The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My New Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couple of things to point out, the rims are made in China as expected but the Nitto 555 front tires were made here in the US and the rears are from Japan (I am OK with that). One of the front rims was damaged, I don't doubt that it is new but three of the spokes were scuffed. I was not going to say anything about that, did not want to be that guy even though they were scuffed fairly deep. Then on the inside of the spokes I found what felt like chips but was really a bad paint job. At that point I called them. While we talked I sent him pictures and they told me I could exchange it or take a $100 credit back. I went that way since it is just track tires and did not feel like waiting to mount them.

I think the credit was more then fair and the guy LMR was nice about it. The guy I bought the tires from over the phone was very condescending but I did not argue back with his little statements and masked put downs, just was not worth it. Outside of that the price was right and overall with the refund I guess it all was OK.

Once you get them mounted on your Boss we need photos. ;D

Waiting on the brakes and will do it all at once, a friend stopped over and sounded like you, he wanted to mount them today, lol.

If you remember the link I posted about the matte stripes, I just bought a hood decal in the same. Got it for $55 direct from the supplier. That should finish off the appearance mods for now.

2012Boss said:
Waiting on the brakes and will do it all at once, a friend stopped over and sounded like you, he wanted to mount them today, lol.

If you remember the link I posted about the matte stripes, I just bought a hood decal in the same. Got it for $55 direct from the supplier. That should finish off the appearance mods for now.
Nice. Are you going to install it yourself?

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my window sticker. Should be up tomorrow but I'll still check a few more times tonight. ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice. Are you going to install it yourself?

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my window sticker. Should be up tomorrow but I'll still check a few more times tonight. ;)

Yea, what the hell, can't do any worse then then I did on the spoiler.

As far as your sticker goes, I am trying to remember that, its been a while ::) OK, I know that was low but now you know Ford really does have a master plan, could you even begin to imagine what life on the boards would be like if I was still waiting ;D

The stock tire/rims were 59 each all around. The rear rotors were 13 and the front I think were 25 but not sure on that number.

I went for a quick ride, the brakes had a bad chatter at first during the last foot or two of a stop. I was thinking I did something wrong but it went away quickly. I have felt that before but nothing as harsh as this but I never had such a big heavy rotor up front before. The HP+ seems to stop better then the Brembos but it was a quick ride with no heat, they did stop cold real nice. The tires don't seem to stick as well (555's) but again real short ride.

5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks for the update and good to hear the HP+ stopped good enough for the street. Did you hear any squealing with them? Are you heading to the track tomorrow?

A little, very new and again short ride. Tracking next week.

Rear rotors

th_CIMG1413.png
th_CIMG1416.png
th_CIMG1417.png

Rear tires
th_CIMG1418.png
th_CIMG1420.png

Front rotors

th_CIMG1424.png
th_CIMG1425.png
th_CIMG1426.png

th_CIMG1430.png
th_CIMG1432.png

Yea, the backs are even labeled R and L but are a different brand then the fronts. I questioned them in my head and re-read the instructions over and over and that is what it said to do.

Those are my trailer ramps, they are making the new trailer next week, can't wait.

Pics look good, Scott. Thanks for posting.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the setup on the track. Any plans to get the brake cooling duct kit?

2012Boss said:
Yea, the backs are even labeled R and L but are a different brand then the fronts. I questioned them in my head and re-read the instructions over and over and that is what it said to do.

Those are my trailer ramps, they are making the new trailer next week, can't wait.
Most mfrs run the way yours do. DBA is the only one I've seen run the other way.

Berol said:
Pics look good, Scott. Thanks for posting.

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the setup on the track. Any plans to get the brake cooling duct kit?

I am trying not to take a hacksaw, hammer or drill to the poor Boss anymore but may go down that road, I need to see if I feel any fade with the DOT 4 and dust shields in the trash (OK, storage). Couple of short rides so far, I do like the way the pads feel, seems to stop better then the factory when cold or warm, I have not heated them yet. I can tell right now the 555's don't even feel close to the factory tires, need to see how they stick with heat. The price was OK but I would have been happier with NT05's. I have these now so need make the best of it, next weekend I will know.

2012Boss said:
The stock tire/rims were 59 each all around. The rear rotors were 13 and the front I think were 25 but not sure on that number.

I went for a quick ride, the brakes had a bad chatter at first during the last foot or two of a stop. I was thinking I did something wrong but it went away quickly. I have felt that before but nothing as harsh as this but I never had such a big heavy rotor up front before. The HP+ seems to stop better then the Brembos but it was a quick ride with no heat, they did stop cold real nice. The tires don't seem to stick as well (555's) but again real short ride.

New street tires will feel a little greasy until you scuff them up a little. Don't forget to bed in your new brakes.

TMO Supporting Vendors