The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My History: My best road racing Mustangs (some w/ pics). It won 65 podiums.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
I am an old guy. I graduated from the Road Atlanta Driving School in 1990. It was sponsored by Datsun, and we drove the old 300ZX cars in the school. They did not handle well. A good lap time was below 2:00 minutes.

That is old since it was before Dr. Panoz bought Road Atlanta. He took out the famous "Dip" in the back straight and replaced it with T-10A and T-10b. He wanted an IMSA car event which he got.

I raced a SCCA BMW 2002 in 1990. It was not competitive. SCCA liked wrecking cars at the time. I moved to vintage racing. I won some in a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite. It would do a !:52 lap time. The cost of racing was very expensive for me.
Spriteb.jpg

A good friend offered me a race prepared 1965 Mustang for the Sprite.We did the deal in 2 minutes.
2009Mitty.jpg

I made a few modifications with much help from other Mustang guys.

It did win the podiums.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Damn, Doc , your old stories make me believe you need to just put the Ford and Mustang Roundup on your calendar for October. No worries about telling me it is a long drive , or using the excuse you are old, because there are plenty of us that are old who race with the young whippersnappers who show up. Heck, you might even go off track into the alfalfa and I would have to award you a F.A.R.T. ( Ford Alfalfa Racing Team) sticker. It gives a new meaning to the term Old F.A.R.T., but then you ran Vintage Racing for so long , Old should be a term of endearment to you?!

First week in October, 10th Annual Event, other aged gentleman, who, after a few beers , become some of the most competitive bench liars, er, racers , you have ever met!!

You and I can even relate ---- went from racing Spec Miata to ST2 Boss S, similar to your Bugeye to Pony transition!

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
Thanks guys,
I must mention the 1995 Cobra R that I bought which was raced by Snipes Ford from a shop in PA. Snipes sold it when it ran out of IMSA participation (the dude was good). In year 2000, IMSA had a ~5 year window of opportunity so a 1995 Mustang (or BMW or Miata) got sold to vintage racers.

They called this the Stars and Stripes car.
Mitty2013.jpg

Mitty2013a.jpg

Mitty2013DJ.png

These old IMSA cars have very safe cages so no need to speed money there.

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
I also raced this 1994 Cobra. I ordered it with no options (A/C was standard). I had a friend weld in a rollbar while doing all he safety stuff as required to get thru Tech. It was a fun car and still races with a new owner that installed a new big HP engine.
Sebring1997.jpg
94CobraSeb.jpg

94CobraSeb2.jpg

Seems to me you're kinda partial to red!
Just sayin'.

Good job, another MG Bugeye/Spridget guy, I still miss my old 1275cc 72 Midget.
I've never raced at Road Atlanta, but I've worked on some laydown karts that ran there and also did a one off with these guys when they won at RA and went on to win the championship.

nLOORXql.jpg

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
..Good job, another MG Bugeye/Spridget guy, I still miss my old 1275cc 72 Midget.

It did teach me car control and how to keep momentum. It can take two laps to make up for a mistake. Note the right-hand car had spin-off wire wheels. The hard top was factory correct.

The worst part was the cost. Most parts very expensive and race car parts from England were stupid expensive. I remember buying 4 straight-cut gears for the Sprite transmission for $400. A rebuilt Ford 4-speed transmission (toploader) was $400 back then.

TMO Supporting Vendors