The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia
Smilieboy said:
Latest update on the Boss: Motor is completely toast. Everything from the manifold to the catalytic converters has to be replaced. When the motor let go, it went bad. It is going to be covered under warranty at this point. On another note, apparently Ford engineers found my video from the event and when the motor let go. They called the dealer and had them send them the stuff to make sure i was using the red key and that i didn't miss a shift. since i didn't do either and the event wasn't timed then they are going to cover it. I am going to be really curious to find out what happened to this engine and so is Ford. I'm going to get pictures of this hopefully soon. New motor and stuff is on order as of today and i should have an ETA of getting my car back soon.

First, I am glad that they are going to stand behind it. :)
Second, your comments from Ford are very "interesting". I bought my car because of what it was marketed for... race car with a license plate. ???
Third, Ford, for the record... I do not track my car... ;)

Im thinking of switching back to the stock tune, would it be okay to run with the off-road LT's setup? I can just put the baffle back on for the airaid intake right?

isrboss

bluemax said:
First, I am glad that they are going to stand behind it. :)
Second, your comments from Ford are very "interesting". I bought my car because of what it was marketed for... race car with a license plate. ???
Third, Ford, for the record... I do not track my car... ;)

Ford is standing behind the motor knowing the car was 100% on track at the time of pop. However popping the motor while having an aftermarket tune, nah, or if they noticed the driver being at fault in video (missed shift etc.) nah, and I wouldn't blame them.

Way to go Ford!

Smilie, I was surprised that you were on street tires as well. Man those PSS sure do grip, I heard them talking but wanting to ask. Were you get loose or were you pushing? I notice in the video the car gets unbalanced, was that due to lifting?

isrboss said:
Ford is standing behind the motor knowing the car was 100% on track at the time of pop. However popping the motor while having an aftermarket tune, nah, or if they noticed the driver being at fault in video (missed shift etc.) nah, and I wouldn't blame them.

Way to go Ford!

Smilie, I was surprised that you were on street tires as well. Man those PSS sure do grip, I heard them talking but wanting to ask. Were you get loose or were you pushing? I notice in the video the car gets unbalanced, was that due to lifting?

I don't think it was pushing, i was entering some corners a tad fast, just trying to test limits. Still getting the hang of the track. I was lifting alot in certain spots where i didn't need to. With this track, i really want to go back. That course was ALOT of fun and requires solid rhythm to make fast.

Sorry to hear this Smiley but it's good to hear that everything is being covered.

Didn't you have the tick/knock that was supposed to be rectified by the TSB for the AC tensioner? I'm asking because my car is at the dealer right now for an increasingly loud tick, high engine pressure and continual cylinder #4 & 7 misfires. I have no idea if they are going to do more than the re-learn again (would be the 4th or 5th time) but the history with your motor prior to it popping sounds similar to what I've been expereincing. I'm wondering if I should reserve a roll back for my trip to Watkins Glen next week.

Got to take a look for myself this morning. Its as they said. It went out pritty bad. There are pieces of metal in almost everything. Here are the photos of the damage.

The hole
976921_693609790655838_682408749_o.jpg

Corresponding cylinder head
1015581_693609833989167_576310602_o.jpg

Outside view of the block
1014566_693610243989126_1918686296_o.jpg

Inside
976325_693610100655807_1694981058_o.jpg

driver side cylinder head
1015662_693609970655820_1606614313_o.jpg

Passenger side cylinder head
706187_693609893989161_352681403_o.jpg

My question now becomes, since the motor is out, is there anything i should do to try and improve the cooling on this car to try and prevent future issues? I'm thinking the MMR head cooling mod but not sure. Any ideas?

isrboss

I would do the 302R pan! I imagine those extra 2.5 qts. would be better at aiding in cooling. This pan fits our motors, right?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2012_5_0L_BOSS_302R_ROAD_RACE_OIL_PAN_p/m-6675-m50br.htm

I have the FRPP air to oil cooler, 302S radiator, Tiger hood and American Muscle bar grille and it kept it to 240 oil and CHT in 90 degree weather today running 10/10s or whatever it took to pass the GT3RS owned by one of the original investors in Crocs shoes ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I have the FRPP air to oil cooler, 302S radiator, Tiger hood and American Muscle bar grille and it keept it to 240 oil and CHT in 90 degree weather today running 10/10s or whatever it took to passthe GT3RS owned by one of the original investors in Crocs shoes ;D

+1

ps Crocs SUCK

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Wow, that whole thing looks very familiar. (some coyote carnage: http://www.chris-wynne.com/coyote/ )

For cooling, I'd save some money on the FR pan, and go with the Moroso pan before your motor goes back in. Its well set up for road racing with baffles and trap doors, and does pick up 2 quarts as well.

The MMR mod is subjective, not a lot of data, but I can tell you this:

My car with:
MMR built 11.5:1 manley piston'ed roadrunner
MMR head cooling mod
MMR air-oil cooler
Ford Boss 302 water-oil cooler
wrapped stock headers
Tiger racing hood
Moroso steel pan
Fluidyne radiator

Runs very, very cool. So much so I need an oil thermostat in there next time I change fluids. The days of 245* + water temps are well behind my car, and none of the list above (besides the motor itself) was very expensive. Also, to put in perspective, the car is in Phoenix Arizona, and today was 110* out. It runs cooler now on the highway than a 2013 V6 did in south florida over the winter by an order of 20*.

I got it back, but startups sound really rough. Any ideas?'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmP7ODDX5s&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Yep they provided a new long block, intake manifold, and cats. Trouble is they should have put a starter in it. Its getting rougher at start up. Took it to a closer dealership to my house and they are replacing the starter. Hopefully tomorrow.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel