The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well my motor took a turn for the worst yesterday. It decided to let go while trying to shift into 5th the car went pop and lost all power. You can hear in the video kinda what happened but you cant see the smoke out of the tail pipes. My question is how long did it take for those who have also had them pop to get them back and what happened. Just trying to get ideas.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_WJjqPLUOQ[/youtube]

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about this. I can't get the video to play. Is it still up? If so, maybe I'm just having network problems.

What other observations did you make? Does the car start/run at all? Any oil pressure? Noises?

This is getting kind of scary. :(

Bummer. Keep us posted on the replacement motor. It might be a month until you're back on the road.

Sorry to hear about this. FWIW,so far it seems Ford has been taking care of everyone with motor problems. Good luck with the repairs. It appears from the video oil pressure and water temp were normal. Do you monitor oil temp and if so what was the oil temp?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Wow, sorry to see that. Didn't even seem like you were hammering it, I didn't hear a rev limiter hit or a missed shift. Just pop and dies. Good luck with warranty, they are very good if there aren't tune or internal mods. There are some apparent issues with plant QC on a certain range of engines, I think Rick has some info on it. Hasn't been a good month for BMO members; Me, Pete, VT Boss302 and now you. Bright side is no accident or injuries. If they warranty go back to Boss, if it's on you think Aluminator N/A, cheaper and stronger. If your heads weren't involved you can freshen them up and put them on the Aluminator for an even better setup.
Steve

All temps seemed normal and pressure seemed about right for what i see at WOT. Prior to this session i wasn't going into 5th to try and learn the course. This was the first session i started going to 5th. I did see a coat of oil on the front driver's side control arm afterwards so im starting to think the block may be toast but i don't know. won't know till they tear it down. I'll post pictures cause i will be asking for them ::)

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Yikes. Sorry to hear this, I had to go through something similar with my GT

I'd hope that ford picks it up, keep us informed on the progress. I had to go to a custom build for my replacement but I had a very modified car and my use of the car was way too public for Ford to cover me. In the end it worked out but was a very arduous process.

steveespo said:
Wow, sorry to see that. Didn't even seem like you were hammering it, I didn't hear a rev limiter hit or a missed shift. Just pop and dies. Good luck with warranty, they are very good if there aren't tune or internal mods. There are some apparent issues with plant QC on a certain range of engines, I think Rick has some info on it. Hasn't been a good month for BMO members; Me, Pete, VT Boss302 and now you. Bright side is no accident or injuries. If they warranty go back to Boss, if it's on you think Aluminator N/A, cheaper and stronger. If your heads weren't involved you can freshen them up and put them on the Aluminator for an even better setup.
Steve
I'm not sure of the build dates but it affected more of the early builds and has to do with one of the head stud holes being drilled out of spec and allowing the head to warp or worse.

On the plus side i can personally say the pufferfish tow hooks work and can support the weight of the car on a tow truck and up hill.

Wow, that's horrible :(
Random question: What oil were you using, and when was the last time the oil and filter was changed?
Just curious to know if it was the oil being overly cooked--but it would have showed signs in oil pressures if that were the case...

There were absolutely no abnormal noises before this occured too. This is really odd. Just sounded like something let go. It happened to me before once--a road let go. Punched a hole through the block, piston shot up and broke the cam in 3 places. But the motor was already starting not to sound normal just prior to this occuring. You, on the other hand...not the case!

His vehicle number of 2956 would have been one of the last 2012's built; may have nothing to do with the other problem that surfaced with the drilling in the heads that has been discussed, sometimes things just break.

TMO Supporting Vendors