The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My New Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BossJockey said:
I guess Scott been doing a lot of burnouts. :D
The rumor mill says he doesn't need launch control, he can make John Force look like a rookie. ;D

Yea I wish. I use to drag a 67 GT with a 427 SO and 4 speed, I was pretty good at it but had no real money to play. I guess I will see when they skuff a bit but I can tell you they break lose a lot easier then the factory tires, even when they were new. I took a turn near the house I always turn hard into and the back end slid a little (like hopping). Anyway good point, I need to go cruising tomorrow and then the brakes, I hate that last time I almost got sick doing it.

BossJockey said:
5 DOT 0 said:
2012Boss said:
General info, the tire rim combo is 58.5 pounds and 60 pounds.
Did you or can you weigh the stock wheels?

I got 59 and 60.5 when I weighed mine.
Good info. I went and weighed my two track wheels setups for comparison:

Laguna Seca 19 x 9 with 265/35/19 Hoosier R6 = 53.5 lbs (Brand new tires)
Laguna Seca 19 x 10 with 295/35/19 Hoosier R6 = 57.5 lbs (Brand new tires)

Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 with 285/35/18 Nitto 555RII = 42 lbs (Corded outer edges)
Eneki PF01 18 x 10.5 with 305/35/18 Nitto 555RII = 47.5 lbs (Worn down to slicks)

I have a new set of 555RIIs on the way and will try and remember to weigh them once mounted. I was stunned how light the Enkeis are in comparison. The Nitto tires probably weigh 3-4 lbs more than the Hoosiers when brand new.

5 DOT 0 said:
We know what the Enkei wheels weigh but I'd like to get the weight of the 302S and 302 wheels without tires. We can start another thread with all the wheel weights. I'm still trying to decide between the STV PP 19x9 and 19x10 wheels or Forgestar F14's in the same size and will weigh them when they arrive.
According to their specs, the Hoosiers weigh:

265/35/19 = 23 lbs
295/35/19 = 25 lbs

That puts the 302S wheels are 30.5 and 32.5 lbs respectively including the wheel balance weights. They used a minimal amount of wheel weights on them since they're just track tires.

Boss Lady

Good info. I went and weighed my two track wheels setups for comparison:

Laguna Seca 19 x 9 with 265/35/19 Hoosier R6 = 53.5 lbs (Brand new tires)
Laguna Seca 19 x 10 with 295/35/19 Hoosier R6 = 57.5 lbs (Brand new tires)

Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 with 285/35/18 Nitto 555RII = 42 lbs (Corded outer edges)
Eneki PF01 18 x 10.5 with 305/35/18 Nitto 555RII = 47.5 lbs (Worn down to slicks)

I have a new set of 555RIIs on the way and will try and remember to weigh them once mounted. I was stunned how light the Enkeis are in comparison. The Nitto tires probably weigh 3-4 lbs more than the Hoosiers when brand new.

[/quote]

How many sessions did you get on your Nittos before they became unusable? How long were your sessions on the track?

We are currently tire and wheel shopping and don't know whether to drop down to 18" and go with the 555RII or stay at 19" and try finding something to run that's not a "racing tire".

Boss Lady said:
How many sessions did you get on your Nittos before they became unusable? How long were your sessions on the track?

We are currently tire and wheel shopping and don't know whether to drop down to 18" and go with the 555RII or stay at 19" and try finding something to run that's not a "racing tire".
I got three very long track days on the 555RIIs. Most of my four track days have been so poorly attended so far this year that often they're just running the track "green". In fact, on Mother's Day I was the only guy on the track most of the day lol. Generally speaking though the sessions were about 20 minutes when there were sessions. I logged about 400 miles or almost 200 laps before cording the right front. I did swap sides and run them backward to try and even out the wear. However, the inside of the rears had at least one more day if not more and the inside fronts had a little life left on the inside, but nowhere near as much as the rears. I just ordered MM c/c plates to increase the negative camber on the fronts to fully even out the tire wear. On this next set I'll definitely swap the rears on the rims after two track days to even out the wear on them. I do tend to run pretty aggressively so am not "tire or brake pad/rotor friendly". It's not that I'm spinning the tires but they are always on the edge of adhesion. The two tracks I've run so far this year are really hard on tires/pads/rotors because you are constantly in a turn or coming off a medium high speed straight. When I go to BIR next week I'm guessing the tires will hold up much much better. It's a very easy track on tires and brakes compared to MAM or MPH.

The only thing I could find in an R-compound tire for 19s that wasn't a Pirelli was the Hoosiers. They're expensive and don't last so if you go the 19 route you'll probably have to run a street tire if you don't want to replace them every weekend. With the additional camber I'm hoping to squeeze at least one more day and probably two out of this set of 555RIIs. I'm not optimistic about the R6s holding up more than two days but we shall see.

Boss Lady

Hey Cloud 9, I know someone running the Hoosiers on a C5 track only vette. On average he gets 1 weekend of hard running before he has to put on another set.

Can you recommend a 18" wheel to run on the BOSS that won't hit the pocketbook quite as hard as the Enkei PF01s do. I'm having to keep tires and wheels for street use, dragstrip use and track use for 2 Corvettes and now I'm adding track us wheels and tires for the BOSS. I just need to know which ones for sure will clear the Brembos and give me a staggered configuration in 18" while allowing me to mount the Nitto 555RIIs.

GA
Ford Racing sells the 18" 2010 GT500 convertible wheels that fit with Brembos (also available at Tire Rack) for about $170 each. They look pretty close to the LS wheels. I plan to get a set for my track wheels.

Just got my Hankook v12's today. They look sweet! 2 19x9 & 2 19x10 for The Boss 302S rims I ordered
849 w/shipping & a $60 rebate final price $790
Now only if I had my Boss to put them on ETA 6/11
Time is crawling!!!

BossJockey said:
So has anybody figured out what the offset is on the factory wheels?
I was just looking at this as I'm probably going to buy the SVT PP wheels as soon as my Boss arrives. Not yet for the Boss wheels but here's the offset for the 302S and SVT PP wheels:

302S I assume they are the same for the 302 LS
F = 42 mm
R = 47.5 mm

SVT PP GT500
F = 40 mm
R = 51 MM

5 DOT 0 said:
BossJockey said:
So has anybody figured out what the offset is on the factory wheels?
I was just looking at this as I'm probably going to buy the SVT PP wheels as soon as my Boss arrives. Not yet for the Boss wheels but here's the offset for the 302S and SVT PP wheels:

302S I assume they are the same for the 302 LS
F = 42 mm
R = 47.5 mm

SVT PP GT500
F = 40 mm
R = 51 MM

Thanks, I'm thinking about ordering some Forgestar F14 wheels (in matte black) but I need to figure out what size and offset to get.

main.php

main.php

That's the other wheel I like a lot. I think the F14 looks nicer than the SVT PP but something in the back of my mind questions the quality of the wheel, specifically the way they drill the stud holes. I was at their office in SoCal a few weeks ago and those wheels look hot! BTW it's been reported that they are made in China and finished here. They told me they are 100% US made. But they don't advertise that so I think the guy could have been lying. I was at their packing and shipping office and their manufacturing facility was right down the street. I also don't like having to use the centering rings but maybe that's not a big deal.

Check out these photos

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f802/teaser-shots-496010/

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel