The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My Missing RED KEY story.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Wed night I returned home, almost out of gas, bad storm in the area. Parked the car in the garage, and placed my Red Key "somewhere"..... Sat, went to go outside with my son Jack (He's three) and wash our cars (My Boss, and his powerwheels Boss), and No Red Key in it's normal spot on my wife's desk. Hmmm. Jack, have you seen my Red Key...."Nope!".

Sat and Sun the depression sets in ???, Search and search.....no Red Key. Checked at the gym 2x's......no Red Key turned in.

Today, made a few phone calls to order a replacement key. Dealer #1....Key Replacement $302.00 and $150.00 to re-program the key.
Hmmm, I think your quoting me for the price to purchase trac key...that's the price I paid. No, Key is 302.00. I hung up the phone and determined this conversation would have to be in person, but in the mean time I'd check 2 more dealers.

Dealer #2- Ahh, someone that knows what they are doing, trac key will cost $125.00. Ok, now on to service to get a price quote to flash the key......................$250.00, 2-3 hours labor :mad: How about you price match the original cost to flash my trac key software for $115.00.....ahhhhhhhh, nope.

Dealer#3 I have a new Trac key on the way, how much to program. Depending on if there are any issues, $50-$100.00 ;D

Ok, so plan was to order key from Dealer #2 and have Dealer #3 program it.........................

Until, at approximatly 5 PM, Jack goes to his tri-cycle, Pulls an object that was wedged between the seat and frame.............

"Daddy.........RED KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Moral of the story, Protect your Red Key with your life.......................Dealers are idiots!!!!!!

LMAO. I'm glad you found the red key.

Knowing about the cost of programming a key when only one is available, I immediately bought a spare Red Key. If you have two keys, you can program the third yourself.

Look in the center where the cup holder is. Mine fell between the the swing door and the inside.. Make a wire hook and you can get it out. If you find away to remove the cup holder assy. please post. Good Luck

PTRocks said:
Knowing about the cost of programming a key when only one is available, I immediately bought a spare Red Key. If you have two keys, you can program the third yourself.
In about a week or so my trackey code is coming to dealer and they are programming as part of purchase agreement. Can you explain above about programing the spare key yourself, probably easier for me to set up spare right away..??

shlby500 said:
PTRocks said:
In about a week or so my trackey code is coming to dealer and they are programming as part of purchase agreement. Can you explain above about programing the spare key yourself, probably easier for me to set up spare right away..??

It's in the manual, it is basically you put a key in, turn it, then swap keys and repeat iirc. I bought a non-remote 3rd key as a spare in case I lose one and left it with my father in case he ever needs to move my car to get tools or something out of my garage. It was easy. You can also turn off the seat belt chimes in a similar way.

Not quite a red Key But My wife lost her wedding ring$$ when she went to wash her hands. 6 months later on MOTHERS DAY she found them. Our little girl was playing with them and had placed them in a curio type box in our living room.

TMO Supporting Vendors