The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My DIY Oil Cooler Install (a few pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeing as how I am not made of money, I decided to see if I could beat the Ford price on an Air/Oil Cooler.

Here is my story....

label.jpg
This is the heart, a Setrab 925 oil cooler. Price, $387.08 and $77.77 for the Setrab fittings including shipping

Jegs10anPushlocHose_zpsacc87540.jpg
This is 20ft. of Jeg's -10an Pushloc hose. In my case it was about 8-10 ft. too much. Price, $67.99, free shipping.

Jegs10anPushlocFittings_zps327df3a4.jpg
Jeg's -10an Pushloc fittings, $35.98, free shipping

oilcooleradapter_zps07ce11ae.jpg
Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter from CXRacing.com , $49.49

Last edited:
I'm not positive where th oil pressure sensor and water temperature fittings are on my car but I think this might work for me.

Although I have been thinking about this.

http://www.shopgreddy.com/accessories/engine/oil-block-adapter-oil-sensor-adapter/adapter-oil-cooler-block-remote-filter.html

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sean said:
I'm not positive where th oil pressure sensor and water temperature fittings are on my car but I think this might work for me.

Although I have been thinking about this.

http://www.shopgreddy.com/accessories/engine/oil-block-adapter-oil-sensor-adapter/adapter-oil-cooler-block-remote-filter.html

That's a remote mount. Thought about that also. Would have to relocate filter and add more hose and fittings.

TMSBOSS said:
That's a remote mount. Thought about that also. Would have to relocate filter and add more hose and fittings.

Yep, I don't necessarily mind doing that. Grab the FRPP or Morso remote filter adapter kit, attach it to the block and create 2 more hose fittings and find a place to mount the oil filter.

But I think I will probably go with the Mishimoto piece since I believe my oil pressure sensor is located somewhere where this wouldn't be of an issue. Now I would have to figure out what temperature thermostat to go with. The 160, 185 or 200 degree thermostat.

drano38

Wayne
Wouldn't it be possible to drill/tap a hole or 2 into the Mishimoto plate for temp/pressure sensors?
That would make a slick setup with less parts.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this have the provisions for pressure and temp sensors?

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=OIL-SW4-AN10&Category_Code=FUSM

drano38

Wayne
Anyone else see this plate option with integrated thermostat and two 1/8" ports?
http://www.mishimoto.com/rear-mount-thermostatic-sandwich-plate.html#techspecs
If all of this would fit, it would be a slick setup for thermostat, temp and pressure.
Looks like it does not come with the attaching adapter. And if we need a 22mm, I don't see that they sell one.
It uses a square o-ring--don't know if that's better or worse. Filters use square, so must work ok.
For those who have added a plate, would this more squarish shape fit?

Wayne what about this one?

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-thermostatic-oil-sandwich-plate.html

mishimoto-thermostatic-sandwich-plate-gold-86.jpg

vs.

l-sandwich-plate-w-rear-mounted-thermostat-gold-13.jpg

drano38

Wayne
Rick,
The square one has two 1/8" ports. The rounded one says it only has one.
If I do this mod, I'd like a thermostat and 2 ports for oil temp and pressure. Although we've all proven temp will no longer be an issue, so pressure is maybe all we need.
Too many great choices out there.

I spoke with Mishimoto a couple weeks back. They do not have a 22mm adapter for there plate. I did get the ID of there plate and it is 24mm. I would think one could be found or cut down on a lathe if needed. They also informed me they are making an oil cooler kit for our cars, so it appears they will have a 22mm adapter, maybe in a month or so. I plan on purchasing this adapter from them. http://www.mishimoto.com/oil-sandwich-plate-m20-silver.html There adapters look like they will flow better than others and I will be able to install my oil temp sending unit in it.

drano38

Wayne
Sounds good. Hope they have a thermostat plate for us soon--I may pull the trigger on it.
Another option I have is buy a Mishimoto for the thermostat plate, and another cheap brand for the M22 adapter, then take it to a machine shop friend and have him mill out the center hole on a CNC machine to fit the M22 adapter.

boro92 said:
Question - is the oil cooler secured only by the 2 bolts on the rad support?
There's nothing else securing it from the bottom side? Just wanted to see how people are mounting something as vital as an oil cooler.

Sorry I must have missed this. I drilled and tapped two holes in the bumper. I used two long 6mm bolts, 4 washers, loctite blue. I made two spacers out of brake 5/16 brake line. I had to tilt the bottom to clear the bumper cover/grille....

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
2012Boss302 said:
Sorry I must have missed this. I drilled and tapped two holes in the bumper. I used two long 6mm bolts, 4 washers, loctite blue. I made two spacers out of brake 5/16 brake line. I had to tilt the bottom to clear the bumper cover/grille....

I attached two brackets to the top of the cooler between the support and the cooler bracket on top. On bottom I made two brackets that attach to the cooler and the bumper. Holds the cooler tightly.

06mach1 said:
I spoke with Mishimoto a couple weeks back. They do not have a 22mm adapter for there plate. I did get the ID of there plate and it is 24mm. I would think one could be found or cut down on a lathe if needed. They also informed me they are making an oil cooler kit for our cars, so it appears they will have a 22mm adapter, maybe in a month or so. I plan on purchasing this adapter from them. http://www.mishimoto.com/oil-sandwich-plate-m20-silver.html There adapters look like they will flow better than others and I will be able to install my oil temp sending unit in it.

Mishimoto now has their M22 X 1.5 Sandwich Plate with Rear-Mounted Thermostat up for sale on the website. Also, they have a cooler setup listed for the Mustang. I spoke to them about just a sandwich plate with NO thermostat and they stated they would have to make a whole new plate as the 22mm adapter will not work in there current plate. It did not sound like they planned on making a sandwich plate (without thermostat) for our cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors