The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My engine bay is smoking hot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Probably just "New Owner" jitters . . . but does everyone's engine bay get smoking hot after a just a quick jaunt? My 2013 finally arrived from Oklahoma yesterday and we took it out for a few spirited runs.

Got back and opened up the hood to install my Redline Struts and man everything was smoking hot to the touch. Plastic, Shock Towers, Hood Rod everything. Even an our later it was still hot to the touch. Gauges all read normal so just curious if all 2013 Boss' run this hot.

Thanks in advance . . .

YIKES! It just surprised me how hot. I'm used to the motor being hot in V8s but I've never seen this kind of hot. I may try trimming the sound material near the hood vents to allow a bit more air flow.

And I'll be watching my Redline Hood Stuts as well! :eek:

WinterSucks said:
I burnt my ear on a Redline hood strut. Does that answer the question?

Checking oil levels after track sessions are fun!

I was surprised about the heat as well, but I had never owned a V8 before, so I assumed all V8's get crazy hot.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Calif boss302 said:
YIKES! It just surprised me how hot. I'm used to the motor being hot in V8s but I've never seen this kind of hot. I may try trimming the sound material near the hood vents to allow a bit more air flow.

And I'll be watching my Redline Hood Stuts as well! :eek:

Sit at a red light on a hot summer's day with the A/C off and the windows down and also feel the warmth coming from the center console area.

Yes, the Boss is a hot car!

Normal. Doesn't the higher compression ratios in the motor have something to do with it? I have noticed my Boss was hot on the drive home after buying it. And it was raining is @ss off all 200 miles. I drove an 04 GT before that and it not got as warm as the boss.

It's called ThermoTec Acid Absorbing Battery Heat Barrier Kit 40'' x 8'' cost $29.00.I bought it from Optimum Preformance Products inc. OPP racing.com
You remove the Battery,some triming and taping required,I also managed to get the original Battery padding back on over it. I believe it works very well.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Pitt302 said:
It's called ThermoTec Acid Absorbing Battery Heat Barrier Kit 40'' x 8'' cost $29.00.I bought it from Optimum Preformance Products inc. OPP racing.com
You remove the Battery,some triming and taping required,I also managed to get the original Battery padding back on over it. I believe it works very well.

+1 - It works well. Mine is hidden under a battery cover so you don't even know it's there.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
103991-the-mask-smokin-gif-Imgur-uBdq.gif

TMO Supporting Vendors