The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My New Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Ford Racing sells the 18" 2010 GT500 convertible wheels that fit with Brembos (also available at Tire Rack) for about $170 each. They look pretty close to the LS wheels. I plan to get a set for my track wheels.
Don't those only come in 9.5" widths?

As far as I know, yes. The 19" coupe wheels are x9 and x10.

Here they are on a Roush that I saw at a car show a couple of weeks ago.

DSCN3331.jpg

Boss Lady

Jza1736 said:
Just got my Hankook v12's today. They look sweet! 2 19x9 & 2 19x10 for The Boss 302S rims I ordered
849 w/shipping & a $60 rebate final price $790
Now only if I had my Boss to put them on ETA 6/11
Time is crawling!!!

What size Hankook V12s did you mount on your wheels?

5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Ford Racing sells the 18" 2010 GT500 convertible wheels that fit with Brembos (also available at Tire Rack) for about $170 each. They look pretty close to the LS wheels. I plan to get a set for my track wheels.
Don't those only come in 9.5" widths?
Yep, otherwise I would have probably gone that route too.

Boss Lady said:
Hey Cloud 9, I know someone running the Hoosiers on a C5 track only vette. On average he gets 1 weekend of hard running before he has to put on another set.

Can you recommend a 18" wheel to run on the BOSS that won't hit the pocketbook quite as hard as the Enkei PF01s do. I'm having to keep tires and wheels for street use, dragstrip use and track use for 2 Corvettes and now I'm adding track us wheels and tires for the BOSS. I just need to know which ones for sure will clear the Brembos and give me a staggered configuration in 18" while allowing me to mount the Nitto 555RIIs.
Yea that's all I've ever gotten out of them too. That's why I have been reluctant to run them lol. I am having MM c/c plates installed today set to -2 degrees camber (Hoosier likes -2.5-3 but too much for street) and I got my lap timer back from PZRacing in Italy so I will probably test them next weekend for at least a session.

The Enkeis are far and away the cheapest lightweight race quality wheel I could find.

5 DOT 0 said:
Check out these photos

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f802/teaser-shots-496010/

His car looks good! But,
After watching his video, I'm going to need some new mufflers. :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPaI-dknKZg&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Boss Lady said:
We are currently tire and wheel shopping and don't know whether to drop down to 18" and go with the 555RII or stay at 19" and try finding something to run that's not a "racing tire".

Boss Lady, I going thru the same dilemma. I would really like to stay with the same size diameter wheels front to rear so I can use Advancetrac in sport mode. It seem the only way to do that with R compound tires is to run a square setup. So for now I'm going to find the stickiest street tires I can find. The only Extreme Performance tire near our size I can find are the Potenza RE-11. Your choices are 245/45 18 and 275/40 18 or 245/40 19 and 285/35 19. There not cheap at $280 - $313 ea. but less than the P-Zeros.

Be careful running a square setup. cloud9 did not like the oversteer and the Ford engineers have stated the Boss cars are setup for a 1-1.5" staggered setup.

Boss Lady, the V12's come in the stock sizes and are what I'm planning on running my first time out on the stock wheels.

BossJockey said:
Boss Lady, I going thru the same dilemma. I would really like to stay with the same size diameter wheels front to rear so I can use Advancetrac in sport mode.
I'm not sure what brake pads you're planning to run, but I found with the DTCs running in Sport Mode kicked off ABS fairly easily. If you're running stock or a less aggressive compound it might not be an issue.

Boss Lady said:
Jza1736 said:
Just got my Hankook v12's today. They look sweet! 2 19x9 & 2 19x10 for The Boss 302S rims I ordered
849 w/shipping & a $60 rebate final price $790
Now only if I had my Boss to put them on ETA 6/11
Time is crawling!!!

What size Hankook V12s did you mount on your wheels?

Special Offer:
Buy a set of four and get up to $60 rebate
Front: 255/40ZR19
Rear: 285/35ZR19

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Mustang+Boss+302+Laguna+Seca&autoModClar=&frontWidth=255/&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=19&frontSortCode=57450&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=19&rearSortCode=57950&tab=All

Looks like a good option to try if running street tires. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Pirellis. You might also consider the Yokohama Advan Sports. I run them on the street for my GT500 and I've been very happy with them. I haven't ever run them on the track, but they perform well under "spirited" street driving :D Treadwear of 180 so probably softer and looks like they would run about $1241 including shipping. More than the Hankooks but cheaper than the Pirellis.

cloud9 said:
Yea that's all I've ever gotten out of them too. That's why I have been reluctant to run them lol. I am having MM c/c plates installed today set to -2 degrees camber (Hoosier likes -2.5-3 but too much for street) and I got my lap timer back from PZRacing in Italy so I will probably test them next weekend for at least a session.

Let us know how the MM plate install goes and if you got enough camber out of them. Was getting ready to order a set but the Excursion decided to destroy a front left bearing. Yikes, there goes this month's toy budget. :mad:

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
Boss Lady, I going thru the same dilemma. I would really like to stay with the same size diameter wheels front to rear so I can use Advancetrac in sport mode.
I'm not sure what brake pads you're planning to run, but I found with the DTCs running in Sport Mode kicked off ABS fairly easily. If you're running stock or a less aggressive compound it might not be an issue.

Was this when you were running the square setup or one with shorter fronts? My thinking on this is that the computer might misinterpret the slower speed of the rear tires as impending lockup and activate the ABS too soon or apply extra braking to the fronts to try and match speeds.
When the Boss makes it to the track, I'll most likely be running a track pad.

I plan on doing an autocross later this month and play with the Advancetrac at the limit to see how it behaves. In the M3 the traction control is to aggressive so it gets turned off for the track. Of course that is a 13 year old system. I'm sure they have come a long way since then.

Boss Lady

As a novice, I'm a little leary of the Hankooks after reading a review by a guy who races a C5 vette. He compiled a track set-up manual from everything he learned over the years and then posted it to the forum for other C5 owners to use. That would be something really cool to do for the BOSS.

This may not apply at all on a Mustang, but I'd prefer a tire that isn't quite as sensitive to tire pressure changes when it comes to handling characteristics.

This is what he wrote of his experience with the V12 Evo K110:

Good for wet/dry consistently, but not cold. In the dry they keep heating up all day with regular air and need to be bled all day until they finally level out and stop expanding after about 3 sessions. They do not like pressure, and 36 lbs makes the tire change from pretty decent to s***ty in a hurry. I like 35 front pressure MAX and 33-34 rear. You can very consistently drift the car through a corner with these settings. They need a slow heat cycle or they will grease, first time on track take it easy about 4-6 laps on the dry if new. Good turn in, and less power oversteer than the PS or PS2. Again be warned, stay under 36 lbs, at 37 lbs they grease and get completely unmanageable which caused me to drop a wheel off.

Right now I'm looking at the Kumho Ecsta SPT. I like the Ecsta XS better but they don't come in the right size. Since I'll only be hitting the track 3-4 times/year, but the Autocross every month, these will probably work best for my application and they have them in the stock 19" sizes. The reveiw has them as a great AutoX and street combo, decent wet use as well. Consistent from cold to hot with traction and don't grease in right pressure range at all. The price is $192 and $206 which doesn't hurt either.

BossJockey said:
Was this when you were running the square setup or one with shorter fronts? My thinking on this is that the computer might misinterpret the slower speed of the rear tires as impending lockup and activate the ABS too soon or apply extra braking to the fronts to try and match speeds.
When the Boss makes it to the track, I'll most likely be running a track pad.
This was running the shorter fronts on a staggered width. I didn't intend to be in sport mode, I just apparently didn't hold the button long enough. ABS started kicking in on me unexpectedly and I finally figured out AdvanceTrac was not OFF. I went into the hot pits, shut it off, went back on track and no more issue, so it had to be from not having it fully shut off. I'm pretty sure TCS was off but can't guarantee I was in Sport Mode.

Good question on the different tire heights...I have no idea. I mostly ran shorter fronts on the GT500 but it didn't have AdvanceTrac. It was either TCS ON or OFF and I always ran OFF. Rarely if ever engaged ABS in that car on the track or street.

Boss Lady

I have a question for all of you. I just found out the BOSS has been placed on hold again. If we were to buy the SVT BOSS 302S wheels and mount the stock size tires 255/40R/19 and 285/35R/19 on them, could I run these on my 2010 GT Premium if the BOSS doesn't get here in time for the HPDE that I've already paid for. My GTP is currently equipped with 245/45R/19s all the way around.

I'm not concerned about the fronts, it's the rears. I've been told you can bump up 20mm wider than stock OEM with no issue, 30 mm is very tire brand and model dependent, but once you hit 40mm or over you run the risk of severe rollover and failure.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what setup we could use that would work on either car. We'll drop down to 18s if necessary. We don't want to give up on the BOSS, but I already had to ask the HPDE to move me from May to July. I don't think they'll do it again.

Dean#4AI said:
Let us know how the MM plate install goes and if you got enough camber out of them. Was getting ready to order a set but the Excursion decided to destroy a front left bearing. Yikes, there goes this month's toy budget. :mad:
The MM plates are of excellent quality. We could have gone as much as -2.8 but that looked pretty wicked. Not sure how that would be on the street. We settled on -2.2 for now and I'll see how that goes at Brainerd. If I get pretty even tire wear and temps I'll probably leave it there, but if not we'll dial it up some more.

cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
The MM plates are of excellent quality. We could have gone as much as -2.8 but that looked pretty wicked. Not sure how that would be on the street. We settled on -2.2 for now and I'll see how that goes at Brainerd. If I get pretty even tire wear and temps I'll probably leave it there, but if not we'll dial it up some more.

Yeah, I like their stuff a lot. Are those numbers with or without the camber bolts? Like to know what to expect when I eventually put them on.

TMO Supporting Vendors