The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My first oil change...grrrr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm posting this so it doesn't happen to anyone else reading this and to vent a bit...

I just had my first oil change at 1,200 miles. With a coupon it was $80 for full synthetic. The dealer also looked at a couple of other items including repairing the driver side lower valance that had a broken clip when delivered. Good deal right?

Well I was just reading my receipt and noticed they put in 5W20 weight oil. :'( I know the new 5 DOT 0 Mustangs run 5W20 but our Bosses use 5W50. So that's not going to work for the track right? I need to go back to the dealer for one more service item and will either have them change it again or refund my money. The dealer where I purchased my car only had one Boss 302 allocation, mine, so I'm not surprised they got it wrong and won't hold it against them as long at they make it right.

BTW the service writer asked me if it took full synthetic and I responded yes it's 5W50.

That sux. I'm going in 9/9 right b4 my first track day. They're going to check if track key is available. X fingers and hoping to get lucky. Also will be scheduling my oil and dif fluid change on 9/14. The day after the track. I am going to make a point of telling the service manager and the mechanic that works on my car.

I've been pricing out oil prices and filter prices for changing the oil myself, but with warranty and all I may just stick to allowing a dealership to do it. All in all the prices of doing it yourself and a dealer for me was close to the same.

I'll be pushing close to 3,000 miles when the first oil change happens but overall have had a great experiance with the car. No issues to really report other than the seatbelt rub on the upper part of the Recaro's. Let's hope no problems occur with the oil change.

98RedGT

2012 #552
It amazes me how little the dealership sales and service departments know about the Boss. You would think that with this car being so different than any other Mustang (including GT500) there would have been training provided by Ford. I understand that production quantity numbers are small on the Boss but still the dealership needs to understand the product they are selling. Make a chart, if nothing else, on oil weight or whatever else needs to be followed and follow it. :mad:

5 DOT 0 said:
I'm posting this so it doesn't happen to anyone else reading this and to vent a bit...

I just had my first oil change at 1,200 miles. With a coupon it was $80 for full synthetic. The dealer also looked at a couple of other items including repairing the driver side lower valance that had a broken clip when delivered. Good deal right?

Well I was just reading my receipt and noticed they put in 5W20 weight oil. :'( I know the new 5 DOT 0 Mustangs run 5W20 but our Bosses use 5W50. So that's not going to work for the track right? I need to go back to the dealer for one more service item and will either have them change it again or refund my money. The dealer where I purchased my car only had one Boss 302 allocation, mine, so I'm not surprised they got it wrong and won't hold it against them as long at they make it right.

BTW the service writer asked me if it took full synthetic and I responded yes it's 5W50.

This is why I always do all my own maintenance. Most mechanics rush threw a job to move onto the next one to maximize their pay. If you can find a small independent shop who cares about their reputation, you would be better off taking it to them than the dealer for any non warranty work.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Did you let them know they performed an un authorized mod and voided your warranty?
Seriously did they or are they going to drain and fill with correct oil?
This is why I do all my own work, you don't save much but you know it is done right with care. I know you love your car, if you don't want to DIY find a good independent shop and keep the receipts.
Steve

steveespo said:
Did you let them know they performed an un authorized mod and voided your warranty?
Seriously did they or are they going to drain and fill with correct oil?
This is why I do all my own work, you don't save much but you know it is done right with care. I know you love your car, if you don't want to DIY find a good independent shop and keep the receipts.
Steve
I sent an email to the sales manager whom I purchased the car through. I'm traveling next week including Track Attack at MMP so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to call them. I'm confident they will make good on their mistake or refund my money if they don't have 5W50.

My intake tube was heavily scratched at delivery so I'm making them replace it. They should have the part in stock within the next week or so and I'll have them replace the oil when they install the new intake tube.

My first oil change was free at the dealer, well not free since there is a dealer charge when you buy the car. They did put the 5W50 in correctly but put a FL820S on instead of the FL500S. After all the talking I did with them and FCS over this, I now have the excuse to use the FL820 (racing version). It is printed on the receipt.

It reminds me of the last time I took a vehicle of mine to anyone for any reason other than tires. I brought my '99 Super Duty PowerStroke down to have an injector break-out-box hooked up to diagnose which injector had failed. I specifically told them NOT to pull the valve covers. I specifically told them TO ONLY hook up the break-out-box. Yep, they pulled the covers and "disturbed" a custom fuel line I had on it that is not present in the factory config. Yep, leaked diesel all the way home. I have since made my own B-O-B and have one less reason to ever take it in!

I'm sure they'll have you hooked up with the new tube and oil. Shouldn't be a big deal. Looking forward to tomorrow my friend! I'll save you guys seats on the plane somehow.

Andy

atrain1975

On my first oil change, the service department sent me off with 7 qts of 5w 50. I didn't catch the error until I got home and pulled the dipstick. Because the level was low, I checked my receipt which showed 7qts. I was able to buy 2 qts of 5w 50 Castrol Syntec that same day. I sent an email to the dealership's GM (I do business with her and she the reason I got a 1st qtr allocation) who forwarded my email to the service manager who promptly called to apologize and pay me for the 2 qts I had to buy. They only charged me for 7 qts initially, so I ended up in a better position monetarily, but I was p.o.'d about their mistake.

As is the case with others here, the Motorcraft oil is so pricey that it is cheaper for me to have the dealer change it than to do it myself. I have the service department's full attention these days so I think that I will get more attention to detail in the future.

I guess the lesson here is to read the service receipt very carefully before driving off!

GA
atrain1975 said:
On my first oil change, the service department sent me off with 7 qts of 5w 50. I didn't catch the error until I got home and pulled the dipstick. Because the level was low, I checked my receipt which showed 7qts. I was able to buy 2 qts of 5w 50 Castrol Syntec that same day. I sent an email to the dealership's GM (I do business with her and she the reason I got a 1st qtr allocation) who forwarded my email to the service manager who promptly called to apologize and pay me for the 2 qts I had to buy. They only charged me for 7 qts initially, so I ended up in a better position monetarily, but I was p.o.'d about their mistake.

As is the case with others here, the Motorcraft oil is so pricey that it is cheaper for me to have the dealer change it than to do it myself. I have the service department's full attention these days so I think that I will get more attention to detail in the future.

I guess the lesson here is to read the service receipt very carefully before driving off!

It's a good idea to remind the service rep to check the VIN for part numbers and special service notes since it is a special edition. I have always done that with my Bullitt since it has mostly standard GT parts, but also a sprinkle of unique parts and a dollup of GT500 parts that I don't want replaced with standard GT parts.

5 DOT 0 said:
I'm not going to be too hard on the dealer but for laughs I just popped the hood and it says 5W50 right on the oil filler cap. :eek:
I had to do the same at my dealer. The Quick Lane service manager insisted it was a syn blend until I popped the hood. He sheepishly retreated to his desk. They didn't have Motorcraft full syn, but were able to get Mobile One.

There are several Oil change topics out here, but since this is titled first oil change I thought I'd post here. I changed mine first at just under 2K. I really wrestled with when to do the first change because I'd always done them at around 1K with the new vehicles I've owned over the years. I knew there were break in additives from the factory so decided to compromise and run the original oil for about 2K, but didn't want to wait until the computer told me to change - probably somewhere around 5K I was guessing.
Anyway, I dropped a note to Ford a week or so before I planned to change the oil and just received this reply. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing:

According to our Technical SME, in the past changing oil on vehicles at 1000 miles was a common practice. With today's modern engines, it has become less of a requirement as the engines are broken in at the plant. The factory oil in a Ford or Lincoln vehicle contains break in additives which will aid engine break on over the length of the first oil change interval. The requirement to break in the vehicles is based more on the manner in which a vehicle is operated. As per the Boss 302 Supplement (page 5) the break in procedure follows:

Any opinions as to when to make the first oil change?

I've always believed in getting any machining remnants out of the engine a.s.a.p., however, rumors of break-in additives added at the factory may modify my position on the early oil change.

I realize we could debate the capabilities of modern machine tooling, etc., to debunk my early oil change theory, but I still think it worth-while between 600-1,000 miles excepting any feedback regarding break-in additives.

Anyone??
Thx..

lbp said:
Any opinions as to when to make the first oil change?

I've always believed in getting any machining remnants out of the engine a.s.a.p., however, rumors of break-in additives added at the factory may modify my position on the early oil change.

I realize we could debate the capabilities of modern machine tooling, etc., to debunk my early oil change theory, but I still think it worth-while between 600-1,000 miles excepting any feedback regarding break-in additives.

Anyone??
Thx..
Oil subjects always get lots of opinions.
Changed mine at 1000, I wanted it done then, I feel better - worked for me.
I get 2 "free" dealer oil changes for it's first year, so will get it done again before my one year ends regardless of the low miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors