The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My CEL problem and fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know there has been a number of us with CEL issues:

I have 2100 miles and I noticed about a week ago the CEL would flash randomly with either the Silver Key or Red Key. Usually 3-6 flashes, then go out. This happened 3 X's under normal driving.

Yesterday, started out with the Silver Key; Normal drive and the CEL flashes about 10 X's then stayed on continuously (first time). I called my Service Rep at Grapevine Ford and drove immediately to the dealership so they could get diagnose the issue.

Now when the CEL came on randomly or yesterday's deal, I noticed no change in the performance of the car.

They put it on the computer and came back with Random Misfire Codes and I think something about Crankshaft???

Anyway, the problem was due to an improper install of the TracKey. The last step in the installation was not done (selling dealer in Florida; which I called and informed them). So they redid the process and problem solved.

Everything works fine and they said I should even notice improved performance. I didn't have a lot of time to drive it hard, but what little driving I did do, I thought the performance was somewhat better (could be placebo??)

Anyway, thought I would pass this information to those who might be experiencing similar issues.

zzyzx said:
It would be nice if a mod could merge this with the main thread on this issue:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/cel-%27random-misfire%27-%28recurring%29/

That said, my gut tells me you will soon see a CEL again. When they did the "neutral profile learn" process, mine also seemed to go away (temporarily), but that only lasted a few drive cycles, before it was back to a flashing CEL.

I just posted it the main thread.

ps. I hope you're wrong! LOL I am watching for it. They didn't do the "neutral profile"

Do you have TracKey?

zzyzx

Steve
The neutral profile learn is part of the TracKey install. So, if they didn't do it then... dunno what that implies.

I don't have the TracKey installed yet. I won't install until I'm convinced that my CELs are gone for good.

Steve,

I'm not sure either. That's apparently the last step in the process. The TracKey worked great and I had no operating issues, except the CEL.

They told me that the last step was no problem, etc. etc.

You don't have the TracKey, so looks like our CEL issues might not be the same issue.

So, we will see.

Steve
Do I recommend the TracKey? Absolutely

zzyzx said:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/cel-%27random-misfire%27-%28recurring%29/

That said, my gut tells me you will soon see a CEL again. When they did the "neutral profile learn" process, mine also seemed to go away (temporarily), but that only lasted a few drive cycles, before it was back to a flashing CEL.

Your gut was right. Happened again tonight. I posted in the original thread.

zzyzx said:

Sorry, I gave you wrong link; my bad; here's where I posted
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/help!-p0010-and-p0012-camshaft-position-sensor-issues/

Oh heck, I'll be watching out for this. So far, so good.

Another two thoughts from the random thought generator: Has this situation been associated with any other mods, such as reducing back pressure by removing the side exhaust restrictor plates, cold air intakes, etc.? What is the code they are getting?

Mike

BossDuke,

I just talked to the Service Manager at the dealership. He seems to think it's something simple that will just take some time to run it down. I asked about the side restrictor plates and he said he's never seen that; plus they have removed those on every Boss they have sold.

He has seen the capless fuel filler be problem for sending CEL codes.

ps. His opinion on Mods like exhaust/CAI/Tune? No problem.

TMO Supporting Vendors