The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My Visit With a Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlier today I stopped a local Ford dealer that has a race red with white stripes Boss sitting on their lot. The sales manager, a guy I've talked to before, called me to tell me it was there and to stop by and he would show it to me. When I arrived the SM was not there yet but one of the sales guys approached me and asked if I wanted to drive it. I knew he couldn't get the keys but of course I said yes. ;D He disappears and five minutes later the SM shows up and tells me I can't drive it but he'll start it up for me! I've seen both a silver and black early Laguna Seca cars but not the Boss and this is the first production car I've seen. Here are some random thoughts about the Boss.

Exhaust: it's not nearly as loud as I thought it would be. In fact I though it was pretty quiet until revved above 5000 rpm. I'll definitely be opening up the attenuation disc and I'll try it without as well.

Wheels: I previously haven't seen the wheels in person but I thought they looked great. I like them much better than the LS wheels. The high gloss black wheels will show water spots and dust very easily.

White stripes: I've been stressing over the white stripes ever since November when I put my deposit on a kona blue Boss. I had not seen a white striped Boss in person until today. I think the white stripes look fine and will look fine on a kona blue Boss. I've been thinking the real issue with the kona blue boss is the gloss black wheels and rear spoiler look out of place with the white stripes. They look awesome with the black stripe cars though. I've been thinking I might change out the wheels with something lighter in color and the rear spoiler with a TruCarbon carbon fiber GT500 rear spoiler. Next to the Boss was a 2011 GT500 with the SVT PP and wheels. I really like those wheels and I think they would look great on the Boss with a carbon fiber rear spoiler. We'll see if I change them out or not. I had this discussion with the SM, who owns a 2008 GT and races cars, and he suggested painting the black spokes white. I've also thought the same thing but I doubt I'll do that.

Fuel Runner Covers: as previously reported those covers are some sort of insulated soft foam and not plastic like I thought they would be. The SM speculated they were to further insulate the fuel to keep it cool for the CAI. Sounds logical to me, anyone else have any theories on this?

Knee room: a few taller guys have complained about lack of knee room and how anything hanging from your key ring will hit your knee. My knee almost hits the key with no ring! It's going to be tight and really tall guys might have an issue with this. (This applies to all Mustangs not just the Boss)

Overall the race red car looks great with the white stripes. If this car had the R/T package I might have driven it home. Fortunately it didn't. The wait continues...here's some photos. Notice the cute unknown nine year old taking someone's new Boss for a drive. Also notice the $10K ADM but I think they will negotiate.

IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The 3V engines are notorious for having a "noisy valvetrain" and loud injectors that you can hear pulsing. Due to this, the engine itself (not talking about the exhaust) didn't have a very good sound to it. I think Ford is trying to eliminate some of the engine bay NVH with those foam covers.

Of course, this is my speculation.

Right now I am living vicariously through other owners who have taken delivery of the RR/Black cars...

[youtube]uMyCa35_mOg[/youtube]

GA
I am 6' 3" and I have to pull my seat up a little in my Bullitt when I wear my helmet at the track, and I usually find that I have to move my key ring out of the way and see that my parking lights have been switched on after I get back to the paddock. During normal driving I have it back a little farther so it is not an issue.

I like it !! ;D Although, I think it would look better with lighter colored wheels, maybe in silver or aluminum colored...

Gearhead31 said:
I like it !! ;D Although, I think it would look better with lighter colored wheels, maybe in silver or aluminum colored...
I originally wanted to swap the white stripes for black ones when I get my kona blue Boss but now I think the lighter colored wheels are the way to go. This week I'm thinking about the SVT PP wheels.

2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-SideSVTPP3chop.png

That kid of yours will catch the car disease for sure. Good job on not taking the car home...I'm sure the extra 10k they wanted helped ;D

Mark said:
That kid of yours will catch the car disease for sure. Good job on not taking the car home...I'm sure the extra 10k they wanted helped ;D
He has it pretty good already. I could have already had a car if I was willing to pay $5K AMD but I passed on my original deal. That red Boss doesn't have the R/T option so that's a deal killer.

Just be careful Rick, there must be a need for speed gene. My youngest (turned 17 Saturday) is a model citizen, great student, and a recipient of two excessive speeding tickets already :mad: My response to his 84 in a 65 on the interstate was "You can't go that fast in the Jeep!". Apparently that wasn't exactly the response my wife was looking for :eek:

cloud9 said:
Just be careful Rick, there must be a need for speed gene. My youngest (turned 17 Saturday) is a model citizen, great student, and a recipient of two excessive speeding tickets already :mad: My response to his 84 in a 65 on the interstate was "You can't go that fast in the Jeep!". Apparently that wasn't exactly the response my wife was looking for :eek:
Two? Yikes, how's that impacted your insurance rates? ;)

On Sunday I took my nine year old twins to a local indoor kart track. This is the third time I've taken them. A couple of times I caught my son coming out of the corner leading onto the longest straight. While I'm spotting him over 100 pounds I was surprised that I couldn't pass him until he let off going into the next corner. He was obviously WOT down the straightaway.

Cool-

I stopped and checked out that Boss as well. Chatted w/ the internet sales manager Rene for some time- knows his cars.

I do believe the car sold on Sunday, and they said it had to go over sticker, I got the feeling 5-7k over was going to work.

I'm looking for an order for MSRP if anyone has a line.

Thanks Kevin

kevink109 said:
Cool-

I stopped and checked out that Boss as well. Chatted w/ the internet sales manager Rene for some time- knows his cars.

I do believe the car sold on Sunday, and they said it had to go over sticker, I got the feeling 5-7k over was going to work.

I'm looking for an order for MSRP if anyone has a line.

Thanks Kevin
Hi Kevin and welcome to BMO. Yeah Rene was the guy I was dealing with until I dropped my order there. It's nice dealing with someone that knows the Mustangs well. I think $5K over will get that car but without Recaro's they're pressing it. Did he start it up for you? Where are you located? I'm in Roseville.

I'm in El Dorado Hills

I didn't have him start it, I just "kicked the tires" and let him know I was a MSRP max type of guy.

I got rid of my charger srt8 about 9 months ago and have been looking for something new, I really like the Boss, but figure I will have to wait a bit to get a sane deal.

Any dealers you would recommend?

I could get one right down the street from me for 5k over. But I'm flying to San Antonio to get mine at MSRP. Just a quick 1600 miles drive home... ::)

GA
Fat Boss said:
I could get one right down the street from me for 5k over. But I'm flying to San Antonio to get mine at MSRP. Just a quick 1600 miles drive home... ::)

At least you're still saving a little money. I would rather spread it around than put it right in the dealer's pocket. :mad: That is like willingly bending over taking it up the arse.

TMO Supporting Vendors