The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My Journey to The Boss (long story, but I'm glad to be here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been involved with Hi Performance Vehicles since the 60's. Ford, Mopar, GM, Imports, etc. Driven, owned, sold. I'm no longer in the Automobile business, but have loved Muscle Cars forever.

Ok, here's the deal. In July I just paid off my 2004 CTS V. Had a few mods and really had no intention of buying anything else. One of my Son-in-Laws has a 2009 CTS-V with 680 RWHP. He talked me into taking my V out to the Texas Motor Speedway summer drags.

We went out on Friday, July 13th. Ran a few practice runs (1/8) and was beat by a 2012 5.0, then a Vette (I'm blaming wheel hop). Anyway, I get back to the stands and my wife puts me on Drag Race Restriction; she says (for all of our family to hear) "You are not racing again, until you are Faster and Louder!"

Then she adds: "call Kathy in Orlando and see if she has any Hot Rod Mustangs". Now the only people that use the term "Hot Rods' are from my generation (60's) AND the original product managers for the 69/70 Boss ( I read that recently in an article in 5.0 Magazine, August 2011).

Our daughter Kathy is the Office Manager at a Ford Store in Orlando. So we call her on the way home from the track and ask her. She says she will check Monday AM when she goes back to work. Now, I'm halfway kidding about the whole deal. I get a call from her on Monday, "Dad, you won't believe it but there is a 2013 Boss 302 on the showroom floor, I don't think you can get any discount, much less D Plan, but I will check for you."

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with Ford, so I had to google about the new Boss and found this forum, etc. In less than an hour, I'm sold on the Mustang Boss! I called her back and she told me that if I was interested, then I could in fact buy the 13 Boss for D Plan. I got with Sales Manager and asked him if he would hold the car. I called a wholesaler friend of mine here in Dallas and sold my V in 2 days.

Now, I had not been able to drive the new Boss, but decided to buy it. We did all the paperwork and bought a 1 way ticket to Orlando. Arrived on Monday, July 30th. From reading all the knowledgeable posts I had the dealership install the TracKey and remove the side restrictor plates. Got to the dealership, did the delivery stuff and drove it for the first time.

I have never been so impressed on a first drive as I was with my new Boss. We made the 1100 mile journey home. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and mile. Don't need a nice radio with exhausts like these!

I appreciate all of your posts and information. I 'm learning as much as I can, as fast as I can.

My wife was right; I'm louder and faster and it's certainly a Hot Rod.
What a car!

Steve
0949 Performance White 500A Recaros TracKey

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Really enjoyed reading your story-- thanks for sharing! Perhaps you'll have a chance to post more about your experiences and impressions of the Boss, particularly in light of your extensive background. I'm curious how it compares to the newer CTS-V, for example.

Congrats on your new toy, and I think you owe your wife a night out!

That is one of the most entertaining posts I've read on this forum. I was smiling all the way through. Thanks for taking the time to share it. I'm going to make my wife read it so she can get over her post traumatic stress syndrome from our "cruise" two days ago.

Mike

That's a great first post and welcome to BMO.

CrashTex said:
Really enjoyed reading your story-- thanks for sharing! Perhaps you'll have a chance to post more about your experiences and impressions of the Boss, particularly in light of your extensive background. I'm curious how it compares to the newer CTS-V, for example.

I will do that soon. "a night out?" We've been married for over 42 years (Hot Rod generation). She's working it everyday. Shiny things, clothes, etc..... As long as I can drive the Boss, I don't care!!

Cools story welcome to the Boss forum ;D My story is much simpler. I was at my local ford dealer picking something up for my wifes f150, saw a comp orange boss in the showroom went over to the sales man he has been with the dealer for just over 35 years, I told him as he walked by me hey Id like to take a test drive and he just laughed and kept walking, I was stunned :eek: ,what about this orange car is so special? then I leaned of the BOSS ;D Took two weeks of negotiation and Im very happy.

What a great story! Congrats on your '13 Performance White Boss! I have to say, the CTS-V is one impressive machine. A new black CTS-V 6-spd wagon was at the local Sat AM coffee cruise recently... man, what a bad-ass car! Were I in the market for a wagon or CUV-type vehicle I'd definitely have to consider one of these.

When people complain that modern cars don't have the soul or character of cars from the '50s or '60s, they haven't driven cars like a new Boss 302, or Caddy CTS-V. You get unmatched performance, drivability and awesome looks, along with modern comfort, convenience and reliability ... and a warranty.

Since I haven't driven one I can't speak for the Caddy, but I know of no other contemporary car that has the sheer visceral character and soul that the Boss 302 has. I've owned a '69 Boss 429 and a '70 Boss 302, and this new Boss 302 puts the old ones to shame in every respect. Not even close! Well, ok, that Boss '9 motor is still damned impressive to gawk at...

But, that we even can buy a car like the new Boss 302 Mustang, in 2012, with a warranty and a special Trackey factory tune, just astounds me. We are so lucky. Good Bless America!

98RedGT

2012 #552
Congrats and you are sure to enjoy it for a long time to come. Bought mine without a test drive, just based on pictures from a dealer in Texas. No regrets.

Of the 30 plus cars I've owned there were only two I didn't test drive before purchase, my '69 Boss and my '12 Boss, both bought off the dealer's lot as new cars. I've regretted several of my other purchases, but not these two, both keepers. Now the two boys can each get something they actually want when the time comes without having to cut cards for the '69.

Mike

Boss949 said:
CrashTex said:

Personal cars have been 71 Dodge R/T (440 Magnum) 74 Vette (350), 86 Mustang GT 5.0, BMW 740i. Cars I've had access to drive on frequent or daily use have been: Porches (911s, Grey Market Twin Turbo 400hp) Ferrari's, etc.

The old Muscles cars were great, fast in a straight line, fun; imports? great fun in driving handling, etc.

My 04 CTS V is a car I really liked as much as anything. 6 speed, fast, great handling and real smooth on the highway; previous best highway/high speed was the 98 BMW 740i. Favorite overall american car before the V was the 86 Mustang GT 5.0. The CTS V had a lot of great qualities that provided performance (except for wheel hop), comfort, etc. My Son-in-Law has a 2009 CTS V that he has modded up to 680+ RWHP. This car is a beast. Sounds like a Nascar, luxury, and too fast. Trying to get all that power to rear wheels for good launch is a problem. He runs 7.28 in 1/8 and 11.22 in 1/4. However, it is over 700 lbs heavier than Boss. It's a great, fast luxury car that kills BMW's, most Vettes, Camaro's, Shelby's, Vipers, Ferrari's, Porsches, almost anything you'll find on the street.

Now for my personal comparison of the 2013 Boss after 3 weeks.

The High Revving, great handling, real loud, Recaro comforting, most fun car I've ever owned.

This car is 20 times better than my 04 CTS V. Way better than old Muscle Cars. More powerful than those Euro's.

I'm thinking for the money or even not the money, best American Made Muscle Car. I have a friend who has a 2010 GT 500; I drove it; nice but it didn't sway me.

I'm thinking that the 2012/13 Boss could go down in history as one of the top 5 Muscle Cars ever. Maybe #1.

We get this car stock and it's phenomenal. And for those who want to modify it, track it etc., the possibilities are through the roof. Speaking of the roof or lack of options like Sun Roof, Nav, power seats, sound systems? I could care less, this is exactly what I like about the Boss. Single focus for power, handling, etc.

Ok, that's my take on it so far. You think I 've had enough of the Kool Aide?

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Nice write-up, and 42 years--wow!

+1 on the post about the Boss having visceral appeal. Exactly what drew me to it. My orevious car was a BMW, and it was sublime. Had a chance, and wife's go-ahead for an M3..... Chose the Boss.

Love it. Primal satisfaction.

Awesome story - and you will have more - many more in this beast. My wife got 100% car sick after a few fun pulls and i am on notice when we go out together in the BOSS :)

Congrats man !

TMO Supporting Vendors