choose between the Boss.. a used GTR.. Shelby GT500.. Audi RS5.. BMW M3 - the problem is now that I'm driving my rental Nissan Sentra, and I'll have to drive it for this long weekend.. my thoughts are starting to wander. Like "maybe I should've just gotten the RS5".

I'm actually from Europe myself (the Netherlands), and my friends back home always joked about American cars being unreliable - I'm definitely NOT telling them about this incident

Just remember if it gets fixed you will have one badass car. If not tell them to call you when they have a new one ready ???

5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:
Unfortunately you got one that has some issues initially. That doesn't mean that it's not fixable and surely doesn't mean that you'll lose out on all the big smiles once it gets sorted out. I hate to say this (and I'll probably get tons of posts on this...) but we did not buy a Porsche, we bought a Ford. Unfortunately the level of quality and tolerances of parts on a $50,000 car is not the same as a $150,000 one (Not to say Porsche's can't have issues as they roll out of the dealerships). That doesn't mean we don't or should not expect a perfect car when we buy it, but it does mean that more $%$# happens with these cars than with 'exotics'. The history with Ford so far with all of our issues is that they stand behind their work and will make it right. That's not to say the dealers all have the same mentality or even have the resources on their own to address issues with a Boss. Your answer lies with Ford's Boss technical support team.
The reality is our cars our basically $22,000 rental cars with high performance parts added. That's fine with me because on track it performs like a $100,000 exotic. ;) The exotics have their share of issues and I know of a Ferrari 458 that had to have an engine replaced. How much did that replacement engine cost? $75,000!

I agree with both of you. Our cars are cheap in many ways, and it does show. But hen again our car is amazing when functioning properly. I came from BMWs, specifically the newer twin turbo models, and I will tell you this, they have issues. My family got stranded 600 miles from home because my high pressure fuel pump went out on a car with 15k miles. BMW resisted recalling over this issue but it got so big they were getting sued. This wasn't the only problem either. Just like the Boss, BMW's are amazing when running properly. I think quality is suffering industry wide, even while warranties get better. Strange. My Boss has been pretty good, other than the clunky shifter, 4th gear lockout, rearend whine, strange rattle inside the car and the lurching thing. I am getting fearful tho. I haven't driven my car what I would consider hard, with 4k on it I don't think I have put what would equal 5 laps of track time type punishment. I do feel myself holding back for fear of something breaking. I hate that. That's what chased me from an M3.

Tflong24 said:
I am getting fearful tho. I haven't driven my car what I would consider hard, with 4k on it I don't think I have put what would equal 5 laps of track time type punishment. I do feel myself holding back for fear of something breaking. I hate that. That's what chased me from an M3.
Well there's only one way to find out if it will hold up. ;) You should be fine as most of us are beating on our cars and they just ask for more.

SUFitness said:
I agree and disagree at the same time.. Yeah it's great to get feedback from these forums and know what's happening in the 'real world' - these forums save TONS of time in that way.

However.. online it's so easy to type away and mention how "I would've raised hell" or "You should just ask for a new car"... but really, my options are limited at this time.

I'm supposed to get the car back on Tuesday, if ANYTHING happens after that I'll be going for the lemon law. I just don't have the time to deal with this stuff. Until then my best move would be to be patient and grateful for what I do have I guess (although it's getting harder by the minute)

That is exactly how I was, I all along just wanted my car fixed rather than lemon law it but 5 trips to the dealer (and trips back to pick it up) plus the hours of talking to Ford on the phone were complete bull considering it was an issue it had from new. I lost enough work time over the repair it would have been cheaper to just buy new calipers and install them, not to mention I was unable to drive my car for months because the brakes didn't work. They should require oems to extend the warranty for time equal to how long it took them to fix a problem.

Sesshomurai

Tflong24 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:

I agree with both of you. Our cars are cheap in many ways, and it does show. But hen again our car is amazing when functioning properly. I came from BMWs, specifically the newer twin turbo models, and I will tell you this, they have issues. My family got stranded 600 miles from home because my high pressure fuel pump went out on a car with 15k miles. BMW resisted recalling over this issue but it got so big they were getting sued. This wasn't the only problem either. Just like the Boss, BMW's are amazing when running properly. I think quality is suffering industry wide, even while warranties get better. Strange. My Boss has been pretty good, other than the clunky shifter, 4th gear lockout, rearend whine, strange rattle inside the car and the lurching thing. I am getting fearful tho. I haven't driven my car what I would consider hard, with 4k on it I don't think I have put what would equal 5 laps of track time type punishment. I do feel myself holding back for fear of something breaking. I hate that. That's what chased me from an M3.

Speaking to all, in general:

I had similar experience with other brand car. But the moral of all these stories is simple. Cars are mechanical things that sometimes break or don't work properly. Key word being "sometimes". Overall they work as advertised, but everything wears down. Despite issues here and there with Ford, the boss remains "the best mustang every built". That's going back decades. We're just extra sensitive to when things don't work because we've all gathered here on the forums to find solutions to those problems - and most here tend to really push the car.

Even if my boss malfunctions, I'll get it fix or fix it and move on and not really lose faith in Ford. They do the best they can to offer a low cost product that beats supercars at laguna seca track times. On the whole, its simply amazing.

None of this perspective is any solace to the OP and their problems and if it were me and I had to lemon law it, I would still go find another one.

TMO Supporting Vendors