The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
So if my Gen 1 timing equipment would transfer over to a Gen 3 Aluminator, am I buying a Gen 1 kit or a Gen 3 kit? Does it matter?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Even then it wouldn't work as the exhaust phasers are totally different.
The FP kits include new phasers specific to gen 1, 2 or 3. To your point though, the camshafts would also need to be swapped to completely transition to Gen 3 - it’s not just simply changing the PCM and harness.

I have a Gen 3 Aluminator with Gen 2 heads, Gen 1 timing components, CJ intake, L&M intake cams, CJ exhaust cams, etcetera sitting in the garage to be installed in a friends car this weekend.
Is the CJ exhaust cam a worthy addition to the L&M intake set? Tough to find them anymore. Mad Hatter and AED Shaun were not a fan of the L&M exhaust cams. Now that I have bare heads just sitting here I want to get the most out of the Aluminator without removing the phasers. The CJ cams were made to work with the Boss and keep the phasers. The other option would be to spend on head porting but that starts to get very expensive.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Is the CJ exhaust cam a worthy addition to the L&M intake set? Tough to find them anymore. Mad Hatter and AED Shaun were not a fan of the L&M exhaust cams. Now that I have bare heads just sitting here I want to get the most out of the Aluminator without removing the phasers. The CJ cams were made to work with the Boss and keep the phasers. The other option would be to spend on head porting but that starts to get very expensive.
Shaun is adamant that the stock exhaust cams are plenty big enough.
He recently tuned a car where the owner went for the L&M "Paired intake/exhaust" cams and said it made less power. Apparently Bigger isn't always better.

Shaun is adamant that the stock exhaust cams are plenty big enough.
He recently tuned a car where the owner went for the L&M "Paired intake/exhaust" cams and said it made less power. Apparently Bigger isn't always better.
This is disappointing and confusing. From what I read, the CJ cams were an upgrade from Boss cams with longer duration and they were made as a pair. So I would have thought that the L&M cams would be along that line. Hard to understand how both make less power than one. Since I am only about 50 min from L&M it may be worth a ride to have a chat.

We already had the CJ cams. The original intake cam was scored when a rocker arm came loose after a mechanical over rev and jammed under the cam. We replaced the CJ intake with the L&M. The original AED Dyno results for the L&M intake was in an 5.0L Aluminator XS In which they replaced the intake cam so we knew it would work and make more power.

The CJ cams are discontinued. I’m not sure it’s worth tracking down a set.

The CJ cams are discontinued. I’m not sure it’s worth tracking down a set.
I did find a set of the CJ exhaust cams for sale but I think instead I will look at possibly investing in some CNC head work. Since I have to strip the heads bare why not clean them up. If the pistons in the Aluminator would allow larger valves with the current cams that might be something I look at. The cost will be significant and it will likely delay when I get back on track so I have to decide what's more important.

Monaca Pa
I did find a set of the CJ exhaust cams for sale but I think instead I will look at possibly investing in some CNC head work. Since I have to strip the heads bare why not clean them up. If the pistons in the Aluminator would allow larger valves with the current cams that might be something I look at. The cost will be significant and it will likely delay when I get back on track so I have to decide what's more important.
Gen 3 Coyote improvements over Gen 1, Gen 2:
• Larger bores to allow for larger valves

• Larger intake valves
• Larger exhaust valves

• Higher compression 12:1 pistons with deeper cutouts to clear the new larger valves

Make double sure you don't have a bent valve when you re use the old heads, but sounds like a reasonable decision to me.

TMO Supporting Vendors