The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boro92 said:
Wow, that's horrible :(
Random question: What oil were you using, and when was the last time the oil and filter was changed?
Just curious to know if it was the oil being overly cooked--but it would have showed signs in oil pressures if that were the case...

There were absolutely no abnormal noises before this occured too. This is really odd. Just sounded like something let go. It happened to me before once--a road let go. Punched a hole through the block, piston shot up and broke the cam in 3 places. But the motor was already starting not to sound normal just prior to this occuring. You, on the other hand...not the case!

I was using red line 5w-50 and the ford racing oil filter. Had it changed in april but due to the car being down almost the whole month of may i decided not to change it after VIR and would change it after this one. Oil levels looked fine before the event.

First update on the Boss: There is a new hole in the block that wasn't there before. A rod decided it wanted to live a free life and didn't succeed. No word on the heads or valvetrain yet but they just wanted to let me know what they found so far. As for the warranty, the guy thought i had a custom tune so he never looked into it. Once i let him know it was under track key, he said he will look into it. Should know something by tomorrow.

Smilieboy said:
First update on the Boss: There is a new hole in the block that wasn't there before. A rod decided it wanted to live a free life and didn't succeed. No word on the heads or valvetrain yet but they just wanted to let me know what they found so far. As for the warranty, the guy thought i had a custom tune so he never looked into it. Once i let him know it was under track key, he said he will look into it. Should know something by tomorrow.
Don't take no for an answer. If your car is stock or TK installed it should be covered with no questions.

Adding Trackey does change the length of the factory powertrain warranty from 5yr/60k to 3yr/36k for the powertrain only. Additionally, most powertrain parts are warrantied by Ford Racing and not the standard Ford warranty once Trackey is installed. Bottom line is it should still be replaced under warranty and not on you.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Sorry to hear about the blown engine so soon after your accident. At least you didn't add body damage to this incident because of your tow hook;) thanks for the blowfish tow hooks endorsement, by the way! Good luck with the rebuild and hope to see you back out there soon.

isrboss

A rod, and all you had was TK, drop in filter and catback? From my experience Ford and Ford Racing seem to have a disconnect. If it starts getting shady with Ford, I would consider calling Ray or Marty at Ford Racing and get them in the loop, since it was on TK at the time.

EDIT

What tires were you on Smilie?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Can we please keep this from turning into another "I think the TK does THIS to the warranty" thread and stick to the findings from Smilie's dealings with Ford?

Smilieboy said:
Well my motor took a turn for the worst yesterday. It decided to let go while trying to shift into 5th the car went pop and lost all power. You can hear in the video kinda what happened but you cant see the smoke out of the tail pipes. My question is how long did it take for those who have also had them pop to get them back and what happened. Just trying to get ideas.

I can tell you from my experience that my car sat 3 days at the dealer with the service rep saying it was oil related and wanted all my oil change records. I called customer service and spoke with the regional service manager. I told him I had been doing some research and told him about the #3 cylinder issues on some cars. Within an hour the service rep called me back and said a new engine was on the way and I also got a loaner. The new engine was in within 2 weeks. The Boss runs just like new. #1952. Sometimes you just have to go over some peoples heads to get to the right person. Ford did me right and I hope the same for you. It did turn out to be the #3 cylinder hitting the valves I believe due to the warping issue. My Boss is bone stock.

isrboss said:
A rod, and all you had was TK, drop in filter and catback? From my experience Ford and Ford Racing seem to have a disconnect. If it starts getting shady with Ford, I would consider calling Ray or Marty at Ford Racing and get them in the loop, since it was on TK at the time.

EDIT

What tires were you on Smilie?

I was on Michellin PSSs.

The initial assessment by the dealership is the mods did not cause the failure. Tech line wants them to pull the motor to gain a better look at it but because of previous issues with misfires on that side of the motor it will likely be covered under warranty. I was having issues with the number 4 cylinder on my car with misfires for some time, even took it to two different dealerships to try and see if Ford would resolve it. The only thing they did was do a misfire relearn which did nothing. So i stopped going back and just left it. It hit limp mode the session prior to the pop and im starting to believe due to the way NCCAR is set up, oil starvation, spark knock, and running lean have lead to the rod going bust. Either way, the dealer is pushing to have it covered under warranty. The mods do not have sufficient effect on the motor to cause this in his opinion. Ill keep you all updated.

I still don't have a loaner car but he is trying to get me one once they can get a final confirmation this is covered under warranty. That will be hopefully late tomorrow since they have to pull the oil pan and check the heads for damage. If they are messed up then it will be a new long block, if they are fine, then a new short block.

Also, it comes down alot to the dealers to make the call on doing warranty or not. Shops with less tech in performance cars may be less inclined due to the fear that when Ford looks at the parts they send back, if they used the warranty they will be on the hook. At least that is the way i understood him. I could be wrong so don't hold me to that. I was doing this while sitting in the back of an armored truck.

Latest update on the Boss: Motor is completely toast. Everything from the manifold to the catalytic converters has to be replaced. When the motor let go, it went bad. It is going to be covered under warranty at this point. On another note, apparently Ford engineers found my video from the event and when the motor let go. They called the dealer and had them send them the stuff to make sure i was using the red key and that i didn't miss a shift. since i didn't do either and the event wasn't timed then they are going to cover it. I am going to be really curious to find out what happened to this engine and so is Ford. I'm going to get pictures of this hopefully soon. New motor and stuff is on order as of today and i should have an ETA of getting my car back soon.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes, please keep us posted on what happened from their failure analysis. I'm very interested to hear any news. I thought these engines were supposed to be bulletproof, now within the past 3 months or so a handful of them have popped. I'm getting nervous!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel