The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My greatest nightmare.. 2 car teams and on TV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Watched the race and what a huge blunder , but I was absolutely blown away by George Russell's drive in a car he was completely new to. Have to imagine there is some discussion going on about how soon Bottas might be replaced. I like Vallteri, but it has been obvious for a couple of years that Mercedes has kept his contract super short ( time wise ) and Russell has been touted as a possible move up to a partner with Hamilton. After his qualifying, run, and scramble through the last part of the race (after an unlucky puncture ), he has definitely popped up on their radar --- and everyone else!

Last edited:
Problem is, a lot of these guys don't want to be driver #2, Remember the short time Prost and Senna were on the same team.. total turmoil

I am a grown man, and a part of me was crying inside for Russell. Russell is super talented (like almost everyone on that grid), but it shows you how dominate the Mercedes is. Russell finishing last/near last at most races, jumps in the Mercedes that he didn't even fit in. Is .02 off pole, and if not for all the saftey cars/pit screw ups would have been miles out. I think at one point he was 8+ seconds ahead of P2 (Bottas). Lewis is a very consistent driver, but whoever is in that car is winning.

Last edited:
TX
Problem is, a lot of these guys don't want to be driver #2, Remember the short time Prost and Senna were on the same team.. total turmoil

Hamilton and Rosberg led to some great racing. It can be done with the right drivers.

I'd love to see Russell and Hamilton on the same team for a while!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hamilton and Rosberg led to some great racing. It can be done with the right drivers.

I'd love to see Russell and Hamilton on the same team for a while!
I think many Hamilton fans would like to see him get challenged by a young teammate like Russell. His detractors would be absolutely ecstatic to see him get beat by a talented teammate. Fans of the sport would love to see more exciting battles at the front. People tired of watching Mercedes dominating probably won't enjoy it though. I think Merc has to replace Bottas now.

TX
I think many Hamilton fans would like to see him get challenged by a young teammate like Russell. His detractors would be absolutely ecstatic to see him get beat by a talented teammate. Fans of the sport would love to see more exciting battles at the front. People tired of watching Mercedes dominating probably won't enjoy it though. I think Merc has to replace Bottas now.

I agree. Plus, I think Merc will want Hamilton's expertise for the 2022 car development, so getting rid of him isn't realistic (even if they could easily win with Russell). I really hope they make something happen. It would be such a missed opportunity!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I agree. Plus, I think Merc will want Hamilton's expertise for the 2022 car development, so getting rid of him isn't realistic (even if they could easily win with Russell). I really hope they make something happen. It would be such a missed opportunity!
Not to mention that Hamilton is going to need a successor at some point pretty soon anyway.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Who knows what could happen, as Hamilton wants 50+ million next year and has not signed a contract. Maybe keeping Bottas and having him as the mentor for Russell makes sense as well as huge cost savings! With changes in overall Team expenditures coming , who knows Toto Wolf may say Mercedes could use the money --- be wild if Hamilton is left out , but 50 Mil in this crazy Pandemic year seems a bit much, imho!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Who knows what could happen, as Hamilton wants 50+ million next year and has not signed a contract. Maybe keeping Bottas and having him as the mentor for Russell makes sense as well as huge cost savings! With changes in overall Team expenditures coming , who knows Toto Wolf may say Mercedes could use the money --- be wild if Hamilton is left out , but 50 Mil in this crazy Pandemic year seems a bit much, imho!!

Hamilton should have to pay Mercedes to drive that car. Maybe Williams would pay him $50m to be a back marker?? Probably not.

TX
My understanding is that the budget caps don't include the drivers' salaries, so budget constraints wouldn't be a huge hit from Hamilton. I also wouldn't discount how much publicity and money Hamilton brings to a team through his popularity and marketability.

To sort of get back on topic, we almost had something like this happen to us, at some tracks there is not enough pit spaces for both the GS and the TCR field. In several we share stalls with the Hearta Hyundai team. The thinking is that the cars are so disparate that they'll never be in the pits at the same time.. in practice. At Road Atlanta they came in and did a fuel and 4 tire change, they were still in our pit when our car came down pit lane, they literally made it out as we came in.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
My understanding is that the budget caps don't include the drivers' salaries,
They mentioned something about this on the Sky/ESPN coverage recently. IIRC, they said the driver's salary is included in the budget cap, but outside that the driver can be paid for additional services to the team, like "brand ambassador" - effectively making the cap meaningless in respect to driver salary.

Jean Todt: So Toto, you're telling me Lewis signed a 3-year contract for $1 per year?
Toto Wolff: Absolutely. By the way, we're also paying him $30 million a year as a social medai influencer. Those YouTube & Instagram people are making crazy money these days.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel