The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My New Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
We actually could get -3.3 on the driver's side but only -2.8 on the pass side. My friend said his 5.0 was the same way....more available neg camber on the drivers side.

I wonder if that's by design? Most pure road courses have more right hand turns than lefts.

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
We actually could get -3.3 on the driver's side but only -2.8 on the pass side. My friend said his 5.0 was the same way....more available neg camber on the drivers side.

I wonder if that's by design? Most pure road courses have more right hand turns than lefts.
Depends on whether they are designed for CW or CCW.

Well after being told but everyone that the NT05's in 295 were sold out and no ETA on new ones, Summit told me that had a supplier that had a set or maybe two. I ordered them expecting to heard it was a mistake but today I got a confirmation they were shipped out. They also came way down on the price to almost match discount tire's price.

2012Boss said:
I got the 265/35/18 and 295/35/18, they only other choice was 295/45.

That's more than a 3/4" difference in diameter between front and rear. The front tires will rotate 19 more times per mile than the rear. My guess is that is going to mess with the AdvanceTrac system. Best bet will be to turn AdvanceTrac OFF.

BossJockey said:
2012Boss said:
I got the 265/35/18 and 295/35/18, they only other choice was 295/45.

That's more than a 3/4" difference in diameter between front and rear. The front tires will rotate 19 more times per mile than the rear. My guess is that is going to mess with the AdvanceTrac system. Best bet will be to turn AdvanceTrac OFF.
Interesting. I always run with it off on track, but the one time I didn't get it completely disabled, ABS got really active. This might explain it?

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
Interesting. I always run with it off on track, but the one time I didn't get it completely disabled, ABS got really active. This might explain it?

Thanks for the info. the front will be 25.31 and rear 26.18 The 285/35 is 25.91 would that have been better to run? There is no 255 size.

I have been running sport mode but think I can turn it off with a stickier tire and be safe. I will try it with the sport mode first time out until I am use to them but please explain better what that may do and what to look out for?

I ordered the Boss302s wheels and Hankook V12 tires, should get here Thurs/Fri, just in time for HPDE this weekend.

kbush02 said:
I ordered the Boss302s wheels and Hankook V12 tires, should get here Thurs/Fri, just in time for HPDE this weekend.
Please post how those tires work for you as I'm planning on using the same ones for the track.

will do, they are my track tires as well. I used the Stock tires at the last HPDE and they got pretty worn down so I'm trying to save them and keep them in decent shape.

CIMG1606.png

05's came today, I looked at the dates right away because I was unsure how old the rears would be. They are 7th week of 11, I was surprised that the smaller fronts were dated 05 of 10. It is not that old but still older then I would have thought. Both made in Japan.

2012Boss said:
cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:

Thanks for the info. the front will be 25.31 and rear 26.18 The 285/35 is 25.91 would that have been better to run? There is no 255 size.

I have been running sport mode but think I can turn it off with a stickier tire and be safe. I will try it with the sport mode first time out until I am use to them but please explain better what that may do and what to look out for?

From the manual:
"WARNING: Vehicle modifications involving braking system,
aftermarket roof racks, suspension, steering system, tire
construction and/or wheel/tire size may change the handling
characteristics of the vehicle and may adversely affect the performance
of the AdvanceTrac system"

AdvanceTrac is computer with a program written to monitor many inputs. Wheel speed is one of those inputs. The stock car comes with wheels that are very close in diameter so the program is expecting to see the tires rotating at close to the same speed. When AdvanceTrac detects the front wheels spinning at a different speed than the rear while also detecting other inputs (from braking, cornering, or acceleration) it will try to correct for the conceived problem. For example, take Gary's observation of increased ABS while in Sport mode. When he was braking hard for a turn, AdvanceTrac detected the rear wheels were slowing faster that the fronts. That cause the computer to think that the rear wheels are about to slide, so it activates the rear ABS to try to match wheel speeds. The net effect is you stopping distance will be unnecessary increased, and almost all the braking will be done by the front brakes.

As far as how much of a difference in size you can get away with, only the Ford engineers can answer that. If I were to guess I say based on the stock wheel tread depth of .3", staying below .6" difference in diameter would be best.

Hope this helps.

TMO Supporting Vendors