The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Myths and Factoids about the Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I took a pilgrimage trip up to the Detroit Michigan area last week, and met with Mark Wilson of FRPP. I want to thank Mark for taking the time out of his day for meeting with me, and wanted to thank Chuck Watson for giving my son and me a tour of their new Watson Engineering facility and for Mark for showing us the rest! In case you don't know, Watson Engineering makes all the Ford Racing performance cars that Ford sells. Both Mark and Chuck are truly the most friendly and nicest people, and are honest car guys, that IMO, are willing to bend over backwards to help you.

Now to answer some questions I have seen on the forum and some factoids:

1. Despite what you read, you can jack your car up from the differential and K-member. It was designed to do so.
2. The BBS 18x10" wheels the FRPP sells can be used with the 1/2" stud as long as you use the correct lug nut. No issues...none.
3. Ford races the same exact parts that they sell at FRPP.
4. The new 15" brakes are not the stock GT500 brakes. They are true Brembo Racing Calipers and rotors.
5. The transmission used in the 302S was chosen because it was previously run in the FR500S (not to make you want one). This enabled teams to use the same type of transmission they were currently using keeping costs down.
6. Using a different brand motor oil will not void you engine warranty.

The new Watson Engineering facility was amazing. Some pics from the visit (See anything you like):

DSCF1901_zps24a34709.jpg

DSCF1902_zps42566f73.jpg

DSCF1966_zps550d7675.jpg

DSCF1961_zpsdbef6038.jpg

This is the 15" setup that everyone has been talking about.

DSCF1956_zpsc8aa4bf4.jpg

DSCF1953_zps22365490.jpg

DSCF1913_zpsb8610fc8.jpg

This was the famous Cobra Jet that did the wheel stand. It has molted it's body and got a new one. This is what is left over.

DSCF1867_zpsd27edff4.jpg

Very cool photos and update. But if you don't have an update on the CJ intake you'll be banned for life. ;)

I saw the new plenum (which I am pretty sure is done), but I believe the production intake tube from he air cleaner to the plenum is still in development. I saw that it was still being tested over at Capaldi Racing. Mark might be able to shed some light on what timeframe it will be available.

NFSBOSS said:
Very cool photos and update. But if you don't have an update on the CJ intake you'll be banned for life. ;)

Have installed and run the CJ intake , also have one in stock , the dyno numbers are impressive

Tim

bbrgt said:
Have installed and run the CJ intake , also have one in stock , the dyno numbers are impressive

Tim

Do tell. Mods that went with it, parts required to make the change work, Cold air? tune?

AND THE DYNO SHEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmm hmmm hmmm please.. :)

The first batch of intakes shipped two weeks ago and should be followed by a second shipment this week.

As Tim said above the customers that have them are very happy! :eek:

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
bbrgt said:

Tim

As the others have stated.....Any info. that you can provide beyond your innitial statement...would be greatly appreciated. Things like dyno numbers, other mods needed, who did the tune and driveability.

Thanks,

Wayne

mwilson7 said:
The first batch of intakes shipped two weeks ago and should be followed by a second shipment this week.

As Tim said above the customers that have them are very happy! :eek:

Hi Mark,

Sorry I missed you in Austin. Maybe in May for WC?

Thanks for confirming those items for us. I think through various sources and our own detective work on this forum, we were batting a thousand, but it is nice to have the great and powerful Oz just say, "Yes, yep, yep, yes, that one, you got it, yes." I would still love to hear even simplistic downforce information on the 302R wing. ;)

Anyway, I have never been interested in spending much money squeezing a pony or two from the Roadrunner, but hey, if the factory has a new idea, well then count me as very interested. I'm listening closely for future CJ intake info. Thanks again for all that you do, Mark.

I will post the dyno graph later today as it is on my work computer or Mark if you have the copy I sent you , you can post it.
The increases are 30 rwhp and 20 rwtq with gains right across all rpm levels and it makes power up to 7800 rpm.
We will run it to 8000 once we install the high rpm pulse ring. All the dyno runs were done at the dealership on our Dynopack dyno and the tuning done by us with a SCT tuner.
The mods are AR 1 7/8 longtube headers , full 3 inch race exhaust with x pipe and a SCT tune . We used a temporary cold air intake for the dyno runs , we are making a permanent one this week .
Driveability seems fine but remember its a 302S so my street driving is limited to around the block trips.
The parts used are the CJ intake , CJ throttle body and the 123 mm maf housing

Tim

What 15" brake package is that? Ford Racing part number?

As for lifting from the K-member, I guess the suitable spot would be the center @ the ribbed area?

Thanks.

Sarosh

wwilde001 said:
Correct on the K-member...That is why it is ribbed. I am researching the 15" setup. If I get part numbers I'll post for the rest of you.

Below are the Brembo part numbers for the Brembo 380mm front brake package:

XB10511 LH front caliper
XB10512 RH front caliper
09852874 380mm LH disk
09852878 380mm RH disk
20B77115 Bracket (2 required)
16B77021 Bell (2 required)
X203026 Bobbin (20 required)
A10834105 screw (20 required)
O5579320 washer (20 required)
805019 stud (4 required)
MS7 nut (4 required)
WS7 washer (4 required)

These parts are not available from Ford Racing but should be available from any brembo dealer.

TMO Supporting Vendors