The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My first wash n seal plan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1. Wash the car to strip any dealership crud with generic car wash soap
2. Completely dry the car
3. Tape off Black plastics with painter's tape
4. Seal with Rejex to include glass and smooth plastics
5. Pull wheels off and Clean & seal with Rejex the rims and Reinstall
6. Clean interior and treat plastics with Macguires plastic protectant
7. Still need to find some cloth protectant (any idea's here?)
8. Let the sealant cure in the garage over night
9. Apply a layer of some Carnuba wax or two.
10. remove tape and carefully treat the black trim

I think that's about it. I will post some pics later this week. Waiting for my stuff to arrive from Autogeeks.

Chris

I think i will also try a few coats, Rejex is similar to Klasse from what I read, Rejex was recommended by my friend who has his own detail business for about 15yrs, it's cheap too, $17 for 16oz. A lot of detailers use it on rims because of the price.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Do the plastics with 22ple vr1

Watch painters tape on the door rubber it causes spots to form. I use the detailers tape from Adams that tape is great sticks much better and leaves no residue like painters tape can.

Justin said:
Do the plastics with 22ple vr1

Watch painters tape on the door rubber it causes spots to form. I use the detailers tape from Adams that tape is great sticks much better and leaves no residue like painters tape can.

Thanks Justin! I will have to order some 22ple, is there anything comparable a little cheaper? 22ple seems like a lot of dough for a small amount. I originally asked that detail guy about 22ple and he had used it on his Hennessy Corvette, he liked it, but said it won't last as long as they claim if you actually drive the car. He suggested the Rejex and thinks it lasts just as long. But I've been up in the air for the black rough plastics, but 22ple vr1 does look much better than the normal spray protectant. I seen a youtube video demoing it too. Over time I may pick up replacement plastic pieces and store them. My 2000 GT has all new plastic and looks fantastic. My son and I are going to do the same to the 2000, but I think were going to polish that one before we seal it. It's been garaged most of it's life and the original paint has faired great.

I wish the Boss could fit some larger tires though. The 315's look so sweet on the 2000 and hook up great.

Chris

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
that little bottle goes a long long way. I actually drive my car everyday to work and back and its holding up really well and I wash and detail my car A LOT. I have some wipe new from the tv commercials in the garage waiting for the 22ple to wear off and give it a try. I dont have high hopes that it will though lol.

Justin said:
that little bottle goes a long long way. I actually drive my car everyday to work and back and its holding up really well and I wash and detail my car A LOT. I have some wipe new from the tv commercials in the garage waiting for the 22ple to wear off and give it a try. I dont have high hopes that it will though lol.

I'll use the Meguires for now till I order the 22PLE, I also have some Mother's Back to Black which I've used on my other cars in the past. But I want something that protects and last longer, so the $40 bucks sounds worth it. Thanks.

Chris

EDIT: Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant looks very good too, like the 22PLE . I'm torn on which to order, maybe I will try the Wolfgang's and compare my results to the 22PLE you used. Both are priced the same, but the Wolfgang's is more ounce's.

EDIT2: Just ordered Ultima Trim & Tire Guard. Read some reviews and it seems the same as Wolfgang's. It's a polymer also. It's tough to swallow $45 for less than an ounce of something. I'll see how this does on the trim.

Finally got my stuff from Autogeeks and found some time this weekend to mostly get this done. I washed the car Sunday and used my backpack leaf blower to help dry it off. I probably looked crazy but it worked fantastic. I ran out of time, so pulled it back into the garage for the night. I'm off on Monday's so I used the Meguire's Clay bar kit and finished that while buffing dry behind each section. I'm now a believer in claying a car. I thought my car's finish was smooth, but I was very wrong. Next I applied the Rejex with a foam wax pad in a light coat. It was a cool day and I actually applied it to the whole car, windows and rims too. Then I buffed it off quickly as I had a lot of errands to do still too. Missed a few spots which buffed off the next day. That evening I also applied the Ultima Trim Guard, this stuff is very different than any other trim dressing i've used before. A few drops goes a long way. I used a foam painter's brush from home depot to apply it to all the wholes in the front grills. (had to hit a few spots the next day that I missed) Also hit the mud flaps and a few things under the hood with this as well. Oh and I covered most of the front wheel wells. Then in the garage for the night.

I plan on pulling the wheels off and coating the inside of the rims with the Rejex and finishing the inside of the wheel wells with the Ultima sealant.

So far the car turned out great, very slick stuff. I'd like to apply another coat if I have time next weekend. I will post some pics, although it basically looks like a clean shiny Red Boss 302. :p

Chris

You really don't need to dry the car after washing and before claying. I just leave it wet, spray on the lube, and clay away, and then dry the water/lube mix. I would, however, rewash after clay if you are going straight to sealant, but I alwasy do at least a cleaner wax before I seal so the surface is optimally prepared for the sealant.

TMO Supporting Vendors