The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA allows Camaro 2010+ Convertables but not Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

???

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am going take a wild guess but I imagine that it could be Insurance related. It was not too many years ago that Miatas were okay, on track, and now they are blocked out without a top or rollbar. Considering that it is the highest production sports car Worldwide, I can't imagine that NASA would want to bar the probableMX 5 drivers that might want to do HPDEs, etc. These rulings always cause confusion, but I know with some of the other Car Clubs/Organizations , this has been one of the reasons some cars are banned without specific changes ( normally a top or roll bar )?

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Vadim that list does not prohibit the Mustang Convertible from entering. You will have to go to the morning tech inspection to get your judgement, however.

That list indicates vehicles that the national office has likely seen and inspected in convertible form.
Happy tracking!

I understand that this is just a recommendation list by NASA but a lot of organizations (such as Hooked on Driving) follow it. With Mustang been as popular as it is, I am surprised that Camaro got inspected in convertible form and Mustang did not (but it could be due to the fact that ZL1 is available as convertible and GT350 is not). Also, this list got changed recently, about a year ago neither Mustang or Camaro were on the list.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
My guess is that these are just cars that happened to have registered at NORCAL NASA track events and got inspected. I don't think there is any specific strategy that NASA is going out and certifying certain cars or anything like that.

TMO Supporting Vendors