The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My first track day with The Drivers Edge at MSR-H--A review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First off, this was the 2nd time ever on a road course and the first in about 7 years. Then I ran at a little track in PA (Was called Beaver Run, now Pittsburgh International Raceway). Then, I ran my 1988 GT that was stock power-wise, but had some simple suspension mods (Bilstein shocks, MM springs, caster/camber plates, 2 piston front brakes, rear disc conversion, etc).

On to this event.

My car is a 2016 PP GT with BMR performance springs, Continental DWS-06 tires (stock PP sizes) with MMD Zeven wheels (19x8.5 and 19x10 stagger), GT350 CAI and Lund 93 tune.

Day 1:

Classroom session: Intro to the track, what to expect, etc.

Run 1:
This was a "get to know the track" session. No helmet. For the first 2 laps, my instructor (who has a FBO 14 GT) drove my car to show me the line he uses and to give me an idea to take in the track. After 2 laps, we switched and I drove the car to try the line and get feedback at higher speed. Not bad.

Classroom session 2: Review of run 1.

Run 2:
This was done at "full speed" with helmet. The first thing I learned is I needed to be more patient with turn-in when it came to the turns. Plus, my timing with the shifts, braking, etc was a mess. I had no clue what I was doing. I was going through the corners slower than molasses and was not setting myself up for the straights at all.

Classroom session 2: More review, talk about car control, balance, oversteer, understeer, basic safety, etc.

Lunch: Parade laps in a torrential downpour.

Run 3:
The track was wet, but no lightning so we had corner workers. Had to learn a little more car control, difference in lines, etc.

Classroom 3: Review of driving in the rain, what did we learn, etc.

Run 4:
Lightning in the area, no corner workers, so we had parade lap, but I took the time to work on my line.

Review of Day 1: By the end of the day, I realized I really really don't know this car at all. I was overthinking a ton the whole day. I was trying to figure out what to do in the corner as I was in the corner instead of setting myself up prior to the corner. I was having a hard time hitting my shift points (mainly downshifting). I was too busy heel-toe down shifting and trying to do 10 things while trying to read a line and listen to an instructor in my ear was too much. I left the track feeling defeated. I was expecting to do so much better (my first ever event in the fox, I graduated to solo after 2 sessions). I was determined to do better on Day 2.

Day 2.

Classroom session to start the session:
Watched a clip of Jackie Stewart from when he was on Top Gear. He talked about car control, simplifying things, etc. Good information

Run 1:
This session was better today than any yesterday. We had a dry track so I could push it a bit. My first 2 laps were just "meh". Things clicked after that. I remembered to breathe going into the corners and I felt smooth. I actually hit a particularly tough part of the track perfectly a couple of times, but I was still turning in too soon and missing some shift points. I wasn't going full throttle in the corners and I wasn't looking ahead as much as I needed to. My instructor was happy with the way things went, so I felt better.

Classroom 2: Review of run and we started the session learning what we would be "graded" on for our next on-track session. Talked about things maybe we werent doing as well. I immediately realized I needed to pay more attention to the corner workers and vowed to call them out each time I saw them. I also knew I needed to ask my instructor what I needed completely (even though we discussed things after each run).

Run 2:
I was ready. I felt calm, I was breathing normally. I talked to Steve (instructor) and told him what I felt I needed to work on and how I was going to do it. We started out with a hot, sticky track. I picked up where I left off and hit some good corners, but was still turning in too quickly on one of the sweepers at the end of a straight. Every damn time. The good thing is I recognized it then the next time around, I told my instructor how I was going to enter the corner and what I was expecting. I called out every flag I saw and stopped heel-toeing and also waited longer in a few of the corners to downshift. By the end of the session, I was at the back of the pack mainly due to my work needed in the corners. I then asked Steve what he thought of the session and he just reinforced in me that I need to learn the car a lot more and the only way to do that is through repetition. He said I seem to feel comfortable in the car, but I have to learn when/where to shift to make sure I'm set-up in the corners for the next straight. Once I"m smoother, then I can push the speed a bit.

Overall:
I had a great time. I was a little deflated at the end of day 1, but only because I knew I could do better. I did do better on day 2. I'll still be in the first run group (Green) next time at this track (or any track with this group), but I welcome that wholeheartedly. I need all the help I can get.

I'm hooked like I knew I would be. I also realize the only mods I need to be buying are track days/weekends. I wasn't even close to reaching the potential of this car at all. I had some tire squeal during some good turns, but I need a shiznit ton more seat time.

There was a professional photo guy there so hopefully I get some good pics and when I do, I'll add them here.

I knew I"d enjoy it, but I def have a lot to learn.

Very nice but where's the photos? ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel