The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are numerous web articles that discuss the internal changes made from Gen 1 to Gen 3. The changes in oil and coolant paths do address some of the early issues but it doesn't completely fix the weaknesses in the package. As 2012-Boss mentioned, if you are going to go high-boost or road race you need forged pieces and that's why I went with an Aluminator.....or you can build it yourself.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Hmmm, struggling to find anything related to internal oil/coolant passage paths changes/improvements, but I'll keep an eye out for articles. I'm savvy to the need for forged parts. Thanks guys!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
The factory Gen 3 short block is a good piece. But, it uses the 2012 - 2013 Boss 302 sintered / powder metal forged connecting rods. If the OP is concerned about the strength of the OEM rods, he needs to use a set of Manley's or other aftermarket forged rod.
Shaun at AED recommended this short block, I was under the impression that the rods are the same as the gen 2. Can anyone confirm?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
OE rods are powdered metal...check under FP parts, complete engines...$5500 for a long block -M6006-M50C.

Aluminator rods are forged Manley...and a wee bit more $$$ vs OE block :rolleyes:.

Shaun at AED recommended this short block, I was under the impression that the rods are the same as the gen 2. Can anyone confirm?

Fabman, the rods in the Gen 2 and Gen 3 are the same. Both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 use the sintered forged rods from the 2012 - 2013 Boss 302. The rods are better than the standard 2011 - 2014 GT rods, but not nearly as good as the Manley rods.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I went trough 3 motors, the one that lasted the longest and gave me hundreds of hours at the track was the OEM Roadrunner gen1. The two fully forged engines we built after, never got us a fraction of that track time.

Shaun has built 1000+ rwhp engines and if he says don't bother buying a aluminator short block for a NA track build, then thats was enough for me. That, and seeing @Fabman s results and crazy rpm on a junkyard motor!!

I was all Gung Ho on forged internals before as well.... now not so much....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I went trough 3 motors, the one that lasted the longest and gave me hundreds of hours at the track was the OEM Roadrunner gen1. The two fully forged engines we built after, never got us a fraction of that track time.

Shaun has built 1000+ rwhp engines and if he says don't bother buying a aluminator short block for a NA track build, then thats was enough for me. That, and seeing @Fabman s results and crazy rpm on a junkyard motor!!

I was all Gung Ho on forged internals before as well.... now not so much....
Its mostly about oil control and detonation. If you can whip those two the rest is easy.
A lot of builds use crazy big cams with high seat pressure which creates new problems and also limiting or locking out cam phasers which negates the usefulness of that important feature.
VCT is a good thing. Why waste it?

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors