The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My TracKey Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow! I got the TracKey installed this morning - one hiccup, the software had to be redownloaded. Other than that, install was smooth.

I also noticed the initial higher idle speed right off. After a blip of the throttle came the lopey idle. Out for the drive, the throttle response and engine braking are real noticeable at low speeds. Word of caution - at low speeds make sure you don't lift off the throttle if someone is tailgating - it's like throwing a boat anchor out the back! The engine overrun sound when lifting off at highway type speeds reminds me of the sound I heard in the '71 351 Cleveland. After a bunch of fun, spirited driving, I parked, and opened the door - I swear I could SMELL a difference in the exhaust. This TracKey hits all the senses 8)

Is it worth it - to me it sure is! I was grinning from ear to ear when I parked.

Vince- I heard comments from Ford Racing that you wouldn't want to drive in bumper to bumper traffic with the TK. Sounds like you'd agree.

Vince said:
Wow! I got the TracKey installed this morning - one hiccup, the software had to be redownloaded. Other than that, install was smooth.

I also noticed the initial higher idle speed right off. After a blip of the throttle came the lopey idle. Out for the drive, the throttle response and engine braking are real noticeable at low speeds. Word of caution - at low speeds make sure you don't lift off the throttle if someone is tailgating - it's like throwing a boat anchor out the back! The engine overrun sound when lifting off at highway type speeds reminds me of the sound I heard in the '71 351 Cleveland. After a bunch of fun, spirited driving, I parked, and opened the door - I swear I could SMELL a difference in the exhaust. This TracKey hits all the senses 8)

Is it worth it - to me it sure is! I was grinning from ear to ear when I parked.
Great writeup Vince. I noticed the same thing about letting off the throttle at low speeds! I intentionally used my brakes (even though I didn't need them) to make sure the car behind me knew I saw slowing down :eek:

Vince said:

Cool, thanks for sharing your impressions. I hope to have TK ordered today for install next week. I'm looking forward to having my race car with a license plate drive like one. ;D

Depending on your driving style, I could see a big learning curve when using trackey on the track. I sounds like you will have to be pretty smooth with the throttle otherwise you will have abrupt changes in the balance of the car.

Also the newbie that like to coast into a corner before applying the brakes will have an adjustment too.

I like to use the throttle (on and off) to rotate the car so it will be interesting how I will have to adjust. Too bad I'll have to wait for spring. :'(

Fat Boss said:
Vince- I heard comments from Ford Racing that you wouldn't want to drive in bumper to bumper traffic with the TK. Sounds like you'd agree.

I can understand what they are saying ;)

For you track guys -- do you think the message center alternating flashing the two messages (Track key active and Trackey engine engaged) will distract your driving ?

Dean#4AI said:
Depending on your driving style, I could see a big learning curve when using trackey on the track. I sounds like you will have to be pretty smooth with the throttle otherwise you will have abrupt changes in the balance of the car.

Also the newbie that like to coast into a corner before applying the brakes will have an adjustment too.

I like to use the throttle (on and off) to rotate the car so it will be interesting how I will have to adjust. Too bad I'll have to wait for spring. :'(

It didn't have that "boat anchor" effect at highway type speeds - it's most noticeable at low speed. There is still a nice braking effect at speed, it's just not as abrupt.

GA
Judging from everyone's descriptions of Track Key, it sounds like my FRPP calibration is somewhat of a less agressive Track Key. The changes I have noticed over stock are increased throttle response, heavier engine breaking, and a stronger pull all the way to redline. My gas mileage has actually been a little better since getting it too, but less back pressure from the larger GT500 mufflers and high-flow K&N filter could be a big part of that. And no Skip Shift. ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
Dean#4AI said:
That would be me. ;) I didn't have a problem with engine braking at Track Attack.

Coast! There no coasting on race track. "If you not on the brakes you should be on the gas", said my first instructor. :D

The only time you should be coasting is on the cool down lap. ;)

ArizonaGT said:
I am hoping this more aggressive engine braking will eliminate a brake zone or two, instead of braking I can just lift. We will see...
Like Vince said, it isn't as dramatic at higher RPMs and speed. That said, it might not be as "noticeable" but still have enough effect to alleviate some braking on the track. It will be good to hear some feedback from you Southerners ;)

Dean#4AI said:

Thanks Dean
Sounds like what I am expecting to find out for myself this weekend. I do see it some lifting working to my advantage like the back stretch at Sebring like AGT said.. I am not at the point of being on gas or brake only, in fact since there is no replacement Boss sitting in the pits it is unlikely I ever will get there.

Going to PBIR Sat since there is a two run group format going on. I should have a ton of time to be able to run the black key also and really get a good feel for it out there..

Thanks to all for the reports, going to get my car now. It has been refreshing to hear some good news about this.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PJWANNABE said:
Judging from everyone's descriptions of Track Key, it sounds like my FRPP calibration is somewhat of a less agressive Track Key. The changes I have noticed over stock are increased throttle response, heavier engine breaking, and a stronger pull all the way to redline. My gas mileage has actually been a little better since getting it too, but less back pressure from the larger GT500 mufflers and high-flow K&N filter could be a big part of that. And no Skip Shift. ;D

Maybe, but from what I read in the literature, the FRPP tune for the "regular" Coyote picks up 60lb-ft of low end torque!

How often do you see the message "TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED" ???

I don't think I've seen it yet, but I have heard the change to a lopey idle after blipping the throttle.

ArizonaGT said:
Not sure if I am going to take offense at being labeled a "Southerner" or not ::)

Anyways I will report back thanksgiving weekend.
Wow a little touchy? ;D Just don't pull one of the rifles out of your back window and come after me ;D ;D ;D

GA
ArizonaGT said:
PJWANNABE said:

Maybe, but from what I read in the literature, the FRPP tune for the "regular" Coyote picks up 60lb-ft of low end torque!

I believe it. It is a very different car now and I love it!

Vince said:
How often do you see the message "TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED" ???

I don't think I've seen it yet, but I have heard the change to a lopey idle after blipping the throttle.

You get the Trackey active, Track use only message at start-up, then the Trackey Idle Enabled after the 130 seconds just once. You can hit the clear button and it does not return unless you remove the key.

I see the throttle response everyone was talking about but not the engine braking, it is there but not nearly what I expected. The idle is no where near what I experienced with the car I drove at MMP. The idle is 750 vs. 650 and you can feel it but very different. I would have to say that one person wrote it "sounds like the engine is about to die" that is very close. It is not constant, it has a little shake and once every three second or so the car does one bigger shake. In the Miller car the whole car was shaking and yes it was cool even if I am more interested in other things it does.

I guess the test will be this weekend. I took a quick vid and will post it in a few minutes.

Short vid from outside and then I set the camera on the dash. I think the Milller car would have moved the camera. Looking forward to more reports of people that have been there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLuxcfvqoUc&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel