The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA at VIR march 23-24

I'm 90% sure I'll be there, Steve. I'm bringing new pads with this time so I won't have cut out early. It's my first time running with NASA - hoping to work my through HDPE this year and possibly build a Spec Iron car for competition next year. I will be in HDPE 2. Look forward to seeing you there.
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
darren, what TT class are you planning to run? i have been trying to plan my class choice. i am trying to take advantage of the fact that the GT starts at TTB, while the BOSS starts off with TTA +7 points. having 39 points to work with for performance parts sounds like a good advantage in TTA.
 

Sesshomurai

pufferfish said:
darren, what TT class are you planning to run? i have been trying to plan my class choice. i am trying to take advantage of the fact that the GT starts at TTB, while the BOSS starts off with TTA +7 points. having 39 points to work with for performance parts sounds like a good advantage in TTA.

Since I'm using TT to basically get my skills and the car where I need to be to compete in AIX, I have to go TTU. This will let me mod the car however I need, work on my data logging, lap times and technique. Once I can crack 2:10 on a regular basis, I'll go into American Iron Extreme.
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
hope you aren't planning to be competitive in TTU. the VIR lap record is 1:55! i am also screwed. TTA lap record is 2:01. i ran a ~2:19 (info provided by the vette i was chasing) in january. i know these aren't average times, but they are certainly indicators. oh and AIX lap record was a 2:00. is a 2:10 competitive for AIX?
 

Sesshomurai

pufferfish said:
hope you aren't planning to be competitive in TTU. the VIR lap record is 1:55! i am also screwed. TTA lap record is 2:01. i ran a ~2:19 (info provided by the vette i was chasing) in january. i know these aren't average times, but they are certainly indicators. oh and AIX lap record was a 2:00. is a 2:10 competitive for AIX?

I know. Gonna have fun trying though. If I go in AI (which I might still do), I have to race Cobetto whom I have zero chance of beating (he races a mustang btw), but it's fine. I don't care if I'm last for a while. It's a personal mission for me! And I doubt the lap leaders will be racing all the time. It's definitely going to be a learning process. And that's why I want to do it.
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
i am with you on just running as well as you can and soaking up knowledge without getting hung up on the numbers. i am sure lap records were far from the norm. probably more like 5-10 seconds more. those records are likely perfect weather, with a run small group and a hundered other stars lining up.

do you have baseline lap times for VIR? how much are you going to have to shave off to get to 2:10?

ah, the cobetto factor! when i was looking to run AI a while back, he wasnt racing AI. If he was at that time, I would have built my old car for CMC-2 instead. i wouldn't want to compete against him. he is the AI record holder for VIR, by the way. some have said that being the head of NASA-MA has afforded him oversights on race winning techniques that other racers would be DQ'd for. i personally have no knowledge of this, but the conspiracy theories are great for campfire discussions!;D

regardless, he manages a top notch group. NASA-MA is the most well oiled group of all that i have been with.
 

Sesshomurai

My VIR full lap times are around 2:20 plus or minus a couple seconds.

I left a good bit on the table though.

I need to get my course average speed up about 5-7mph to break into the 2:10 range from where I'm at (to around 90mph). I'll improve from there what I can safely, with the car. If I race with the 'living legends' that's fine with me too.
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
bringing your average up 5-7mph is no small task! luckily, VIR has a lot of high speed opportunity. a simple power addition can make up a good deal of that average...although not up the esses without a much better suspension and aero package. guys in the sub 2:10 range are doing those esses (after the bridge) at 130+. thats insanity in a live axle car!
 

Sesshomurai

pufferfish said:
bringing your average up 5-7mph is no small task! luckily, VIR has a lot of high speed opportunity. a simple power addition can make up a good deal of that average...although not up the esses without a much better suspension and aero package. guys in the sub 2:10 range are doing those esses (after the bridge) at 130+. thats insanity in a live axle car!

No kidding. Thats one area of the track i focus on. I added a CF wing and better dampers but still entering around 118 and exiting around 85. If i take the inside curbs too fast on the stock dampers by the time the car settles to make the next quick bank its scary late. So im forced slower until i get full coilovers or stay off the curbing putting more load on the tires. My goal is 125 in 90 out for immediate future.
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
when i was getting ballsy with that vette i was chasing, i managed to enter at 120 and exit the top of the hill at 105. THAT WAS NUTS!...and i didn't repeat it. i stay off the curbing. the car just hates it. maybe when i get some r compounds, but until then, we have a "look but don't touch" gentlemen's agreement.
 

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
1,094
66
Maryland
well, i forgot to reserve a room until just now. the only rooms left are above the garages next to pit road. actually seems like a cool place to stay, but its kind of expensive. does anyone want to split the room with me? its got two beds.
 
pufferfish said:
well, i forgot to reserve a room until just now. the only rooms left are above the garages next to pit road. actually seems like a cool place to stay, but its kind of expensive. does anyone want to split the room with me? its got two beds.

PM sent
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top